.40 s&w why disliked?

I have several 9mm's and several 40's. They seem to get along pretty well!:)
One 40 I would love to add would be a small revolver, maybe a Charter Arms?

I don't really dislike the 40, just I find it more touchy to reload for. It is less forgiving then my 10mm's so I tend to shot it less. I have a really nice Springfield P9 Ultra IPSC that is a great shooter and my only 40 left. I will keep loading the 40 just for it.

My main issue with the 40 is that you can do everything a 40 can do ballistically easier with a 10mm and with a higher level of safety. So why toss a bullet out with a 40 when I can do it with a 10mm?

Since I don't carry either anymore, all other factors like form factor of guns goes out the window for me. It is just internal ballistics and safety of reloads.

an Underwood 35 grainer out of a 40 is a mean slug. 675 fpe at 1500 fps. YIKES! :D

I carry UW 155 in mine, 582 fpe at 1300 fps.

1 poster said 10mm is easily available? where?
name the pistols build ground up just for .40 caliber please
edit - just read glock 22 is what is carried by majority of police departments true or not?

40 fan here. I've had several guns over the years that were identical other than caliber. Mostly 9mm /.40 I have always been able to shoot the .40s more accurately and I stuck with them. I also reload so cost difference is negligible, about $20 or so per 1k.
Is that a typo? I would think the bullets alone would cost in excess of $60/1000, and the cheapest primers I've found are $19/1k..

Can you list your components, where you buy them, and in what quantities, please?

If you use lead bullets by the 5000 rounds, primers by the 5K case, and powder by the 8 lb cannister you can load the .40 on the cheap.

My IDPA State match gun is a Glock 31 converted to .40 S&W (using a conventionally rifled stainless barrel) and it's just slightly more expensive to shoot than the 9mm.

Deaf

Yes easy to convert a .357 Sig Glock to a .40 and back.

attachment.php

My Glock 35, in .40, I swapped the .40 barrel for a Storm Lake .357 Sig barrel. It's on the left in the photo.

What is more my Glock 31, not shown, easily takes the Glock 35 .40 barrel (but it does stick out a bit.)

Deaf

Is that a typo? I would think the bullets alone would cost in excess of $60/1000, and the cheapest primers I've found are $19/1k..

Can you list your components, where you buy them, and in what quantities, please?

I was referring to the cost difference between 9 and 40 when reloading and buying in bulk.

I was referring to the cost difference between 9 and 40 when reloading and buying in bulk.

Which is the wise way of doing it! I buy my slugs by the 3000 to 5000 round lots, and primers by the 5000 lot, and 8lb Cannisters of UNIQUE (my favorite for .38spl, 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, .45 ACP and others.)

Deaf

40 is too high-pressure for my liking and it doesn't behave itself when under my care. if it would do what I told it to then i think it'd be pretty cool.

saleen322 said:
It is not a matter of dislike, the 40 is a solution in search of a problem. It is smaller than a 45 and does not have the capacity of a 9mm in the same size nor the power of the 10mm. It is still common and available in most all common pistols so if someone likes it, they can get one. There are so many 40s out there now, I don't see it going away and it will continue to be offered in new pistols if someone wants one.

The problem is finding a middle ground between 9mm and 45acp.

Almost everything about 40s&w is in between the 2 calibers (cost, capacity, etc). I think 40sw fills its role nicely.

Back