45 recommendations p!ease

You are speaking as an ex-law-enforcement person with experience in tense situation. How about for average joe like me and many many other people that when situation comes up, people get nervous and thumbling around, hand shaking and all that?

I don't really want direct confrontation, BUT this is VITALLY important because there are A LOT OF PEOPLE like me that never have law enforcement experience, AND never shot anybody that might want to carry a gun in some occasion.

So speak for yourself or someone that want to be macho. Don't give others the WRONG idea.

This is like martial arts, you can practice all you want by yourself, until you actually go into the ring and at least do sparring, you DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING. This is from someone that is into martial arts. This I have plenty of experience. When you do your first sparring, everything that you learn is OUT the window. You need actual situation experience.

I have no law enforcement training, nor do I really even have any real training and yes, Ive never had to use my gun in a defensive situation but somebody who may know a thing or two and who recommends training isn’t being macho, it’s just friendly advice. It’s just like when explaining to someone who insists on carrying on an empty chamber; carrying a “true” loaded gun and trying to explain to you the importance of that, isn’t being macho. Again, it’s just friendly advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don’t see how Nanuk’s comments don’t show respect for the gun. I think you’re letting your passed experiences taint this particular interaction. Sure those people you mention exist, but that doesn’t mean they’re here in this thread and nothing written so far suggests that to me.

If we want to debate the merits or dangers of a single action only setup, then frankly that should be its own thread.

Yep, this right here. I don’t know about on a 1911 or not, it’s been Swahili since I’ve held one and shot one but if it’s anything like the safety on my P220, it’s not hard or difficult to switch it off but it’s certainly hard enough that I wouldn’t worry about it somehow being flipped off by accident while I carry it.

Yep, I've had manual safeties get flipped off in the holster before, especially with ambidextrous safeties (one of the reasons I don't like them for carry guns) but it doesn't really matter if the gun is already properly holstered (with a proper, hard, well fitting and good retention holster).

If you are drawing to fire, standard firing grip applies and safety off or being disengaged as you come on target, either way the gun is ready to fire as you are on target.

If you are drawing to administratively handle the weapon (say, unload to clean or put in the safe at night) the first thing I do as the weapon is drawn is verify the location of the safety (with my thumb, pressing upward on a 1911) if it's on, good, if it was off then it's safe now. Then I handle the firearm as appropriate for a loaded firearm.

The one thing I will not do is carry a gun that has a safety, leave it off, and not train to disengage it as part of every draw (to fire, I draw differently for administrative handling, to not mess up my muscle memory). I know some folks like a slide mounted safety to have ON while holstering then turn it OFF after it's safely holstered and assume it'll stay that way in the holster, I don't like to add that random chance.

As for "forgetting" to work a safety in a dire situation, that's just training, grip and repetition. If that's not in ones plan, fine, a SAO is likely not the right platform. Frankly I think folks often don't take training and repetition, especially dry fire, seriously enough with their carry guns, but that's just my opinion.

I don’t see how Nanuk’s comments don’t show respect for the gun. I think you’re letting your passed experiences taint this particular interaction. Sure those people you mention exist, but that doesn’t mean they’re here in this thread and nothing written so far suggests that to me.

If we want to debate the merits or dangers of a single action only setup, then frankly that should be its own thread.

I agree

As for "forgetting" to work a safety in a dire situation, that's just training, grip and repetition. If that's not in ones plan, fine, a SAO is likely not the right platform. Frankly I think folks often don't take training and repetition, especially dry fire, seriously enough with their carry guns, but that's just my opinion.

I hope you’re right but only time will tell when you’re actually faced with that situation. That’s why is just rather play it safe and not have that extra step. That’s why I carry what I carry. It doesn’t need a safety to be safe and doesn’t have one to possibly get in the way and the one I do primarily carry doesn’t get used.

I was showing my newly built 1911 to my neighbor friend the other day. I had just repaired his Mauser rifle stock and we were talking firearms. I don't think he is a pistol guy but has lots of rifles and is a hunter.
I verified that my 1911 was unloaded and handed it over the fence for him to look at. Of course the hammer was back from checking and safety on. He felt the need to lower the hammer so he tried to pull the trigger to lower it down. I pointed to the safety and told him it was on. He move the safety down and again tried to lower the hammer, but could not because he did not engage the grip safety. He handed the pistol back over the fence and I showed him how to do it.

So this is an example of how a safety might actually save your life, if someone were to be able to grab the gun out of your holster in a scuffle, and then not know to disengage the safety. It might just buy you enough time to counter the situation.

Given similar, quality options firearms and their action types are a very personal thing.

The way they fit, shoot, perceptions of safety and or effectiveness come into play as well as simple boosts in confidence a given gun or round may provide (when I say confidence I mean it as a good thing not misplaced or erroneous knowledge providing a false sense of security).

The point is we need to understand everybody is different. I am blessed to have a fair amount of experience with a huge number of firearms, actions, calibers etc. as such I have formed my own opinions, likes and dislikes. I also am usually able to speak to others from a point of actual experience or knowledge. I try to never force a point of view on someone because I know we are all different. I will call out erroneous information, or call out something I see as truly dangerous in a product or use but beyond that I am happy to provide what little knowledge I have and folks are free to do with as they see fit.

