45 recommendations p!ease

Fair enough. I am a DA/SA guy at heart but none of those actions talked about above are inherently unsafe they each simply require differing approaches to safe operation. (1911 safety engagement, striker fired guns without a safety it is imperative they have a properly designed holster that fully and securely covers the trigger. DA/SA we need to remember to decock.

It’s all about training, comfort levels and picking your poison so to speak. Like I said I prefer DA/SA but nothing inherently unsafe about a “Glock” if you will.

I guess I don’t have to remember to decock because on my Da/Sa hammer guns, I don’t ever start off shooting those in Sa. Even when I go to the range to practice, I always spend about 2 or 3 magazines worth of shooting two rounds, then decocking- and doing that over again. Once I understood how these guns work, I’ve put in extensive practice in always starting out in Da mode since that’s what I think makes these guns safer than any striker-fired gun.

But without trying to spark a debate on Glocks and Glock-like handguns vs DaSa handguns, I won’t carry one or anything like it because to me, they’re too unsafe and in order to make them safe, they need a manual safety but then you’re right back another problem which means you now have a safety that needs switching off before you can fire it. To me, the best of both worlds is a traditional Da/Sa hammer fired handgun that doesn’t need a saftey to make it safe and that longer, stiffer trigger makes it harder to pull over a lightweight Glock. Plus for added safety, you have a hammer that you can press against with your thumb so that if the trigger was to ever snag on anything, it’s not going to be able to go off.

Again, this is my stance so if anybody disagrees with what I said, how and what you carry is what what and how you carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant decock upon reholstering if using in a serious social sense.

I always shoot first shot DA so at range I decock upon each mag reload usually unless I am practicing faster reloads vs practicing trigger.

As for a Mark 23 they are comically huge. They make a P30 look almost like an SK model. :). They are, however fairly light, and shoot absolutely lights out fantastic.

I don't know why so many companies did away with good old DA/SA with hammer. What's wrong with that? The ones that's left are expensive like HK and Sig. Only cheaper one is Sig SP2022 which I am looking for.

Both my S&W659 and Walther PPK drop hammer when put on safety. So you put on safety to drop the hammer and then take the safety off so you don't have to deal with safety when you pull the gun out. This is such a fantastic idea and they dropped it.

I know Glock is a world safer than 1911 already, I know people don't agree but I know if you are in a big hurry, you want to pull the trigger and fire, you don't want to take off safety first before firing, or even cock the hammer before firing. I don't think you want to carry 1911 cocked and unlocked. That's the definition of accident waiting to happen.

Sorry. My Gold Cup is a great range gun and competition, I would just shoot it only if not for the ammo is expensive. I practice more with the Ruger Mark II just because the ammo is cheap. The Gold Cup is definitely better. But I keep my Gold Cup in the safe when not use, the last one I would pick up for emergency is the Gold Cup......The light trigger I made the Gold Cup doesn't help either for defense. It's great for the range, not defense.

I don't know why so many companies did away with good old DA/SA with hammer. What's wrong with that? The ones that's left are expensive like HK and Sig. Only cheaper one is Sig SP2022 which I am looking for.

In a nutshell it’s because too many people didn’t like that long and heavy trigger pull when the gun was in double action mode, and they also didn’t like how the first shot was double action and then the second through the rest of the magazine was single action or how some preferred to cock to hammer back before they shot it so when striker fired pistols came out, they were a lot easier for people to shoot and be more accurate with because you have a shorter, softer and consistent trigger pull from beginning to end which is great but in just in my opinion, that’s all fine and dandy but they made the handgun a lot more unsafe as well and made it to where it’s easier to have an oops moment.

I know a lot of people will disagree with that but that’s fine because that’s how I feel about them and why I won’t carry one.

Both my S&W659 and Walther PPK drop hammer when put on safety. So you put on safety to drop the hammer and then take the safety off so you don’t have to deal with safety when you pull the gun out. This is such a fantastic idea and they dropped it.
True, but you don’t even have to do that really because you have the luxury of being able to ride the hammer with your thumb as you holster the gun.

But in no means am I telling you to not holster it with the safety on then flipping the safety off afterwards.

