Budget Duty Size 9mm - Home and Truck Gun

BTW-Thanks for your service..even if it was in the 'youngest branch:)

BTW-hard to go wrong with the G-19..I have owned one and between me and my sons, we own 6(Glocks)..reliable, simple, accurate..did I say reliable? :)
Haha, thank you for yours as well. I will say, y'all are swaying me. I have shot the G19 and I can say it is one of the most accurate handguns I have shot. Might have to check the Blue Label price.

Haha, thank you for yours as well. I will say, y'all are swaying me. I have shot the G19 and I can say it is one of the most accurate handguns I have shot. Might have to check the Blue Label price.
Great idea..I think it's in the $425 range for a new one..G19...

Take a look at the Ruger SR9. About the same price range, a little larger than the security 9 but a fine gun. I have both and am currently carrying the Security 9, but I will say the SR will last you a little longer and shoots very nicely.

I'm not a fan of springfield XD guns, they do not fit my hand and I think they are ugly little things.

Canik has its fans out there, and its haters. I've never shot one so I won't speak to it.
CDNN has SR9 for $319. Very tempting.

USAF Ret: said:
I looked up the Walther. That is a good deal. My only concern is the issues folks are having with the magazines.

Is that the issue affecting the PPX’s and the Creeds where the rounds in the mags rattle? I read that on the Walther forum.

Last edited:
Good luck with your search. Any one of the handguns you mentioned would serve you well, just depends on which one fits you best and are most comfortable with.

Last edited:
So...with all that military experience and years of ownership and trigger time, why do you need a safety? Just seems like one more lever to fumble with when you need the handgun the most.
I say this as someone that doesn't carry a pistol with a safety, but maybe he wants it that way? Why does it concern you so much? I'd add that he seems to be asking for passive safeties that are disengaged by using the firearm. If you don't understand why Glocks and the like have trigger safeties, I'm sure we have some threads on here that you can use to educate yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think I'd go for a police trade in service pistol over a new budget pistol. You can get some great prices on M&P, Glock, Sig, etc.

Yep, ex-L.E. 9mm pistols are especially suitable for a 'truck gun' role.

A S&W 6906 in decent condition, along with a spare 12-rd mag, would be great.

I say this as someone that doesn't carry a pistol with a safety, but maybe he wants it that way? Why does it concern you so much? I'd add that he seems to be asking for passive safeties that are disengaged by using the firearm. If you don't understand why Glocks and the like have trigger safeties, I'm sure we have some threads on here that you can use to educate yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
He mentioned ruger security 9, has manual safety, and I'm familiar with passive safeties as my SD9 has one, but by all means, educate me.

Thanks all for the input. Y'all got me thinking of a few other things to look at. Headed to the Post Exchange today to have them look up some prices for me. If they have another 105 Glock sale, I may have to suck it up.

Yep, ex-L.E. 9mm pistols are especially suitable for a 'truck gun' role.

A S&W 6906 in decent condition, along with a spare 12-rd mag, would be great.
Thanks for that. I was looking at some of the older S&W trade-ins. Will keep an eyeball out.

Depending on whether you prefer single or double stack, and if you like alloy framed S&W's or not...you might want to check gunbroker for 908's, 910's and 915's.
Agtman mentioned the 6906. I have a 6904 that's been a very reliable and rugged handgun, as well as my S&W CS9, which I absolutely love.

Back