9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP

9mm for home defense. (Recently switched from .45 because the 9mm is the least expensive, reliable handgun I'm willing to risk losing to the polizei.) It's also the cheapest ammo to shoot for range practice, although I still take a .45 to the range every time. NJ still has no CC.

doesn't look like there is a huge correlation between age and caliber
IMO, if we were going to find a correlation, it might be more about each person's formative years in shooting that might show us something, if anything.
9MM & 45ACP for range use with a slight advantage to 9MM for economy with factory ammo.
As I only shoot my own handloads, I find the economical advantage to 9mm far more than slight. Because I do not cast, bullets are (by far) my largest expense and 9mm allows me to use very nearly HALF the bullet weight. That doesn't save me half the cost (of even the bullet) but it is significant.

I shop for bullets in very large purchases to try and get a leg-up on my costs and the very, very best purchases I can pull off on .45 slugs simply don't approach the lower prices of 9mm bullets. On top of that, the 9mm brass is more plentiful and that's not even close either.

My costs for .38 handloads are close to 9mm, but .45 is a good bit more than either.

Weell.

1953 baby boomer, general [pocket] carry j frame: (.38spl)

general hiking usage: .357Mag

Serious carry: 9mm / .45ACP

39 and 45 acp; this is based mainly on having found that I shoot single stack guns better than double stack.

If I went over to double I would have to reconsider.

At 67, for home defense - .45 ACP. For carry - either 9mm or 38 Special +P (depending on the season down here in South Florida relative to the size of the CCW). Have been shooting all three calibers for 40 years and continue practicing at the range.

My favorite is the 357, not really the cartridge but the gun. For carry and home defense I like sig or CZ in 9mm. I shoot the 45 and 40 and do not have any dislikes about them, just prefer the others. Age 58

24 and I guess .40 is probably the closest to "favorite" since it's what I carry every day. I prefer shooting .45's but I've never had the opportunity to handle a full size .40 to know if I'd like it more or not.

I'm 33. I dislike the .40 short & wimpy and it has no place in my armory.

.45 Auto is great for close range home defense. I prefer 230gr bullets in mine.

9x19 is better at a distance. 147gr XTP's give great penetration and is the bullet of choice in that caliber.

Of the three I pick .38spl! :D It's the best for everything.

@SHE3PDOG

I can't say I'm surprised at the results here because:

.45 ACP and I'm 22.

I'm 62. 1911 .45 ACP, and 1911 .22 LR home brew pistol (you would be surprised at what it does to the coyote population here).

And a Ruger SP101 in .38 SPL. Splendid gun with Wolff trigger/main springs and a nice set of Hogue grips.

I just have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of older folks here. People often associate the web with young people. There is even a fairly widespread and obviously wrong stereotype that older people aren't web savvy. It's nice to see age and wisdom here on the forums where all the youngsters can benefit from it. :)

25. I carry 9mm and love shooting it but I find myself running low on .45 more often cause my 1911's are my favorite semiauto in my collection to shoot . I should try a 1911 in 9mm one day to know for sure which I prefer.

Back