.40 s&w why disliked?

I only have one .40; a Beretta Centurion. I don't recall how it came to me but I was not on the lookout for it. I also have the same Beretta in 9mm. I actually like the .40 better. It seems more accurate and I do not notice any difference in recoil or other handling characteristics. I am not planning to add to my .40 collection. I agree with many posters, it's just pricier than a 9mm and not as much "fun" as a 45 acp.

"Snappiness" is subjective. I have an M&P40 and different brands of ammo have different levels of recoil. Even then, most of it is a result of your recoil spring strength and barrel length/slide weight.

I had a 5.25bbl taurus 45acp that had a really strong recoil spring. The pistol still flipped hard compared to my M&P. WWB 45acp JHP was certainly the most "snappy" ammo I've fired in a pistol, with what amounted to be potentially a 22# recoil spring at the time.

"oh my god, it's too snappy! I'm scared!"

Anybody complaining about medium caliber pistol recoil that doesn't have a medical condition should leave this forum and go here instead.

if the .40 isn't a good step up from the 9mm what would a round need to have to fill that niche? Is there a niche the first place?

Does the .38 super bear consideration?

I'd say the 40sw is better than the 9mm because of bigger and heavier bullet. 9mm +P+ has pretty much the same energy as the 38super and both use the same bullet.

I like mine

My wife shoots a .40 just fine. Sig P239 in .40 is a great CCW. I like .45, 9mm
22 etc etc etc. They all are fun to shoot. I don't carry for a living. I'm not an engineer or ballistic expert trying to prove a point. My .40 works just fine, shoots great and it is very accurate. So are other calibers. Some people don't like the .41 mag. Same applies. Some don't like the .45, same applies. There is nothing wrong with the .40 as a caliber. It is just not perfect in the eyes of some, but what is?

Yeah, I'd like to get a 10mm just for the heck of it as it's a very powerful round but the loads I got for my 40sw are close to 10mm ballistics.

I saw a chart somewhere on the net on the 10mm power levels, green, yellow and red. Green being the lightest and red the fullhouse. My 40sw loads are in the yellow.

definitely. :)

The 155 is at 1300 fps. I also have Underwood 9mm 124+P for my HK USP which shows a respectable 413 fpe at, IIRC, 1225 fps.

ETA: They're both XTPs. :p

Back