Are revolvers relevant in the 21st century ?

I am one of a few disagreeing with the question.

Size wise, auto wins.
Cost, auto wins.
Caliber they are equal in 357 Gold Dot vs 9mm HST. If not 9mm better as the 9mm is moving substantially slower. (luckygunner 38/357 test vs 9mm test. 9mm HST bests most of the 4" barrel revolver penetration/expansion)

I don't think the question is framed in a relevant manner cause we're all going to buy what we want.

Biggest issue I'm taking is the assumption here being said that a revolver (once chambered) is safer than a chambered auto. Well, both are going to fire when chambered. In fact, an auto will never fire until chambered with a million trigger pulls. A chambered revolver will fire.

Second issue is reliability. Not sure I agree at all. With a cran, forcing cone, main string, extraction star, transfer bar breaks (looking at your Ruger and your million google posts about it), screw, rod, timing...that a revolver will always work is probably stretching it. More so than an auto, I would still disagree. The P3AT "pocket lint" failure days are well over a decade old by now. I'm betting a j-frame is going to get shot out of time requiring actual work long before an auto goes down for actual work.

But meh. Options for sure.

J-frames are an orange in my pocket, no matter the weight. :D

.38 Super comes close to .357 in some loadings...

.357 Sig was developed to emulate the Remington 125-gr. JHP .357 Mag. round...

Those are just two of quite a few semi-auto rounds that approach magnum power.

If you handload, the 38 Super will equal the 357 Magnum with 125 grain bullets. (1,450 fps)

A factory 9X23 Winchester will equal a 357 Mag with 125 grain bullets.

The 357 SIG gets close to 357 Mag in barrels of the same length, but is about 100 fps slower with 125 grain bullets. That said, the SIG bullets might be equally effective as the revolver bullets.

"I do not think it is price as much as it is trigger. "

I think you're overestimating the basic cheapness of the typical American. There's a vast majority of new, first-time firearms owners over the last decade, probably far more than at any point in our history. These people either have no familiarity, or only passing familiarity, with firearms and are depending on recommendations they get from friends, websites like TFL, salespeople at the gun store, etc. And to a very large degree, what they're seeing and hearing is "buy a semi-automatic" (which I think is generally a poor recommendation, but that's another argument).

So, once they get that in their heads, the question becomes... WHICH semi-auto? And that's where price starts to kick in...

Well, this semi is the same size as that one, both have the same number of rounds, but this one is HALF the price of the other one. It doesn't doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which one has the big advantage there.

I spent a couple of years behind the counter at a large and active gunshop back in the 1990s when the "assault weapons" ban, combined with the high cap magazine ban, caused another massive run of first-time buyers for all things guns.

First time buyers looking to get ahead of the ban weren't mulling over the nuances of triggers. The prevailing question we got was I need a good, but cheap, gun. What do you recommend.

I don't see it being any different today.

"J-frames are an orange in my pocket, no matter the weight."

Stop wearing those painted on jeans. On some people they're a fashion statement.

On you? A fashion crime against humanity. :D

If you handload, the 38 Super will equal the 357 Magnum with 125 grain bullets. (1,450 fps)

No, sorry, it won't. Equal the .357 Magnum, that is. You may get 1,450fps with a 125gr, .38 Super, but the .357 will do more than that, lots more...

:D

Seems like the argument has transitioned from are revolvers still relevant, to arguing that semi-autos are better than revolvers... The fact that we're still having that argument proves revolvers are at least still relevant.

If someone asked if single shot pistols, break top revolvers, or cap and ball pistols are still relevant we could have some disagreement. Asking if modern revolvers are still relevant is kind of silly IMO.

How much more? Source for ballistics? Thanks.

How much more? a couple hundred feet per second, if the gun will take it.

Source? Personal experience and loads published in Speer manual #11.

And even some top break revolvers are very relevant. I have a Webley MkIV in 455 that is still as relevant as the day it left the factory, and I wouldn't doubt to use it if necessary.

