Anyone actually eat one of these?

I've killed hundreds, but never ate one.... I hear that theys tasty... I have given many away... I always tried to find someone but not everyone wants them... Many have gone to the coyote pile...
Happy coyotes don't kill goats, so it works out...

Man, I can't believe that some of you guys aren't eating the pigs. That's some good meat. Some years ago the Wife cooked ribs off of a small female pig. I was waiting to hear her say they were ready. Finally went in the kitchen and she had eaten all the ribs (they weren't very big and didn't have a lot of meat). I said "hey, what's the deal" and she said that she had intended to call me, but the ribs were just so darn good. True story.

Anyway, when you kill the pig, which ideally would be a female of 80 to 100 pounds or so, hang the pig head down, split the hide along the spine with your least favorite skinning knife and take the backstrap out with your good knife. I debone the hindquarters too. No need to gut the pig at all, so the big mess is avoided. Then I take the remains to the back for coyote bait. It goes pretty fast. The meat is better than venison. You are gonna hate yourself for all the pig backstrap you wasted over the years.

to hear some guys tell it, it's just like any other pig but I know enough about diet to know that it really depends on where you shoot it and how old it is. that picture does not look like an old boar to me. I've seen sows with much larger tusks, I would say that pig would likely be edible assuming it got a lot of greenery in it's diet along with mushrooms, and berries and not a lot of meat in it. as pigs are omnivorous, they are as likely to eat a dead animal as carrion or coyotes and they'll really eat anything they put their mind to so depending on what they eat will likely determine how they taste as much as age and gender.

I have to wonder how those of you that are tossing the boars to the coyotes are not winding up in jail? Wasting wildlife is a serious offence in my state.

Last edited:
I have to wonder how those of you that are tossing the bores to the coyotes are not winding up in jail? Wasting wildlife is a serious offence in my state.
Assuming you mean boars and not "bores"..... (Because tossing a barrel would just be littering. ;))

They are considered "wildlife" nowhere that I am aware of.

Wild pigs are considered invasive, nuisance, or predatory animals pretty much everywhere they're found.

You don't butcher every cockroach that you kill, do you?
...Cause that's roughly what these pigs equate to in the areas where they've become a major problem.

I actually eat some of a sow now and then, and they are very good eating. I feed a lot of corn for the deer...but if it hits the ground it's fair game for the hogs. As a result, the hogs here seem to have a lot of fat on them. There are also a lot of acorns due to the thick woods around the area.
The rifle in the previous post is a 1921 issue model 94 in 30wcf. I often put something like that in a pic as a size reference...sometimes a rifle, a bucket a shovel, etc... The barrel on that rifle is 26" which amounts to about a 44" overall length...so that will give you an idea of the size of that hog. The tusk on the one side was broken off as is quite often the case on the bigger ones, but the other side had one about 3" long...so it was an older boar.
AFAIK, the laws concerning waste and consideration of feral hogs as a game animal mostly concern the west coast states where they are trying to make it a money maker for themselves. Here we can shoot them with anything we please, day or night...and we do. I just take whichever rifle I happen to pick up at the time I'm leaving....sometimes a lever 73, 92, 94...a modern bolt gun, AR15 it doesn't seem to matter and just keeps things interesting. I told the land owner I would keep at it until I hit 500 hogs on this property and he is pushing me to hit 1,000. I'm at 470 so a decision will have to made somewheere along the line. The 70 yr. old mark is just around the corner for me so mother nature might also enter into the decision along the way.

This was an eater...but it's sometimes tough to find enough people to eat it all, and they generally want it delivered to them in cookable condition....not still wrapped in pig skin.

This might give you some idea of the amount of work that goes into trying to process and utilize the meat from these critters. It gets overwhelming at times but I try to get it all used as much as possible. When the weather gets better, my buddy from Washington state will be back down here helping.

The poor tailgate on this old truck takes a beating....with the bigger hogs I have to just tie a rope on them and drag them to an area to remove their limbs. It can be an overwhelming job sometimes...but fun nonetheless.

I have to wonder how those of you that are tossing the boars to the coyotes are not winding up in jail? Wasting wildlife is a serious offence in my state.

Because we aren't in your state. Your state's law don't apply to people in other states.

Hartcreek,

Hogs are an invasive species, and most states treat them as varmints with a policy aimed towards erradication, even though none have been successful.

Of those links you provided, I did not find where any of them require you to consume feral hogs. I did find the one for NY to be amusing though.
New York wants to eradicate all Eurasian boars in the wild. To achieve that, the DEC had to ban the hunting of Eurasian boars.
It takes government to come up with that kind of logic. :)

Anyways, having said that, I can't imagine shooting one, and letting it all rot without using at least some of it, though trying tp process them by the truckload (Old Stony) does not look like fun. :D There are pockets of them in Ohio, but you chances of finding and getting one are pretty slim, so if I ever do have success, I'll butcher it for sure. I got one, a young boar about 30 years ago, and it was truly amazing on the table. Cut it into steaks and roasts. It tasted like domestic pork, but had almost no fat. I'd imagine, like every animal, where you take them, and what they've been eating makes ahuge difference.

Also Hartcreek, while that one FL report may have called them "wildlife" their legal designation in FL is "domestic wildlife - property of the land owner". As such, there is no closed season and no bag limits. Hunting restrictions on them exist only on public land (and even then it is to restrict access to the land itself not the hogs) - private land it's anything goes.

They are not native to North America, not natural wildlife nor are they considered game. They are a destructive and invasive animal. They rip up farmland, tear down fences, scatter disease, foul up water ways and many other transgressions...

Hunting them is not really hunting. Most activities surrounding pig hunting is for extermination purposes. All totally legal and encouraged by local government

Also you mentioned a Texas hunting license....

The land owner or his agent does not need a hunting license...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Stony, thats a good looking pile of eating in the back of the truck, however I can certainly see where with that load butchering would get old quickly. Too bad I don't live closer I would help ya. Used to butcher several pigs a year, had a pretty good system with 3 of us. Loins are pretty easy to pop out, hams take a little longer, but you would need a big old smoke house for all of them. You say you were going for 500 pigs from that property, but you KNOW as long as you are able and having fun you are going for more!

Back