.40 s&w why disliked?

i thinking about the guy who wants his first pistol today. He is better served with a 9mm or 40sw than anything else, all factors considered.

Regardless if the 40sw is a solution no one asked for, it is a viable option over 45acp or 10mm for good reason.

Personally, I ran into 40sw for other reasons. For one, I don't care about handgun calibers because their terminal performance is all the same. I ended up getting a 45acp because I anticipated getting a 45acp carbine to go with it. I wanted a 45acp carbine because 45 is subsonic and I wanted the option of SBR/suppressor in the future.

I realized 40sw can do the same thing and was cheaper, and I no longer liked the sa/da taurus 45acp I had so I bought an M&P40 and knocked out two birds with one stone.

.........Then I realized the 40sw carbines are costly and have quirks about them, so I snagged a 9mm ar15 for a very low price. Now I want a 9mm pistol to go with it.

I'm not debating the caliber war. I PERSONALLY like the 45 ACP more than anything else. If you like the 40, more power to ya. I was merely responding to the OP by stating MY reasons for not liking the caliber as much as the others. It will certainly do the job.

I don't dislike the .40 S&W caliber; I have a couple. I don't shoot them a lot, though. Not sure why, but I just don't enjoy shooting that caliber as much as others. I reload so it's not a cost issue. I have larger and smaller calibers that I shoot more, so it's not a recoil issue. I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned carrying a .40, which I do only occasionally. As to recommendations, I have had several .40s and the Sig P229 and Walther PPQ are the best I have used. The 229 can use other barrels (9mm and .357SIG) for versatility, and the PPQ is lighter and has a great trigger for a striker fired gun. I have also carried a Stoeger and a Bersa, which are each reasonably compact and not overly expensive.

After the Sandy Hook tragedy, .40 S&W was the only handgun ammo I could find at Walmart, when they actually had ammo.

I think the .40 S&W will be around for a good long time. It has established itself as mainstream and there are a LOT of pistols chambered for it. 10 mm has had a bit of a resurgence lately, but it is still a lot more expensive than .40 S&W. .40 can be found for about $16 a box ($.32/round) while 10mm is close to double that (for target ammo). 9mm is the cheapest of the 3 calibers at around $11 - $12 a box. I have been finding .45 acp in the $18 range. Cost is a big factor for many of us and the lower price of the 9mm has certainly increased its popularity.

I don't know, I guess the .40 fills a gap between 9mm and .45acp. It is my duty round (full size M&P) and I enjoy shooting it. With that said, I won't buy anything chambered in it for personal use. I get a bit more enjoyment at the range wth the quicker follow up shots my 9mm's offer, as for the .45, well that and a 1911 are icons. I enjoy the .45's pushing recoil vs. a snapping recoil and I love the big holes it puts in targets :D. I certainly don't hate the .40 though. To each their own I guess, I am just thankful that there are different offerings that we get to debate about.

I believe the caliber of gun you use if based on what feels most comfortable to you. Some people bad mouth various caliber son wether it's easy to find the ammo or not. I believe every caliber has its use and serves its purpose well. We sometimes grab different calibers and use them for something that they were not intended for and then we give the caliber a bad rating.

I request ADMINISTRATORS that this poster be BANNED from this forum for saying this.

Lighten up.

The question was clumsily phrased and could have been asked in a less inflammatory manner, but the question itself is relevant. If you intend to use your sidearm to defend your life, you'd BETTER be justified in killing, before the piece ever covers a target. Your mission, of course, is NOT to kill, but to incapacitate (and sometimes, this results in the killing of someone).

Anyway, I won't presume to know the mind of "breakthrough" or "t4terrific", but I SUSPECT that by "barriers", Mr. "Breakthrough" may have meant the simulated barriers used by the FBI (denim, t-shirts, windshields, marine-grade 3/4" plywood, 20 gauge sheet metal, gore-tex, etc.) to determine which round most effectively traverses the wide spectrum of things which might separate a creep from a cop during a gunfight.

