Anyone actually eat one of these?

Probably will have to keep going for some time yet...as long as mother nature will allow me the mobility and strength to get everything done. I buy corn half a ton at a time and it ususally lasts me about 6 weeks. Lifting those 50 lb. bags over your head to fill feeders can do some strange things to an old guy. I only have 5 feeders going right now, so it's not too bad.
I have gotten to where I can remove both hind legs from a medium hog, skin them out and have them in plastic bags in under 5 minutes per animal. I need to keep several knives at hand though if working on a few of them. That sandy, hairy skin can sure take the edge off of one.
Just out of curiosity I thought I'd check out the question of hunting licenses. I e-mailed Texas Parks and Recreation Dept. and asked them about it. They said if a person was on private property with the landowners permission and was hunting hogs for depradation purposes they would not need a license.

we hang it and it is mostly fine even when it is a boar, eat some parts nad make dog food with the rest.

but I did get one old gnarly boar last year that even the labrador didn't want to eat and didn't even go near it when it was shot, otherwise all my dogs love to rug the bodies abit

but that is one in maybe close to 100boars.

Stony, for splitting that dirty hog hide try a plain old simply utility/razor knife. I have a couple Sheffield brand folding ones, can switch the blade end for end in a few seconds (no screwdriver needed) or can even use the hooked carpet blades to cut from underneath work pretty good too. The last ones I did, we cheated and took them to a car wash and washed the mud and crap off of them there. Probably didn't make us very popular with the owners though. Be a bit different with the volume you are doing, but dropping the hams off in 5 minutes you are doing quite well, practice makes perfect huh?;)

Panfisher....I love your idea of the razor knife to split the hides! Never thought of something that simple. I have a gob of knives and none of them (including a couple of Randalls) will hold the edge very long cutting through that hide. No wonder they make footballs out of it....it's tough! I've got a couple of razor knives around here somewhere and i don't know why they wouldn't work good.

Box cutters work great for the hides. I had never thought about it until my dads buddy said something about it last month after I killed a sow. And its great that you can just throw away the blade and put a new one in it and keep cuttin!

Heck don't throw the blades away. Those thin carbon steel blades will sharpen easily and to a scary level of sharp. I resharpen them on a set of cardboard wheels, and if you think they are sharp out the box the resharpened ones are more so. Oddly though I have had zero success trying to sharpen the hook blades.

Panfisher done beat me too it. I also have used the roofing hook razor knife to do the hide cutting. Works great. For the price of new blades, I just use one side per hog, turn it around for the next hog, then throw that blade away.

They work good for deer too.

Wild pigs are very tasty. I hunted them a lot when I lived in CA. The boars are only gamey tasting when in breeding season (called "must"), and much of the year are great eating. Sows and younger boars are best when young, but I like a little bigger chops than you get off of a 100 pounder. Wild pork has little fat and lots of lean muscle, not what people generally expect when thinking "pig". The biggest boar I ever shot was about 350 lbs, and he tasted great. The worst tasting wild pig I ever shot was about 120 lbs sow, and it was just plain nasty, couldn't tell you why.

I don't know about other places, but in CA, wild boar are a game animal and managed as such by the state. Wanton waste rules apply, and you need a license to hunt them. Farmers/ranchers are kind of caught in the middle: they want them gone because of crop damage, but they also make money letting city folk come out and kill a pig. With the amount of damage they do and the income from hunters, it's kind of hard for a lot of the ranchers to make up their minds if they hate them or not.

Last edited:
hartcreek said:

I got rid of California, because I don't care about that state, the hog population is minimal, and very, very few people even attempt to hunt hogs in CA.

New York, I have never checked into, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if they managed their feral hogs.

Florida, you have wrong. Hogs are not a game animal, in Florida. I have personal experience there, but it states such quite clearly in the very link that you provided.

Same thing for Alabama.

And for Texas...
You also don't need a hunting license in Texas - just access to a chunk of private ground.

And... the need to have a hunting license to enjoy firearms-based recreational activities is not a good way to judge whether or not something is a "game animal".
There are many states in which Prairie Dogs (of any species) and/or coyotes are not considered game animals. You may, however, need to have a hunting license to 'hunt' them.

In Idaho, there are many species that are not game animals, but you need to have a hunting license to shoot them. In much of the state, you can't even just go plinking without a hunting license. Due to weird, twisted laws, you need to have a valid hunting license, in order to carry around a firearm out in the desert or mountains.
That fact, with your logic applied, would mean that paper targets and clay pigeons are game animals, since you have to have a hunting license to shoot them on public land. ;)

I think part of the confusion over licensing and wanton wast comes from the private/public land issue. Private lands in Texas have very little restrictions for non game species, and even makes exceptions for some game species. For instance the minimum sizes for certain species of fish is waived for private lands. A bass caught on public waters in my area has to be a minimum of 14 inches, but you can take them at any size from privately owned lakes.
I could not imagine a long owner here watching a big boar on his property and thinking " geeze I don't have enough freezer space right now so I better let him go".

I would never waste a game animal that is native to the region...

However I do not apologize for killing pigs... They can ravage a small farm or ranch quickly... They are vermin... I have always tried to give away the pigs to those who wanted them, but, they must die either way.

It is comparable to trapping or killing a mouse and expecting someone to eat it.

I might add that no one wants a pig at 1am

I got rid of California, because I don't care about that state, the hog population is minimal, and very, very few people even attempt to hunt hogs in CA.

If you watch that TV show about game wardens filmed in CA, then you'll see them actually trying to catch "hog poachers". It's the only state I know of stupid enough to try and actually protect wild hogs.

Okay, what about it? You referring to this part?

Waste of Game

It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit. It is an offense if a person intentionally takes or possesses a game bird, game animal, or fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions of the bird, animal, or fish in an edible condition. It is a Class A misdemeanor to fail to retrieve or to keep in an edible condition a whitetail or mule deer, pronghorn antelope, or desert bighorn sheep hunted without landowner consent; from a vehicle, boat, or aircraft; on a public road; at night; or with the aid of a light.

Hogs are NOT game animals!

Take notice of...

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits

Exceptions

A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals or fowl.
Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.

It's the only state I know of stupid enough to try and actually protect wild hogs.

They protect them because they're a source of license revenue. Per the CDFW https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Hunting
A resident pays $22.17 per "Wild Pig Tag" The non-resident cost is.....wait for it........$74.26! That's per tag and they are not refundable!
And those costs are in addition to a resident or non-resident hunting license or permit.
It's all about the $$$$$

I didn't realize this had gotten so heated.
AR has a neat solution to the feral hog problem & it's completely legal there where I do it.
That's why different states have different laws I guess?

From the AR fish & Game webpages:
Hog Hunting and Shooting Regulations
On Private Land:

Feral hogs may be killed or trapped year-round, by a landowner or anyone with the landowner’s permission (except anyone who has had his or her hunting license revoked).

Said it before and I'll say it again. I'd shoot a hog in the ass with a BB gun if I thought it'd get gangrene and die.

Buckshot, rifles, pistols, knives, axe, pits/curs, a load of Heavishot, sticks, tree trunks and a boat paddle have all been employed.

Back