I kind feel like everybody in this thread is similar in this regard. Are there plenty of Jackholes in the world......yep and doubly so on the Internet. But most of the folks here are either sharing knowledge and experience or trying to learn from it or in most cases both.

Point is you are absolutely free to hold the opinion you have about the use of a 1911. I don’t particularly like them all that much beyond toys either, but factually speaking they are, especially in series 80 guise, pretty darn safe firearms even more so when compared side by side with modern contemporaries.

I like DA/SA guns. My primary reason for liking them has to do with one very specific safety aspect that is only my opinion and personal bias. In my world I find administrative gun handling is far more likely then gun fighting and I feel that a DA type firearm or a firearm with a safety provides a little more safety leeway during admin handling and since I don’t really care for a safety on most serious firearms I like DA/SA or DA. Doesn’t make me right. Makes me right for me.

Anyhoo sorry for the long winded response. Carry on.

Take care shoot safe.
Chris

. I hope you’re right but only time will tell when you’re actually faced with that situation.

I don’t know about the rest of you but I know exactly how I would handle a deadly force situation. I would let out my battle cry.........which happens to sound like a little girl screaming in fear and I would proceed to provide suppressive fire as I tactically retreat. Hey you could call it running away like a terrified schoolgirl I call it a tactical retreat. Tomato tamato. :);)

If bragging is telling people how good you shoot, then what can I say?

I know that the pointy end of the boom stick faces away from me. Every now and again the bullets go where I want them to :)

To swing things back around. How is the 2.0 Smith in .45 guise? I never cared for the 1.0 M&Ps and I have yet to actually shoot a 2.0 or any kind but I really like the improvements they have made and how they feel.

Sorry guys, I deleted all my posts about the safety, I don't want to start a fight or anything. It's just my believe. I stay with DA/SA for carrying out or not loading the chamber in my Glock.

I hope you’re right but only time will tell when you’re actually faced with that situation. That’s why is just rather play it safe and not have that extra step. That’s why I carry what I carry. It doesn’t need a safety to be safe and doesn’t have one to possibly get in the way and the one I do primarily carry doesn’t get used.

I get that, I do. In fact I mostly carry a Glock, partially because of that reasoning, partially because I'm a few tenths faster out of a holster compared to my EDC X9, partially because I just shoot it so well, partially because it's so light.

But after a decade or so of shooting and carrying 1911s it's pretty much impossible for me to get one on target without disengaging both safeties. It's just part of my firing grip and my hands know. Two hands, one hand, retention. It's just repetition and more repetition. If someone is not interested in putting in the time, absolutely cocked and locked might not be for them, that's fine. DA/SA is probably still the best overall considering moving parts, safety and speed, but that's not for everyone either, especially if they aren't interested in mastering two trigger pulls.

Back to the safety, how many folks depend on a shotgun for HD, or an AR (they should, or at least consider it due to long guns being more effective)? How about wing shooting with a shotgun, plenty of folks do and do it well. All those guns have safeties as well, and a flushing grouse is fast, intense, fun, shooting. Yet you still need to work that safety. Same with LEO or Mil with their ARs in intense, dynamic, environments.

I guess my point is just practice is important, most important IMO. It's a software issue, not a hardware issue.

I loaded up my 20 gauge Mossberg, bought a 6 rounds sticky strip to stick it on the side to put more ammo and put in my room. After talking about bullet penetration, shotgun seems to be a good idea. I have 18" barrel and pistol grip.

One important thing. I change my bedroom door to solid door and I have dead bolt on the door and lock the door when we go to sleep. This will definitely delay the entry of intrudors from coming in and give me time to get guns ready. Something you guys might want to think about. I don't load the chamber of the shot gun, it's easy to rack it.

No, I don't want AR15, too dangerous for home defense. Talk about wall penetrations. All the talks about banning AR15, I am still debating whether to buy one just for a piece of history. If I do, I likely won't buy ammo for it. It's just for collection.

What is wing shooting?

Rule for 45 ACP: Smaller means thicker for the same capacity. Smaller can also mean extra recoil, some of which may be mitigated by the design.

I really like several new guns:

1) S&W M&P 45 M2.0 4.6”, 4”
2) SIG P320 45 Compact (discontinued)
3) Glock 30 and variants

The P320 and G30 are smaller. The G30 is smallest and holds either 9 +1 or 10 +1. Since the P320 has been discontinued, the Glock 30 is the best if you want 10+1. You can try the S&W M&P 45 M2.0 Compact. It is a thick G19 that holds 8+1. The G30 has the same height but is a bit thicker than the M&P 45c. Also consider the HK45 Compact, but it is large. Walther has the PPQ 45 and Ruger has their American.

I think your best bets are the G30 and M&P. I find them to be great compromises that are still in production. The P320 is between the 1911 and G30 and you may like it quite a bit, but you are going to have to search for awhile to find one.

Last edited:
Back