How much more? a couple hundred feet per second, if the gun will take it.

Source? Personal experience and loads published in Speer manual #11.

I have Speer's #10, and the 357 data does appear to be higher than what is in the current (#14) manual. I'll have to try them.

I get the impression that those old 357 loads exceed current pressure limits. Might that be the case? Thanks again.

Oh, they DO exceed today's wimp SAAMI limits!

today, SAAMI sets the pressure limit at 35,000 psi.

In the day of Speer #11, and earlier ones, the pressure limit was 46,000cup, more than for the .44 Magnum, which at the time was 43,500cup. And, this was the standard when I was doing testing.

In fact, if anything, the results Speer listed for the top end 125gr .357 mag velocities are lower than what I got. HOWEVER, these loads are not suitable for all guns chambered in .357 Magnum today.

When you get up to 19+gr 2400 K frames can have problems and no smaller guns should even be considered. Today the listed pressure limits are much lower charge weights are lower by several grains, and velocity is less by around a couple hundred feet per second with every bullet.

I believe that SAAMI's concern was NOT with maximum cartridge performance but with acceptable performance in all guns, including the lightest weight snub noses.

A couple of further points, SAAMI compliance is voluntary and some ammo makers do not comply. Next, since we're talking about handloads for your or my specific guns, and NOT about what has to work in everything, SAAMI limits are essentially irrelevant.

Now, I'm not saying safety is irrelevant, its not, but there is a large gap between unsafe and SAAMI specs. And, there is also a difference between unsafe and unsuitable.

Top end load from Speer #11 (actually .5gr less than listed max) that Speer got 1550fps from a 6" Ruger Security Six clocked 1620fps from the 6" model 19 a friend had.

However, that load proved unsuitable, for THAT model 19. My friend firing it over my chronograph somehow "doubled" the gun. Fired twice when he only intended to shoot once. Chrony said 1620fps and we decided to suspend use of that ammo in that gun. When opened, the two fired cases had to be driven out of the chamber, finger pressure on the ejector rod would NOT budge them.

Next, we tested the same ammo in my 6" S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman.
Six rounds, all fired normally avg 1670fps and ejection was normal. Blast on the other hand was heavy. :rolleyes:

Same ammo fired through a Desert Eagle, with a 6" barrel, 9 rnds, fed, fired and ejected flawlessly. Vel was 1720fps. And, from a Marlin carbine, velocity was spot on 2200fps.

The CARTRIDGE has potential well above current factory loads or current published load data, but it can only be fully realized in guns that will take it, and not all will.

interestingly, the same Speer #11 that shows 125gr .357 over 1500fps does not show any 125gr .38 Super load that goes beyond 1300fps.

And current Speer doesn't either.

So, in return, where does your 1450fps 125gr .38 Super load come from?

Oh, they DO exceed today's wimp SAAMI limits!

today, SAAMI sets the pressure limit at 35,000 psi.

In the day of Speer #11, and earlier ones, the pressure limit was 46,000cup, more than for the .44 Magnum, which at the time was 43,500cup. And, this was the standard when I was doing testing.

I see that SAAMI's current CUP pressure limit for the 357 Magnum is 45,000 CUP.

A couple of further points, SAAMI compliance is voluntary and some ammo makers do not comply.

Do you happen to know which ammo makers do not comply? Thanks.

interestingly, the same Speer #11 that shows 125gr .357 over 1500fps does not show any 125gr .38 Super load that goes beyond 1300fps.

And current Speer doesn't either.

So, in return, where does your 1450fps 125gr .38 Super load come from?

It's based on current published data. Selecting the right gunpowder makes all the difference. 1,450 can be achieved and stay within SAAMI pressure limits for the 38 Super. (36,500 psi)

Here: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/super-powders-for-the-38-super/99160

I've been able to more-or-less replicate those speeds. Vit N105 is a wonderful powder in the 38 Super.

