45 recommendations p!ease

Glock 30 is a 10+1 about the size of a model 19. Good guns. The 30S is a slimmer slide model, they’re well lived by my coworkers who carry them, they’re off roster in CA though if that is the evil mag limit state you live in.

OP want 10+1 and light, in Kalif, there's only Glock 30, HK USP, Kahr, SpringField XD9611.

For DA/SA, I only see HK USP......$$$$.

I know how this feel, I want 10+1, I prefer DA/SA. That's why I am still sitting on the fence. 1911A1 is out, I got my Gold Cup, it's heavy, it's big, it's only something like 7+1. It's single action that is dangerous for carry. AND the most sickening, it's NOT thin. In what world 1911A1 is thin? You want 45, it's going to be thick.

I still need to call for pricing on HK, unless they can surprise me, look like if I want a 45 with 10+1, it's going to be Glock30. Even though Glock is not DA, but at least it's a whole hell of a lot safer than 1911A1.

That's why it's so important for OP to say what state he's in.

Willie is right. HK USP.

CockNBama is right. HK USP.

Except the OP is asking for a smaller pistol than a SIG P220 or a 1911, and he lives in a restricted capacity state (standard USP 45 mag holds 12 rounds).

For what it’s worth though, my USP 45 is my favorite full-size .45ACP pistol.

AND the most sickening, it's NOT thin. In what world 1911A1 is thin? You want 45, it's going to be thick.
What? What world do you live in? The 1911 is way thinner than the HK, GLock, CZ.
I measure the frame and it's almost .75 inches wide. A Glock is about 1 1/8 inch wide.
My 1911 is even thinner than my Kahr which is 1" wide.
If you are counting how thick it is in the grip, you can get slim bushings and get the grip way down to 1" width.

What? What world do you live in? The 1911 is way thinner than the HK, GLock, CZ.
I measure the frame and it's almost .75 inches wide. A Glock is about 1 1/8 inch wide.
My 1911 is even thinner than my Kahr which is 1" wide.
If you are counting how thick it is in the grip, you can get slim bushings and get the grip way down to 1" width.

It is thick, I am holding my Gold Cup. It's just big or bigger!!! There's nothing compact about 45!! OP wants 45 and max rounds which is 10+1. If I carry out, it's going to be 9mm or smaller, that's why I just got my Glock 26. If I were OP, I would consider .40S&W, now you talking about smaller 10+1, light and all that.

I know his feeling, I am going through it right now. Also remember, 1911 is single action only, you can only do cocked and locked. It's dangerous. No choice 40 years ago, not a good choice now for carry.

Last edited:
Awesome Recommendations my friends. I love all the Hk kudos, I already own full-size USP .40 and p2000sk in 9mm. I was just testing the waters to see what's my options for a small, lightweight .45 for conceal carry. I live in Massachusetts by the way so I'm limited to say the least. Any way, I found a good deal on a brand new m&p shield 45 today and think I'm good. Small.lightweight and a big bullet....I'm happy. Off to the range, thanx guys.

Congrads, you lucky, you can get the M&P Shield 45. I don't even have this choice.

Hell, you got your problem solved, I still have mine!!! Looks like if I want a 45, it's going to be Glock 30. Not that I complain, but I just got a Glock 26 a month ago!!! It's a little boring to get 2 Glocks. M&P Shield would be my choice.

Let us know how it shoots and how reliable...........OH wait, you must have like 10 days to wait!!!:(

It is thick, I am holding my Gold Cup. It's just big or bigger!!! There's nothing compact about 45!! OP wants 45 and max rounds which is 10+1. If I carry out, it's going to be 9mm or smaller, that's why I just got my Glock 26. If I were OP, I would consider .40S&W, now you talking about smaller 10+1, light and all that.

I know his feeling, I am going through it right now. Also remember, 1911 is single action only, you can only do cocked and locked. It's dangerous. No choice 40 years ago, not a good choice now for carry.

Huh what now? :confused:

The 1911 is one of the most comfortable and thin .45’s around. It certainly isn’t THICK.

As to cocked and locked, I would argue it safer then a cocked and technically unlocked Walther PPQ for example. (Not that I think either is inherently unsafe just making a point about fully cocked striker pistols with no safety)

I am not a “1911 guy” so to speak but they are not thick or inherently unsafe.

I have an HK45; it is a nice gun and has a 10-round mag, which, if you can believe it, has mags that somehow allow you to fit in an 11th.

I believe they have come down in price, I bought mine for a grand. It is DA/SA. Fit/finish is excellent, and is very accurate with what it likes.

As with all other guns now, however, feeding it is expensive.

You are the engineer. Measure it. It's .82 inches wide in the frame. That is thin compare to all other .45's.
Yes, Of cause 1911 is thinner, I just think both are big, one just bigger!!! Gold Cup always feel really big for me.