I also suspect that "t4terrific" might have meant to ask a question along the lines of: "What sort of people might you expect to find behind these barriers, who have acted in a manner that justifies your use of lethal force?"

And I suspect the answer is: "Criminals, who, like cockroaches, seem able to flourish in a huge spectrum of adverse environments or circumstances, always to the detriment of the innocent, and will defy any law devised by man to do so".

The creeps don't play by the rules. They don't have concern for who could be struck by their rounds, if they (Please God) miss whomever they're shooting at. They don't harm or kill others because their safety or life was threatened by someone or thing. They do it for material gain, because it's easier than doing it legally, or they do it because they SUSPECT that, in the future the person they kill might come back for revenge.

This is my last post here, and all I say is, that the mighty .357 magnum withstood the test of time. .40 comes close to it. So does the .41 magnum.
Those of you who has no use for them have the choice to stay away from it.

I don't want a 40 or a 9MM. I would prefer a .45 ACP or a .38 special over either. I'm not into hicap mags. If I can't do it with four or five shots it likely won't matter how many more I have. My personal preference is .45 ACP but I have been known to carry a 44-40 SA.

I like the .40 just fine. I seem to shoot it just about as well as I do pretty much any other round. My only .40 is a Glock 22 so perhaps the full size frame has something to do with it.

Were all different, but all the same

Hawg said:
I don't want a 40 or a 9MM. I would prefer a .45 ACP or a .38 special over either. I'm not into hicap mags. If I can't do it with four or five shots it likely won't matter how many more I have.

Everbody's different. My way of thinking, with owning a S&W .40, is not being able to shot a target multiple times, but rather, having the ability to shoot at multiple targets with one magazine.

But I don't know if that's what you meant Hawg:confused:

Many people say "When do you ever think your going to have mobs of people that will turn into targets"?

My answer "I don't know, but I like to know that I have as many rounds that I can conceal carry in my one pistol".

But, we all carry what we like cause it makes sense to us. Whether that be a single or two shot derringer, .22 cal, .380, 9mm, .40, .45, and on and on the list goes.......:rolleyes:

I think the #s on the .40 are a decent compromise between 9 & 45.

It is the recoil impulse that repulses me.

I can now hit what i want/need with a .40, but i even prefer the 357 and 44mag recoil impulse to it.

IMHO, it's better to have 4 guns in different calibers (9, 40, 10mm, and .45) than 4 guns in just one caliber. Good luck trying to find ammo to shoot in the next ammo drought. When no one could find 9mm to shoot, there was plenty of .40 for sale. I have a nice little gun that shoots .40 that I can carry. Why play favorites to a particular caliber.

People have been defending themselves with much, much weaker cartridges than 9mm for many years. Would you want to be shot by a .32 rimfire extra short? Ballistics are something like 85 gr. bullet at 705 fps. Compare this to 9mm 135 gr. at 1110 fps...and not just 5, but 15-20 rounds!

9, 40, 10 and 45 are all good cartridges - some people like higher capacity, and some don't see any need for it. Some want a little more power and don't mind a snappier shot, and others like a little less recoil. As between these 4 rounds (and possibly a few others) it really is personal preference. There simply is no saying which of these is "the best".

Last edited:
If you think you don't like 40 S&W, try shooting it out of one of these! :)

RIA40b_zpsau6uld3w.jpg

My way of thinking, with owning a S&W .40, is not being able to shot a target multiple times, but rather, having the ability to shoot at multiple targets with one magazine.

But I don't know if that's what you meant Hawg

I meant multiple targets. If there's more than 4 or 5 more bullets probably won't make any difference to the outcome.

How does that shoot? .40 1911s are not common.

I have a Colt 1911, 5 inch, Series 90, .40 S&W.

Does not kick as much as my 5 inch Kimber .45 ACP. Quite accurate.

I got it for an IDPA gun, cost $700, but then found out they made it only for 2 years and... DANG IT... they go for $1400! So it sleeps in the safe now.

Deaf

Back