Budget Duty Size 9mm - Home and Truck Gun

USAF Ret

Looking at the Canik TP9SF, Springfield Defender and Ruger Security-9. All within about $50 of each other. Thoughts and experience with these?

Take a look at the Ruger SR9. About the same price range, a little larger than the security 9 but a fine gun. I have both and am currently carrying the Security 9, but I will say the SR will last you a little longer and shoots very nicely.

I'm not a fan of springfield XD guns, they do not fit my hand and I think they are ugly little things.

Canik has its fans out there, and its haters. I've never shot one so I won't speak to it.

I like the Security 9 and I see it on sale for $280 often. If I was in the market for another 9mm truck gun - the Security 9 would be my choice.

Looking at the Canik TP9SF, Springfield Defender and Ruger Security-9. All within about $50 of each other. Thoughts and experience with these?

Springfield Defender is the old version XD, without the junk you don't need. Despite the Internet naysayers, I think that's a good choice.

You might also want to consider the S&W SD9. I have the FDE version, bought on Gunbroker for around $225, magazines are plentiful and cheap if you shop around, I have 5, bought all my spares for $20 each. SD9 is very Glock-like, similar to Glock 19, mild shooting, super reliable.

You might also want to consider the S&W SD9. I have the FDE version, bought on Gunbroker for around $225, magazines are plentiful and cheap if you shop around, I have 5, bought all my spares for $20 each. SD9 is very Glock-like, similar to Glock 19, mild shooting, super reliable.
Only concern is no safety and I shot the full size M&P and did not fit my hand well. Don't know how similar the grip is.

Only familiar with the Canik. Don't own one, but I have three friends that have them, and I've shot all three. It's similar to a Glock, with a better trigger. Also the takedown toggles/switches/whatever are better.

Seems reliable enough, according to my buddies, one of whom used his for a training class we took together. 400 rounds without a hitch.

Also at least as accurate as my Glock 19 gen4 out to 15 yards.

I think the only drawback for it is that it's made in Turkey, and Turkey as a nation seems like they don't like us I(the U.S.). Might make it hard to get parts and such if that blows up. Maybe not; I don't spend much of my time thinking/researching Turkey.

I have had a Security 9 for about four months. It has only had two FTE's in ~1k rounds. Both rounds were Tulammo rounds at the end of an extended shooting session when the pistol was grimy. After a good cleaning no issues with the same ammo. For the OP's purpose, I think the Security 9 would be an excellent choice.

Not on the OP's list, but the Walther Creed is rather inexpensive. And so ergo shaped! Really, the latest Walthers seem like they grew in my hand.

I have no history of using the Creed but am very happy with the PPQ which is shaped much the same.

Bart Noir

I think I'd go for a police trade in service pistol over a new budget pistol. You can get some great prices on M&P, Glock, Sig, etc.

Yeah, have not really looked at the Creed. I have checked out the police trade-ins. Those can be hit or miss on wear and tear. Thanks for all of the inputs. I will say, if I had the money. it would be a Glock 19. I shoot it very well. Just on a budget right now and all I have is my compact carry XDs. I also have a Ruger LC9, but it is the old DAO. Want something with more capacity.

You mentioned concern for lack of a safety on an SD9. I don't think the Canik has a safety either. I have to 2nd 5whiskey's Sar suggestion. I have a Sar model with 3000+ problem free rounds through it. They're well made.

Last edited:
The Security 9 is a very solid option. Was my first 9mm pistol a little while back and it fits the hand very well, shoots respectable and is a good size for carry or vehicle. The S&W was in the running but in the end the Ruger had better feel in the hand. Buddy has the SD and he loves it. I broke in the Security 9 with the standard 500 rds and then pulled it apart, cleaned/lubed and now its serving its purpose for me as my everyday carry/tuck it in the truck gun. Once a week it gets a full magazine exercise. The only gripe I have about the gun is the slide release/lock is very difficult to use to release the slide if that's your thing. It just hasn't broken in yet. Safety is also a bear to engage but easy enough to disengage. Buy with confidence. The Caniks are also great pistols. I own the SFX and....wow. but apples to really good apples comparison there lol. You would be happy with any of the suggestions posted so far and probably comes down to picking them up and seeing what feels good to you.

Back