9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP

26, and .45 ACP for me.

Carried a M-9 in some not nice places, and would make bitter sardonic remarks every time I loaded a mag or stuck it on my plate carrier.

Carry either a Glock 21 or Commander sized 1911 for EDC.

Really don't have a favorite I guess. I probably shoot equal amounts of each.
I carry an old school .40 S&W most of the time, or a single stack 9mm.

Like some others here though, my favorite guns are chambered in 45. And no, I don't vote democrat or like koolaid.

BTW, 59.

.45auto for me and it matches my age as well. From both my own personal "ballistic-tests" which amount to less than empirical-science like environments to be sure to the tons of research readily available both online and print, I just find the effectiveness of this round to be superior to its 'little-brothers' the 9mm and .40S&W...

That said, I shoot 9mm quite a bit more and have more 9mm ammo on hand precisely because it's 1) almost identical/effective as .45auto using today's advanced ammo technology 2) it's a lot more affordable.

Would love to someday begin serious testing/use of .40S&W as from what I can tell is a brilliant offspring of the .45 and 9mm if mated...I just have too much vested in my current ammo choices to start serious use of yet another caliber...

I think the 40 s&w is the best cartridge out there but that said, 9mm is still my favorite and still my go to cartridge for everything. Age 50

Wow! I'd say .45 seems to be a favorite. For me also. Glock 30 gen 4 .45. Love
it! Only pistol I have or want. Main HD gun is 12 gauge with 00 buck. .45 is my
backup. I'm about to turn 70.

I'm not quite 40 and I never carry in .40. I just don't have much experience with .40 S&W. The few guns I've tried in .40 were models that also came in 9mm. In each case, I found the .40 to be snappier, less comfortable, and less accurate for me. Sure, I could practice around that and get better, or I could just carry a .45 when I want more punch.

I hope it doesn't throw a wrench in the gears but I carry a variety of stuff depending on what I'm doing, what I'm wearing, and where I am. During the summer, it's usually 9mm or .38 special. In colder weather with more clothing, I might carry .45 or .327. If I'm going to be out in the woods or a remote area, it's usually .357.

Well I like all 4 of the main calibers. 9mm,357sig,40,s&w & 45acp. I think that the 357sig is the best of the 4 IMO. I carry the 40,s&w & 9mm most of the time. I almost never carry the 45,acp to low of a round count. When I change the sights on my sig,226 I will carry it with the 357,sig barrel. It shoots to low pta now(with 357sig) but spot on with sights I have on gun(With40,S&W). That why I carry it in 40,s&w Or just carry my CZ'S in 9mm. I am 54 years old.

Last edited:
Volk, i can carry nine rds in my light weight commander and lotsa mags. A lot of people in these forums carry five and six shot revolvers for sd. I'm not sure i completely agree about the importance # of rounds a shooter carries.

Have shot all three, own guns in all three, and a lot more. CCW two out of the three (9MM, and 40S&W), and others.
Of the three limited to in the OP it's very hard to choose one for all purposes. 9MM & 45ACP for range use with a slight advantage to 9MM for economy with factory ammo. Negligible advantage when you consider reloading. 40 S&W for CCW.
67 years with sixty or more of them shooting experience.

Back