Best deal you ever got on a used handgun

Several years ago, I and my friend were helping out a a local private range. We would go out and check the shooting bays to make sure all were safe.
One of our regular shooters, and friend, had just bought a then new Ruger 6" stainless GP100. He was pretty upset and explained that the cylinder would bind up. I joking said "I'll give you a hundred bucks for it". He said "Here, take it". Astonished, I paid him and took the gun.
At home I discovered a burr on the cylinder star. I stoned it down, checked the others and dry fired it several times. No binding.
Next weekend, I brought the gun to the range and said to my friend "Here, it's fixed, you can give back the $100". To my surprise he said, "Nope, a deals a deal".
Now for the dilema. I already had a S&W stainless 6" 686, which I loved.
Hmm.. Keep one and give the other to my son? I wound up giving him the Ruger. Somehow I think he got the better deal.

ViUjGZE.jpg

Early flat latch S&W Model 34 I-frame 22, misidentified as a Model 17.

I saw this at my LGS and got my wallet out so fast it left a contrail. The owner, who knew me well, was suspicious when I didn't even try to haggle. ;)

Mil Surp mostly

The 80's was a good time to purchase Comblock surplus, I picked up several back then for chump change.

CZ 82 VG surplus condition right around 100 bucks, best DA trigger ever on a military semi auto.

CZ 52: The pistol that thinks it's a rifle. Arsenal refinished 79 bucks.

They all arrived with flap type holsters, only 1 mag with the 82's and the mags are pricey. The CZ 52 came with two.

The 82 can make an OK cc piece.

Not the lowest price ever, but a good deal:

Found a High Standard Supermatic Trophy 102 [the 'space gun'] with all weights, muzzle brake/compensator, 2 magazines, HS wooden grips and the original blonde wooden case for $500.

The pistol has no appreciable wear other than the point the weight screws press under the barrel. I'd guess it would be at least NRA 90%, and might even be 95%.

This is what they look like, but it isn't mine:

H2863-L114728286.jpg

I once traded a Rossi lever gun in 45c that I had just bought for $200 for a Ruger Blackhawk in 327 Federal Magnum. Both guns were as new.

I would have made that trade.

Funny, those Rossi's are being sold for $1000 and up, today. The Blackhawk is several hundred less

I would still love to find a .327, though. That caliber doesn't appear often.

Years ago at a local gun show I watched a deal being made where a guy traded an HK P7M13 for a used Python. After it was done I asked the fellow what he wanted for the P7, he said $800. I paid the man and walked out with it. He apparently didn't know the difference between a P7M8 and M13. He got what he wanted and I did too.

Seedy C, it depends on luck. I just picked up a 1981 Rossi 92 SRC in .357 for $500, or about what good condition used Blackhawks go for in my county.

In the late 90’s I seen what looked to me like brand new Beretta 92F and the guy said it just came in on commission and it was priced at $299 with case, Still have it and still in great shape, Shoot it still as it’s a great gun.

The following is just one of the good deals I received prior to the Covid/Biden explosion of firearms prices. On Dec. 8, 2018 at a live auction, I acquired a S&W Model 29 (no dash) .44 Magnum Revolver. It was unfired in a presentation case with Coke grips/stocks. Auction hammer hit the block at $1,500.00.

Attachments

• 29nodash.jpg
    29nodash.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 32
I can't even find one for sale.

But, I will not pay those prices.

Ruger will catch up with demand.

My OM .30 Carbine is ballistically equal. I will play with it.

I bought my one of my only two used guns about 30 years ago. This one was a Walther PPK/s in .380 made in France/West Germany (Manhurin) and was about 95% condition. I've put about 30 rounds through it since, so it's still pristine. I paid about $230 if I remember correctly. Probably worth in excess of $1,000 now. It's a great shooter but I have so many other guns for self defense/hunting, etc that fill my needs better I rarely ever shoot it.

In Dallas in the early 90's I lucked into a few good deals.
Downtown Dallas there was a regular occuring gun show. Market Hall, I went with my dad one time. Usually spending too much money was the norm. So, I switched to, bring a gun I didn't use anymore and trade into something. I once walked in there with a little 22 auto worth less than $200 and walked out with a used 4 Nickel python. I just kept trading for stuff, and lucked into the Python. I still have it. Lol

Finally finagled it to work on this forum. This was the officers model I purchased about a year ago.

Attachments

• Little Sister 3.jpg
    Little Sister 3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 42
I’ve got lots of good deals because that’s what I look for. A few were flat out steals. In handgun dept the best would have been a Mauser Broomhandle 7.63 with holster rig. This was about 20yrs ago. A guy called me and said he had a German Luger that a uncle had brought home from WW2, would I be interested. I’m not an expert on Lugers as far as in depth collecting, let alone Mausers. Somebody had told the guy Lugers were worth $1k.
We meet in local restaurant parking lot. I immediately said buddy that ain’t a Luger. He was asking how much I would give him for it, asking $500. I was kinda off balance just getting gun out of holster. Before I could say OK he says $250? Needless to say was new owner of Mauser. One of few good deals I manage to keep. I actually built my collection with WW2 bring homes. I was never interested in such, but kicked them out and traded them for classic
hunting and target guns. Many a WW2 vet had a souvenir pistol that he would trade for a 22 pistol or rifle. When I started out a Ruger 22 was $37.50, that’s what I usually traded for Lugers. Anything less was usually a H&R revolver that was about $29.95. The good old days.
You got to remember a dollar was backed by gold back then.

In the 70s, I bought a 1911 .45 from a neighbor. I paid him the asking price, $75. He gave me the set of orders from the army transferring the gun to him upon separation from the service in 1947.

The gun was a civilian Goverment model Colt made in 1918 with a blued finish. It was purchased by the Army during WWII and issued to my neighbor shortly thereafter.

I was offered $3,000 for it in 2015. I still have it. I am holding out for $5,000.

Back