Are revolvers relevant in the 21st century ?

In this world of inflated real estate, quantitative easing currency debasement, falsified government low inflation stats, intrusive governments who make their populations scared so that their citizens will give up their rights for "safety and the attempts worldwide to go cashless or to cryptocurrencies, the only three things I find relevent are in the photo below.

ct7p9nkl.jpg

Give me one reason why this .44 would be irrelevant.
Emmmmm ... 'cause it's a Taurus? ;)

Saw one of those lock-up on the range. Cylinder stuck super-tight. Would't turn or even wiggle. Took the guy's local 'smith two hours using a mallet to get it open and working. :eek:

Most "jams" in a semi-auto can be cleared quickly in the field - by hand - through one of several immediate action drills.

But when the cylinder of a revolver locks-up, you're done without time and tools ... except possibly for using it as an impact weapon. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Emmmmm ... 'cause it's a Taurus? ;)

Saw one of those lock-up on the range. Cylinder stuck super-tight. Would't turn or even wiggle. Took the guy's local 'smith two hours using a mallet to get it open and working. :eek:

Most "jams" in a semi-auto can be cleared quickly in the filed - by hand - through one of several immediate action drills.

But when the cylinder of a revolver locks-up, you're done without time and tools ... except possibly for using it as an impact weapon. :rolleyes:
Lol, as a long time RSO I have seen many semi's that were very difficult to clear with a jam. You forgot to mention that there are more frequent jams with semi's, yes, many can be cleared easily, but that does not excuse the fact that it happens. Heck, I have seen whole slides sent down range with semi's. And there are many that have had to take jammed semi's to a gun smith. I do not own a Taurus, never have, but I can say this, I have not seen the issue with Their revolvers having many problems. I knew the Taurus bashing would come up as soon as I saw the picture. You saw one particular gun fail, so have you ever seen a semi fail and post about it?
I personally know many Taurus Revolver shooters that have been shooting them for years and still going strong. Any gun can fail. Seeing one fail really means nothing. Was the gun in good condition, maintained, how many rounds and on and on.

Last edited:
Any gun can fail. Seeing one fail really means nothing. Was the gun in good condition, maintained, how many rounds and on and on.
Majorly missed the point there, bucky ... :rolleyes:

Yes, any "gun" can fail. Not the point. Keep 'em clean, yadda, yadda. :rolleyes: Still not the point.

Between those handguns we call revolvers and those we call semi-autos, it indisputable that when a revolver fails in the field - as in a cylinder lock-up - it's utterly and entirely out-of-action. When a wheelgun fails in that way, it's catastrophic in terms of an immediate operational remedy.

That's not the case 99.9% of the time with autoloaders.

Yes, I've had times, usually with reloads, where an out of spec case or such wedged itself in the chamber so tightly that the immediate action of trying to clear it free by hand-cycling didn't work. This happen with a 1911. The slide wouldn't budge and a mallet was needed to free it open and expel the bad round out.

But that's rare. Most "jams" with semis can be freed and cleared by hand. They actually have drills for that, if you check around. ;)

The only immediate-action drill for a revolver with a bound-up cylinder is to, first, cuss a lot and loudly, and second, grab your cell phone and speed-dial your gunsmith. :D

Majorly missed the point there, bucky ... :rolleyes:

Yes, any "gun" can fail. Not the point. Keep 'em clean, yadda, yadda. :rolleyes: Still not the point.

Between those handguns we call revolvers and those we call semi-autos, it indisputable that when a revolver fails in the field - as in a cylinder lock-up - it's utterly and entirely out-of-action. When a wheelgun fails in that way, it's catastrophic in terms of an immediate operational remedy.

That's not the case 99.9% of the time with autoloaders.

Yes, I've had times, usually with reloads, where an out of spec case or such wedged itself in the chamber so tightly that the immediate action of trying to clear it free by hand-cycling didn't work. This happen with a 1911. The slide wouldn't budge and a mallet was needed to free it open and expel the bad round out.

But that's rare. Most "jams" with semis can be freed and cleared by hand. They actually have drills for that, if you check around. ;)

The only immediate-action drill for a revolver with a bound-up cylinder is to, first, cuss a lot and loudly, and second, grab your cell phone and speed-dial your gunsmith. :D

Yep, bucky, locked up cylinders happen all the time. Very common. Semi's never need repair or have to even be taken to a gun Smith, (well except 1%.)

99% of all failures in semi automatics can be fixed in the field. Wow, the advancements of firearms just keeps marching along.:cool:

"Most "jams" with semis can be freed and cleared by hand. They actually have drills for that, if you check around." WOW! they actually have drills to fix jams in semi auto's? Dang what will they think of next?;)

Last edited:
Glad you value gold. Know which country has some of the largest amounts of gold? India.

I'll back my US dollar any day over India.

I bought that 3/4 oz nugget in 2001 from an alluvial gold miner, fresh from the creek and paid $220 US per troy ounce so around $165 US.

Now that $165 US can buy less than 1/10 of an ounce of gold.

My pal was shooting his 357mag Security Six , when he had a squib which pushed the bullet halfway into the forcing cone. Locked his revolver up good...until a rod could be found to push the bullet back into the cylinder. Ammo was a fresh box of Winchester.
Another time, a guy near me at the range was shooting a Ruger LCR, and his rovolver locked up due to the bullet in the fifth round creeping forward from recoil. In that case, I was able to pry the lead bullet out with the tip of my knife. Factory ammo again.

It’s amazing that for the first 150 years of this nation, that anyone ever survived carrying a revolver. The way all the armchair experts expound on it, you’d think they would have all been killed.

Interesting how most people don’t consider a semi auto reliable enough for carry unless it’s had at least 500 trouble free rounds through it, but most people who carry revolvers don’t worry if more than maybe a box or so is even really necessary to be considered reliable enough to carry.

I believe that most people who choose a revolver as their primary home defense or carry gun don’t distrust or dislike semi auto pistols, it’s just a personal preference.

It’s amazing that for the first 150 years of this nation, that anyone ever survived carrying a revolver. The way all the armchair experts expound on it, you’d think they would have all been killed.
Now that is funny. And so true. How the heck did they even survive without a High Capacity Micro 9mm? Ya gotta love the internet. Getting back to the original topic, I think there are more than enough post to say, Hell yes they are still relevant. And will be for a very long time.

It seems that revolvers will indeed be relevant for some gun collectors, sportsmen, some paranoid homeowners who want to grab that thing from the nighstand to fire all 6 rounds ASAP and some hunters. The reality is - the are no longer being used by the military, police and even by criminals.

It seems that revolvers will indeed be relevant for some gun collectors, sportsmen, some paranoid homeowners who want to grab that thing from the nighstand to fire all 6 rounds ASAP and some hunters. The reality is - the are no longer being used by the military, police and even by criminals.
This may come as a surprise, but most EDC owners are not police or military. Paranoid home owners only carry revolvers? As opposed to non paranoid home owners that have combat shotguns, AR's and all kinds of Semi's?
So what store do criminals buy their guns? What is their favorite?

Lol, I am having a good time with this. I can picture a ad in a gun magazine saying.
Best Revolver for Paranoid Homeowners.
or
We have in stock, The top 5 guns for the common criminal. So what is the top choice from the crack heads and gangs etc.? I am sure it is a spray and shoot model.
This month, Crack heads and street thugs recommend these models.
Best weapon for Drive by's.

Last edited:
Back