.40 s&w why disliked?

You really notice a difference between 9mm and .40 when you shoot identical guns in both calibers.

I have two full size CZ-75Bs and two S&W SDs (SD9VE/SD40VE).

The .40 guns are noticeably snappier and have more push.

When you shoot the guns and are considering owning a gun for self defense, you really do need to consider "Which gun can I shoot more accurately?"

I wouldn't say I dislike the .40 cal S&W round, but I like it a lot less than 9 mm PB, .45 cal ACP, or 38 SP.

As multiple others have stated, the recoil of the .40 round is "snappy". The .45 ACP is more like a big push that is easier on the hand. I have shot .40 and .45 from multiple different pistols of different sizes and this has always been the case. What is more, the high case pressures are harder on the pistol in the long term.

I think the 9 mm is the logical choice for compact pistols due to the greater magazine capacity and the fact that shooting .40 cal out of a smaller frame, lighter weight pistol can be a bit punishing. If the .40 has any ballistic advantage over the 9 mm with modern JHP ammo I think it is pretty minimal.

For larger framed pistols with full-length grips where ammo capacity is not as limited, I prefer .45 ACP if I feel the need for something heavier than the 9 mm and I seen to shoot it consistently better.

As for .40 cal autoloader recommendations, if you are looking for a striker-fired, polymer-frame pistol I have shot both the HK VP40 and the SIG P320 and both are excellent shooters.

Last edited:
I don't have any .40's, but not because I dislike them. Up 'till now I've just preferred 9mm & .45's. When I get tired of not having a .40, maybe I'll get one.

This post is as dead as democracy in the middle east but I'm gonna throw my .02 anyways. First big bore I ever shot was a .40. My dad was a LEO when the .40 was becoming big for police carry so that was the only big bore I had access to. I really enjoyed it from squeeze one. The recoil was mild and as mentioned above it hits with authority. As I got older the first pistol I purchased was a second hand Glock 23 that was on consignment from a county deputy. I still have her although she spends a lot of safe time with other forgotten gems. I carry it only occasionally when I want the extra ammo capacity over my 1911s but its mainly just the ergonomics of my 1911 framed pieces that get in my holsters more frequently.

I love the caliber. If it was cheaper I would shoot it more than I do.

To each their own I reckon.

Lots of comments on 9x19, 40S&W and 45ACP. This is an interesting discussion.
While I only have one handgun in forty something. I wonder why no one brought 357SIG into the discussion. Personally for auto pistols I'm sticking to 9x19. That round seems to me to be the best balance of capacity versus power. Easy to shoot in small pistols, and in full sized pistols offers very little recoil.

someone said don't get .40 s&w pistols made in polymer? what is/are reason/s for this? what about 10mm? what kind of recoil it has?

The Q here is,
.40 s&w why disliked?

When somebody ask me about something else, maybe I'll have an A for that too. In the meantime.....

Q----Whats better than a .40?
A----2 of them.

Or........maybe 3-or 4.....or......hmmmmmm

Technically, all these folks downgrading from .40 to 9mm,
should really be looking at .32acp/7.65 Browning chamberings,
because if you wanna talk low recoil and shot placement, they've got it.
Its the reason most PD's in Europe used them for almost a century
before 9mm became the "cause celibre"in the 80's with the "Wondernines".

Unfortunately, finding a decent one in that caliber these days is difficult...
you mostly have to go to used pistols from pre-1980, or a Keltec P32...
or a James Bond Walther...

What is really needed is a nice hi-cap compact 7.65mm,
15-20 rounds per mag would still be very skinny & concealable...
yet still be able to handle multiple targets...

should really be looking at .32acp/7.65 Browning chamberings,

It makes sense, but still you have more leeway to go bigger with more sectional density and energy. The move away from 32acp in Europe was mostly because of cars being used in crimes and the need to penetrate them.

If you could stretch the 32acp and put it into a 45acp frame pistol, now we're getting somewhere.

Figure a 100gr bullet at a velocity minimum of 1,100fps, generating 365joules of energy with a sectional density of 0.146, and a 25rd magazine.

