Anyone have recent experience with ATF wait times?

The volume of transfers that your state's ATF inspector has on their desk has a lot to do with the transfer time. Also what inspector it is doing the transfer has some to do with how fast they get done.

I feel your pain Deja Vu- I had a check cashed 3 Jan (dropped in the mail 29 Dec) and am still waiting also.

:mad::mad::mad:

How do you guys get the pending date? Is it just a matter of bugging the NFA people to ask? I've only called them one time, and really felt like I was being a nuisance/slowing the work.

I'd just call and ask when it went pending. Now, don't be calling every other day.:D

I knew a guy that literally called every few days or so. I know that can't be a good thing.

Another data point...

Sent: 29 Dec 12
Check cashed: 3 Jan 13
Stamp received: 12 August 13

This one was a painful wait!

Dogtown- I just almost threw my computer. Then I realized you said Form THREE! Was about to be mighty jealous of you.

In 2008 I had two transfers take somewhere around two and a half months. :eek:

If you are sending one in right now, expect it to be about nine months.

new data point:

GemTech outback

Forms Sent: 12/7/12
Check Cashed: 12/14/12
Pending: 12/21/12
Approved: 8/8/13
Received Stamp: 8/16/13

Examiner Sandra Snook

Last summer I had to wait six months to get four SBS shotguns approved... for a police department. NFA said they received only 2 of the 4 apps, which made no sense because we faxed them all at once with a cover sheet saying how many pages, etc. Then followed by mail. I think it just a paperwork glitch, everybody we dealt with was real nice and anxious to get it resolved.

Just picked up my two suppressors today! Now off to try them out.

Check Cashed: 01/08/13
Approved: 08/09/13
Received Stamp: 08/20/13
ATF Official: Sara B. Jones

Last edited:
nothing to do with your class, but the last two handguns i have bought i had to wait up to two days just to get my "instant" background check done. my store says everyone is having a delay on NICS now. really blows

Back