Since all three of my Beretta PX4’s have been converted to type G’s which means all they have is just a decocker and no safety, I carry my XDE Springfield in the same manner and just forget the safety even exists.

I know Glock is a world safer than 1911 already, I know people don’t agree but I know if you are in a big hurry, you want to pull the trigger and fire, you don't want to take off safety first before firing, or even cock the hammer before firing. I don't think you want to carry 1911 cocked and unlocked. That's the definition of accident waiting to happen.
Although I tend to agree because I don’t like safeties on carry guns for that reason but I wouldn’t go as far to say that a Glock or Glock-type pistol is safer than a typical 1911, though. I know 1911’s seem to be unsafe when you carry them cocked and locked but honestly, that’s how the majority of 1911 owners carry them. I even carry my Sig P220 Elite 10mm the same way when I’m out in the woods and I don’t feel any less unsafe because if you think about it, the way that a 1911 is designed- and my SAO Sig 10mm is the same way, it’s a whole lot easier to flip the safety off with your thumb than it is to cock the hammer back.

I'm thnking of setting up my 1911 for woods carry. I think I will make a holster with a thumb break where the strap is between the slide and the cocked hammer. this will give me an extra safety along with the other three. Four safeties should be enough!:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
One thing I have to admit, 1911A1 just feels RIGHT in the hand. It's the most natural felt gun I can think of. It's like it's supposed to be. It's comfortable to shoot. I don't want the grip to be narrower for shooting. Everything feels good. It's just I won't carry it out conceal. It's just me.

My Gold Cup is so accurate, and I am talking about using the cheapest CCI Blazer with aluminum casing.( I am born cheap!!). The S&W659 and PPK are shooting all over the place. I yet to see how Glock 26 is. But those two don't don't work in target shooting.

Come to think about it, Glock should be good for home defense with a round in the chamber. You don't carry it around, you put in under the bed or in a draw. When you need it, you know you are in trouble already. Glock do have a little trigger take up to load the striker before the SA point, you don't have to take the finger off until you mean to shoot like the SA ones. It's just I won't load the chamber even with the Glock if I carry on me to go out. Carrying out is a totally different story. Unless you are going to dangerous place, face it, 99.9% you come home without firing. I don't want to worry about anything when I go out to have fun. when come down to it, with all the precaution, it's not much more trouble to leave the chamber empty, just rack the slide when you pull the gun out. With empty chamber, you can carry the 1911 safely also.

I'm thnking of setting up my 1911 for woods carry. I think I will make a holster with a thumb break where the strap is between the slide and the cocked hammer. this will give me an extra safety along with the other three. Four safeties should be enough!:D:D:D:D

I had a buddy of mine who’s into leatherwork make me a custom pancake holster for my 10mm Sig that accommodates my TLR-4 Streamlight laser/flashlight combo that turned out pretty nice. I told him that with the light/laser attached to the rail, it’s probably going to be pretty hard to make a retention holster for that setup so I just had him incorporate a thumb strap to hold the pistol in that just so happens to act as a second safety because he made it to where it goes between the rear sight and the cocked hammer.
2246daf9db2c1cb7a5e6f455ca757436.jpg

dcf7e53be32fb5876b5b1d385126e8b3.jpg

8d0be874f93093a29364fd9b60c7f1f5.jpg

Anything smaller/lighter than a Lt wt Commander is going to be a handful of recoil in .45 acp. Increased recoil, Komrads = reduced first shot recovery time. Yes, any 1911 is pretty flat midships...and is really flat for a major caliber compared to double stacks. With hi-cap magazines you get 8 in the mag and one in the pipe, plenty for a civilian, I'd opine.

Smaller/shorter in 1911 format and you tend to get malfunctions due to geometry & spring tension issues...with increased slide racking resistance, and a shorter inter-sight distance hindering precision accuracy.

Colt had it right when they introduced the Commander with an alloy frame, it's a great carry pistol for those who favor a .45...count me in that manly group,o or 9mm if you're so inclinedl. YMMv Rod

Last edited:
High Valley, you might look at an Askins Avenger holster for your 1911. It's high ride, fits beautifully at the 3 or 4 o'clock position and usually comes with a detachable thumb strap...leave it on or unsnap it...but the holster fits so well that no strap is necessary. That rear belt loop slot really pulls the pistol butt in close to your torso, minimizing your 'printing' signature.