The 38 Super can be pushed past its limit as well. Col. Cooper made insane ammo with his 9mm Super Cooper from .223 cases. He pushed 125 grain bullets to 1,750 fps and 90 grain bullets to 2,000 fps from a 6.5" barrel. His pressures must have been insane!

I've dabbled a little with Super Cooper-like loads in a 6.0" barrel. Velocities are impressive, but pressure must be insane! I don't recommend that people ever try this.

I've taken 125-gr. jacketed bullets past to 1,700 fps out of a 6" Model 28 Smith using WW 296.

And that was a book load from Hodgdon.

Some of the Accurate powders will get you into the same ballpark.

You're not coming anywhere near that even with .38 Super +P.

I've taken 125-gr. jacketed bullets past to 1,700 fps out of a 6" Model 28 Smith using WW 296.

And that was a book load from Hodgdon.

Some of the Accurate powders will get you into the same ballpark.

You're not coming anywhere near that even with .38 Super +P.

Remington 125 SJHP factory ammo clocks at 1,735+ fps from my Ruger Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel.

There aren't many 38 Super 6" barrels around.

If you overload a 38 Super you can get that kind of speed, which is what Col. Cooper did.

If you overload a 38 Super you can get that kind of speed, which is what Col. Cooper did.
Actually, he preferred the 10mm AUTO as the one handgun cartridge offering the best combination of "speed" (velocity), power, and accuracy.

'Course, the Colonel helped invent it so he understood its capability.

Saw some discussion on calibers and barrel length, just wanted to mention ballistics by the inch, where they compare velocity for specific factory loads in different barrel lengths for different calibers.

They also did some measurements testing effect of barrel gap. Just hadn't seen this site mentioned for a while and didn't want their work to be lost.

The price of J frames have gone up due to the recent panic, but otherwise J frames used to be in the 300's, somewhere like $350 or less. For a revolver with a solid reputation, price wise it used to be equivalent to more budget oriented semi-autos, like a used Ruger semi-auto, or maybe a new LCP.

Considering they're still making revolvers, of all different types, and selling them pretty often, I'd say they are still relevant.

But...Gold Dot 9mm is currently on version 4. HST was released 2002.

Arguing if FPS/pressure makes revolvers relevant is an argument of how to make their standard calibers relevant when 9mm moved far ahead with desired bullet outcomes with significantly lower work by the propellant.

Speer's Gold Dot is the worst performers in the Lucky Gunner test for expansion in both 2" and 4". So it's not that the brand is created equal.

$300 only snagged you a Taurus 85. Even the new Taurus 865 is more expensive. Not a price discussion, but...LCP dropped to $150 for about a year 2 years ago. I bought one from Palmento for that price. S&W revolvers have never been close to that.

When I was a kid, most cops had Model 10 38’s in their holsters. I, on the other hand, was certain in my 18yr old book learnin’, that auto’s were superior in general, and that the 9mm was better than 38 spl…I acquired a nine as soon as I could, a Radom P35 left over from WWII (while I saved for a HiPower).
While I am still most likely to have an auto on hand for home defense, I have come to appreciate the revolvers of my youth. During the great police surplus revolver sell off days a few years ago, I picked up a 4” Model 15-3 .38 Combat Masterpiece for a ridiculously cheap price, and found it to be a handgun I couldn’t miss with… I would feel well armed indeed for just about anything, with the right ammo.
Later, I found a deal on a 4” taper barrel Pre-Model 10, likely a birth year made example for me. I think I paid $225. What a great revolver. I have occasionally carried it, in its Bianchi #3 “pistol pocket” IWB holster, loaded with +P 158gn swchp.
But, I won’t lie…the gun next to me right now is a G22 loaded with 180gn HST…again, police surplus!
If all I owned was the Pre-Model 10, I would still feel very well armed. People went to war with that revolver. Should be ok for Ohio.

Last edited:
Note that the ultimate autoloader cartridge is the .50 Action Express. There's no more powerful autoloader to be had. There are lots of revolvers in calibers that make .50AE look weak in the knees.

Back