6.5mm against elk.

I'd shoot the Nosler Partition. I'd recommend a weight, but I don't use them in my 260 so I don't know what weights are available. If not the Partition, I'd go with the Accubond.

I can definitely tell you that a 100 grain bullet in my 260 does not drop a whitetail as well as a 120 grainer does, so if I was going for Elk I'd use something in the 120 to 140 range in the 6.5. I'd make the choice based on what velocity I could get, so if you can get the 140 stepping along pretty well I'd use that one.

I'd personally buy Barnes if going the monolithic route, seems like they are the most proven. But the E-tip or GMX are probably about as good.

A bonded bullet like Accubond, Interbond, Scirocco or the Partition/A-Frame design would also be a better choice in my opinion over a cup and core or ballistic tip. I want penetration on elk.

With my Tikka T3 6.5x55, I've used a 130gr. TSX bullet @ 2950 fps and a 140gr. Nosler Partition @ 2700 fps.

Both work well.

Barnes would be my first choice. Put it in the right spot and you will be just fine. I like playing with the numbers (Sd, BC, FPS) as much as any handloader but just because the 6.5 120 doesn't measure up to a 140 VLD doesn't make it a hurled rock.

My reference for killing power comes from P.O. Ackley Volume I, hand book for shooters and reloaders. On page 54 under killing power.
Acording to P.O. Ackley a Elk would require at least 1500 Ft. Lb. For a minimum striking energy. 2000 Ft.Lb. For adequate energy and for preferred energy 2500 Ft.Lb. Energy. This book gives a lot of information. Acording to this book that 6.5 120gr. Is minimum at the muzzle. Unless you are taking this Elk strictly for survival. Get more gun and check out P.O. Ackley's books.

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste my time with a lot premium bullets, not at the speeds the 6.5 Grendel will operate. Premium bullets really don't offer any advantage over traditional bullets when the MV starts out below 3000 fps. Mono metal bullets like Barnes, E-Tips, and GMX may not expand as much as a hunter wants at slow speeds. The Swift A-Frame being a bonded partitioned bullet has a reputation for needing blazing speed to get it to open.

The actual impact speed of the bullet being used in the OP's rifle will more than likely be around 2300-2000 fps. It doesn't take a super tough bullet at those speeds to get the job done. I'd be perfectly happy running plain old Sierra GK/PH, Speer HC, Nosler BT, Winchester PP, Remington CL, and Hornady IL bullets they're going to work plain and simple.

My reference for killing power comes from P.O. Ackley Volume I, hand book for shooters and reloaders. On page 54 under killing power.
Acording to P.O. Ackley a Elk would require at least 1500 Ft. Lb. For a minimum striking energy. 2000 Ft.Lb. For adequate energy and for preferred energy 2500 Ft.Lb. Energy. This book gives a lot of information. check it out.

You got to remember one thing while it is a good read and has a ton of information in it P.O. Ackley isn't a definitive source of information. His books were a marketing tool for his cartridges. If you actually needed those energy figures to kill an elk, we wouldn't actually still be killing elk today with a muzzle loaders or pistols as they usually deliver far less than 1500 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle let alone point of impact.

muzzleloader and shotguns using sabot slugs can have close to 2000lb of presure at close ranges.so could some hunting handguns.

the ranges that some people on this forum claim that certain guns can kill game,if those theories were true what hunter would need anything but a .243 or a 25-06.
there is a difference between maximum range for a fast clean kill and the range at which a rifle could be dangerous to animals.you could shoot a deer at 600 yards with a 30-06 if one did not mind tracking it for 6 miles through brush and woods

muzzleloader and shotguns using sabot slugs can have close to 2000lb of presure at close ranges.so could some hunting handguns.

the ranges that some people on this forum claim that certain guns can kill game,if those theories were true what hunter would need anything but a .243 or a 25-06.
there is a difference between maximum range for a fast clean kill and the range at which a rifle could be dangerous to animals.you could shoot a deer at 600 yards with a 30-06 if one did not mind tracking it for 6 miles through brush and woods
You could also shoot a deer at 600 yards, and watch it drop like a rock, if you're a good shot and use the right bullet.
There's records of .243 Winchester taking elk well past 600 yards... .243 win, being a cartridge that barely generates 2000ft/lbs at the muzzle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

A 130 grain 6.5mm bullet with an impact velocity of 1800fps or more should be adequate to harvest most elk, with good placement. The 6.5 Grendel is capable.

Funny that 30-06 was good enough for snipers at 600 yards for nearly 50 years but deer are apparently much tougher than your average soldier wearing a leather trench coat and metal helmet

green_MTman said:

Dude get off the net and go get some real world experience please, and if your going to talk about something at least learn the right terminology. Energy and "pressure" are not the same thing, if you were to impart 2000 pounds of pressure against an elk you would literally blow it off its feet and you and cause serious injury to yourself when pulling the trigger on your firearm. You also need to realize that successfully getting a clean kill on animals has nothing to do with bore size, powder burned, or ft-lbs of energy at POI.

As far as pistols that deliver 2000 ft-lbs of energy at close range I'd like you to name one other than a 500 S&W that carries that much energy past 25 yards and that isn't based off of or shooting a rifle cartridge and fired from a single shot pistol? Not every state that you can hunt elk in allows sabots for ML hunting, Colorado, Oregon, and Idaho don't. However, realistically even a 225-250 grain saboted .35 caliber bullet isn't going to have 2000 ft-lbs much past 100 yards. I never even mentioned shotguns, but what saboted slug will carry 2000 ft-lbs to 75 yds?

Funny that 30-06 was good enough for snipers at 600 yards for nearly 50 years but deer are apparently much tougher than your average soldier wearing a leather trench coat and metal helmet

The difference between hunting and war is that in war it is perfectly acceptable to wound an enemy. Even if he never dies, his wounds put him out of action. Some consider wounding even better than killing because it not only takes him out of the battle, it can take his buddies out too if they stop to render aid.

In hunting, the quicker the kill the better.

Doyle, while I won't deny that for the average soldier a wounding shot is as good as a kill. However, for the sniper as referenced by the OP they are trained to kill and not wound. So the OP has a valid point of the 06 being used as a sniper cartridge to 600 and beyond.

Taylor, it is still really apples to oranges. While a sniper does intend to kill, a human is physically incapable of running 200 yds in a matter of just a few seconds even healthy, much less wounded. A mortally wounded deer can easily do that and more.

Doyle said:
Taylor, it is still really apples to oranges. While a sniper does intend to kill, a human is physically incapable of running 200 yds in a matter of just a few seconds even healthy, much less wounded. A mortally wounded deer can easily do that and more.

So what does the speed at which a deer can run vs. a human have to do with how well a cartridge can kill at range? The deer I shot at 560 yds ran a grand total of 35 yds. Put the bullet where it belongs and no animal is going to get very far. Bullet size and energy other than what is needed to penetrate to the vitals is irrelevant.

@taylorce1

if you interprited my post that way then you did not read.
i did not say anything about energy and pressure being the same.
i have real world experiece.

concervative estimates on rifle shooting are not meant to be taken completly literaly but as a guideline to those new to reloading.

read my post before you defame my charactor

So what does the speed at which a deer can run vs. a human have to do with how well a cartridge can kill at range? The deer I shot at 560 yds ran a grand total of 35 yds. Put the bullet where it belongs and no animal is going to get very far. Bullet size and energy other than what is needed to penetrate to the vitals is irrelevant.

My that statement, you'd be hunting elk with a .223 because it will definately penetrate to the vitals. No, hydrostatic shock is an inportant part of the killing process.

Back