I have a Bianchi and built two myself...they're my carry rigs when I'm toting a .45. Rod Here's my Sig 1911 RCS in my self-built black and the the Bianchi with a 9mm BHP aboard, in tan. The snap button on the Bianchi is where the thumb strap attaches.

Last edited:
I know Glock is a world safer than 1911 already, I know people don't agree but I know if you are in a big hurry, you want to pull the trigger and fire, you don't want to take off safety first before firing, or even cock the hammer before firing. I don't think you want to carry 1911 cocked and unlocked. That's the definition of accident waiting to happen.

Hate to disagree with you, again.......

The 1911 is one of the safest designs out there, has been for over 100 years. If you are unsafe with one I would suggest some training.

The 1911 is one of the safest designs out there, has been for over 100 years. If you are unsafe with one I would suggest some training.
I agree. With a thumb and grip safety 1911s are about as safe as it gets for carry. Proper grip and practice make them perfectly acceptable for a reliable defensive weapon.

And this from a guy who normally carries Glocks.

Precisely, well said, Nanuk .... Rod

I am not a 1911 guy beyond fun guns but I agree they are very safe. I think the big mental disconnect with folks is seeing that hammer loud and proud locked back.

With an average striker it’s all hidden from view even though in many cases that striker is held fully cocked, Glock not withstanding.

I agree. With a thumb and grip safety 1911s are about as safe as it gets for carry. Proper grip and practice make them perfectly acceptable for a reliable defensive weapon.

And this from a guy who normally carries Glocks.

Although I do think their design is safe for what the are but I just have to partially disagree for the sole purpose of the thumb safety on a carry gun. I mean, I know you need it if you carry it the way it was intended but I’m talking about having the safety in general.

Now whether somebody has proven that when an intense self-defense situation has come up and they didn’t forget to swipe the safety off then that’s all fine and dandy but for me, I don’t want a safety. That’s why I don’t carry anything that needs one whether it is a properly setup 1911 or the striker-fired non-Pro model Ruger LC9S with a manual safety that I used to carry. That’s why I carry the traditional Da/Sa hammer-fired pistols because when in Da mode, the trigger is safer and because of that, I don’t have a safety to hopefully remember to flip off when things instantly go from good to bad which is why I said my SAO P220 only gets carried in the woods.

I think the big mental disconnect with folks is seeing that hammer loud and proud locked back.

Yep, this right here. I don’t know about on a 1911 or not, it’s been Swahili since I’ve held one and shot one but if it’s anything like the safety on my P220, it’s not hard or difficult to switch it off but it’s certainly hard enough that I wouldn’t worry about it somehow being flipped off by accident while I carry it.

But with a 1911 you have to have numerous failure points.
-thumb safety gets knocked off
-grip safety gets depressed or fails
-Holster fails or is inadequate in some way.
-trigger is accidentally depressed in some way after above failures.

Let’s contrast this with say a Glock.
-jacket pull string gets in holster inadvertently
-person moves/string pulls fairly light, fairly short travel trigger and bang.

Now none of that is to say one or the other is an inherently unsafe platform I am just calling out the disconnect in 1911s are unsafe because they are cocked and locked single actions.

All guns are inherently dangerous, that’s kinda their job. Just know and understand your given platform and its safety considerations. There ARE truly unsafe firearms but in 2021 they are few and far between.

Aguila Blanca said:
No longer available new, but look at/for an alloy version of the Para-Ordnance P12.45 (3-1/2" barrel) or P10.45/Warthog (3" barrel). The "native" capacity for the P12 is 12 rounds, but they sold it as a 10-round model for California and there should be plenty of ten-round magazines available. The P10/Warthog only came as a 10rounder.

If you can find one, Rock Island basically makes a similar model in their BBR 3.10 which is 10+1 with a 3.1 inch barrel. It's of course a double stack in this small of a package but that's the only way you'll get 10 rounds.

Last edited:
Back