Yes, Glock and M&P are not DA, it's not as safe also, I feel it's just a little safer than 1911. I still won't load the chamber if I carry out. Why do you think I am still sitting on the fence? I am waiting for the price of the HK P2000SK 40.

Fair enough. I am a DA/SA guy at heart but none of those actions talked about above are inherently unsafe they each simply require differing approaches to safe operation. (1911 safety engagement, striker fired guns without a safety it is imperative they have a properly designed holster that fully and securely covers the trigger. DA/SA we need to remember to decock.

It’s all about training, comfort levels and picking your poison so to speak. Like I said I prefer DA/SA but nothing inherently unsafe about a “Glock” if you will.

I mean all guns should have a proper holster of course just stressing the importance of the holster as a safety component of a striker.

First, congrats on your choice OP.

@Alan0354, do you have thin grips on your gold cup? The grip choice on a 1911 makes a big difference.

First, congrats on your choice OP.

@Alan0354, do you have thin grips on your gold cup? The grip choice on a 1911 makes a big difference.

No, I like how my Gold Cup feel for target and competition. It's the best. I just don't think that's what OP want.

I am not putting down 1911, it's just for totally different use in my opinion. It's the best gun for accuracy for me. I don't want the grip to be any smaller.

But I have my S&W659 under my bed loaded for home defense. If I go conceal, I have from Freedom 22magnum, Beretta 950, Walther PPK 380 for that. If I go target shooting, I would use the Gold Cup and Ruger Mark II(cheap ammo). They each have their unique use.

I have an HK45; it is a nice gun and has a 10-round mag, which, if you can believe it, has mags that somehow allow you to fit in an 11th.

I believe they have come down in price, I bought mine for a grand. It is DA/SA. Fit/finish is excellent, and is very accurate with what it likes.

As with all other guns now, however, feeding it is expensive.

I noticed that when loading my new 10 round mags for my new HK45c. Loaded what I thought was ten, noticed the witness hole wasn't really filled, tossed another round in (easy enough) looked at my ammo tray and realized 11 rounds were missing ...

As for 1911s, yep they are thin. Toss some thin grip panels on them (or better yet also add a bobtail) and they conceal extremely well considering the height dimension of the gun.

And there are plenty of other .45s that conceal well. M&P compacts, the Shield .45, heck the Glock 30S with the 9 round mag ain't all that much bigger than the 26, dimensionally, and doesn't make a difference for me in practice. An officer 1911 with thin grips is a slim, compact, .45 and still gets 7+1, though most are lightweight and I don't like lightweight 1911s in .45.

Awesome Recommendations my friends. I love all the Hk kudos, I already own full-size USP .40 and p2000sk in 9mm. I was just testing the waters to see what's my options for a small, lightweight .45 for conceal carry. I live in Massachusetts by the way so I'm limited to say the least. Any way, I found a good deal on a brand new m&p shield 45 today and think I'm good. Small.lightweight and a big bullet....I'm happy. Off to the range, thanx guys.

I guess I was a little late getting to the party but I was still going to ask you though, being that you have a P220 and a 1911, do you prefer hammer fired guns over striker fired guns or does it matter? I am a hammer fire gun person myself and I was going to recommend the Da/Sa Springfield XDE 45. You probably have more rounds within that MP you just got but I really like this little pistol. I don’t even use the standard capacity magazine that came with it, I use primarily the extended mags and that gives me 7+1 in the gun and 7 more in my extra magazine that gets carried on me.

I’d prefer it to have ten rounds total but I’m pretty confident that Speer did their homework when they created these 230g compact 45 Gold Dots so I don’t really sweat it too much.

But with that said, enjoy your new pistol. Hope it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Of cause 1911 is thinner, I just think both are big, one just bigger!!! Gold Cup always feel really big for me.

Yes, Glock and M&P are not DA, it's not as safe also, I feel it's just a little safer than 1911. I still won't load the chamber if I carry out. Why do you think I am still sitting on the fence? I am waiting for the price of the HK P2000SK 40.

How come you won’t carry the 1911 cocked and locked with a round in the chamber? That’s how a 1911 was meant to be carried.

The only thing I have that resembles a 1911 is a Sig P220 10 mm but I didn’t buy that nearly 45 ounce chunk of stainless steel to be used as every day carry; I bought it for protection against four-legged critters when I’m out in the woods but when I carry it, I carry it with a round in the chamber and cocked & locked. Other than the obvious reason of it being a pretty powerful 10 mm that I run full power 10 mm hollowpoints in it for when it’s in standby mode at the house and because of how heavy it is, I don’t carry it EDC because it still has a safety that has to be turned off. I’m OK with that out in the woods, but not everywhere else. For that, that’s where either of the three PX4’s that I have or primarily my Springfield XDE because they get carried with the hammer decocked and the safety off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then a USP 45 is going to blow your mind. A Mark 23 will vaporize it.

Both make a 1911 seem downright petite.

Back