I'll take one please. :D

recommend guns in this caliber please

IF you can find a lightly used S&W 4046, I say snag it!
I have 3 .40's that I've shot a lot because I LOVE .40.
My 4046 is, by far, the best for balance, accuracy, shootability and craftsmanship. It's heavy for EDC, so I don't use it for that... But for "bedside" or car-gun or range, it's super for me.

Last edited:
About 10 yrs ago...I got sucked into the hype on the .40 S&W and jumped in with both feet...

I have a pair of Sig 226's ( one in 9mm, one in .40 S&W ) ....decent guns, but the .40 S&W is a lot snappier recoil and a little more difficult to shoot. My followup shots are just a hair slower with the .40 S&W...

I also have a pair of the small Sig 239's ( one in .40 S&W and one in 9mm ) ...decent guns, but in .40 S&W it takes a lot more concentration to shoot that gun well.../ with some speed and remain tactically accurate.

I had a Wilson combat Protector model, 5", steel gun ...in .40 S&W.../ and I have one in 9mm and .45 acp as well....and of the three guns, the .40 S&W is more difficult to shoot tactically. As a result, I sold the .40 S&W because I wasn't shooting it much...
---------------
As I've gotten older..and some arthritis in my hands too ...I've come to realize a gun in 9mm is plenty -especially with all of the new high quality Defense ammo out there these days..../ its not that I can't shoot the .40 S&W guns I have, I just don't...and when I carry 99% of the time its a 1911 in either a 9mm or .45 acp anyway...

the .40 S&W for me - is an in between caliber...a little snappier to shoot ...and it really doesn't do anything the 9mm or the .45 acp can't do a little better in my view. I keep the guns I have in .40 S&W ...and I reload the caliber...so cost isn't a big deal...but I still only shoot 20 boxes a year in that caliber...( I also have one of the big Sig X-Fives, SAO, all stainless..in .40 S&W ...and when I shoot .40 S&W, it gets 90% of the usage...and its sure not a gun I'd every try and carry at 55 oz..)...its just a caliber that gets left out for me.

A 10mm to me....would be even worse...way more recoil for any given gun in .40 S&W...and I don't see any need at all for a 10mm...

a gun in 9mm is plenty -especially with all of the new high quality Defense ammo out there these days
-------------
Can you name this high quality ammo. I keep reading 9mm can match exceed .40 but no one tells what exact brand name high quality ammo is that?

Can 9mm or 45 acp penetrate barriers like .40 s&w can do?

.40 is awesome.

The fact is that people usually just don't shoot it as well as 9mm.

It's not the rounds fault, it's just that recoil affects people.

a gun in 9mm is plenty -especially with all of the new high quality Defense ammo out there these days

-------------

Can you name this high quality ammo. I keep reading 9mm can match exceed .40 but no one tells what exact brand name high quality ammo is that?

Can 9mm or 45 acp penetrate barriers like .40 s&w can do?

What are these barriers you speak of? What types of barriers do you intend on trying to kill people after shooting through?

Answering that question will make your question easily answerable.

Cause people are crybabies.

It's a good round and if it cost a bit more to shoot, big deal.

Deaf

Then why not use 10mm?

Why settle for .40, which is practically no better than 9mm or .45, when there is 10mm, which is better than all 3?

The answer is that most people are recoil sensitive.

That's why agencies have decided that .40 may be good for some, but 9mm or .45 is better for most.

I have 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP and I like all 3 cartridges. I carry 9mm primarily due to the reduced recoil out of my subcompact Kahr PM9. Magazine capacity is also a consideration with think, single stack subcompacts. I cannot carry a larger gun due to what I normally wear so its 9mm for carry. My night stand gun is a Sig P229 in .40 S&W. I still get 12 rounds and the heavier gun handles the recoil much better.

As a modern cartridge, the makers of the .40 S&W could dictate SAAMI pressures that modern firearms can handle. Due to liability reasons, commercial ammo manufacturers will not load the older cartridges (9mm and .45 ACP) to where the "could be" because someone could load it in an older gun and blow the gun up. One other major advantage of the .40 S&W over the 10mm is the shorter bullet, allowing for a smaller grip.

The .40 S&W is a great round and was adopted widely by police around the country. People are always going to find a reason to hate though.

Last edited:
Back