.380 Opinions?

Forget the 380 (buy a P238 if you just can't) and get a P938...Not much bigger than the P238 and is still very easy to shoot. Plus you get 9mm power in a 380 sized gun.

LCP II does lock back on an empty mag, but even with the standard LCP, its a training issue. Its also a matter of purpose.

Am I in the minority on not caring about this?

Locking back helps to confirm an empty magazine and can facilitate faster turn-around on a mag change. That's nice but it doesn't strike me as crucial for a tiny CCW. I look to this class of firearm when carry space is at a super premium. At that kind of premium, chances are that I'm not carrying a spare magazine anyway. In fact, having fewer features or controls can have value in that kind of gun.

I measured it using my Lyman Digital Trigger gauge.
Better send that one back for repairs!

Nope, not even close to a necessary feature.

It is not a true Double Action pistol and has no second strike capability
If I am concerned about a round not going bang the first time, I'm going to buy better ammo!

It has been the most ammo sensitive of all the pocket pistols I own
You must have gotten one of the very few bad ones. Mine runs fine on everything I've put through it.

It is the least accurate of the pocket pistols I own
Accuracy is subjective, and relative to the shooter. Mine is well capable of repeated center mass, and even head shots @10 yards.

The take down field strip procedure is the most difficult of the pocket pistols I own
So difficult to pop out a pin, and pull the slide off.:eek:

It has by far the lowest (and in my opinion too low) trigger pull of any of my pocket pistols
Probably the most curious comment you made. Next to the take down one. Did you buy it new, or did you get a used one that somebody "improved" on their kitchen table?

Probably the most curious comment you made. Next to the take down one. Did you buy it new, or did you get a used one that somebody "improved" on their kitchen table?

Bought new and it is the latest iteration of the LCP.

I understand many folk like the LCP and that's fine; but it does not change or invalidate any of the facts I pointed out.

I have absolutely no issue with people liking an LCP or Lite Beer or green peas.

but it does not change or invalidate any of the facts I pointed out.

Your conclusions are different than mine. All of your premises must be flawed either because of your incompetence, laziness, or because you have an abnormally bad sample. We will not discuss that your sample size of 1 (or a couple) is as equally valid as my sample size of 1 (or a couple) because my particular samples support my conclusions.

The defense (and attack) of firearm other than the one "we" have decided to is best suited to ourselves reached ridiculous heights and that does not even get into the discussion of calibers. All people who bought a Glock of any type must simply be lemmings incapable of independent thought - just ask "anyone" who owns anything else

Locking back helps to confirm an empty magazine and can facilitate faster turn-around on a mag change. That's nice but it doesn't strike me as crucial for a tiny CCW. I look to this class of firearm when carry space is at a super premium. At that kind of premium, chances are that I'm not carrying a spare magazine anyway. In fact, having fewer features or controls can have value in that kind of gun.
Nope..and gotta remember, my LCP was about $175, new...no such thing as a free lunch BUT..glad I got rid of it..MUCH happier with G42 with 'ClipDraw' and trigger shield..into the pocket it goes often..

Your conclusions are different than mine. All of your premises must be flawed either because of your incompetence, laziness, or because you have an abnormally bad sample. We will not discuss that your sample size of 1 (or a couple) is as equally valid as my sample size of 1 (or a couple) because my particular samples support my conclusions.

The defense (and attack) of firearm other than the one "we" have decided to is best suited to ourselves reached ridiculous heights and that does not even get into the discussion of calibers. All people who bought a Glock of any type must simply be lemmings incapable of independent thought - just ask "anyone" who owns anything else

However I did not attack any firearm or anyone's choice of a firearm. I covered a variety of possible choices and ranked them based on my experience including the reasoning behind my decisions.

Attempts to misrepresent what I say do not change the actual content of what I post.

I hope that the aim of my firearm is more effective than that of my (very limited) wit.

Attempts to misrepresent what I say do not change the actual content of what I post.

You posted premises. They have been challenged as being defective testing equipment (trigger pull), a lack of quality in other components (second strike capability), incompetence (accuracy and trigger modification despite lack of evidence of such), and laziness (quirks of tear down procedure).

The premises are up for debate. We could reasonably debate the value of second strike capability and note that it is actually fairly common considering most striker fired guns lack it. We could debate the value of locking open after the last round considering how often these guns are carried sans spare magazine. We don't debate those things though. We create arguments that attack the user instead.

Last edited:
Bought new and it is the latest iteration of the LCP.
By "latest iteration" do you mean LCP II?
That could explain the light trigger.

but it does not change or invalidate any of the facts I pointed out.
If it is not an LCP II your "facts" are mostly invalidated by the multitude of people who own an LCP who like them or not are scratching their heads. Especially the trigger pull, which on the LCP (not LCP II) is in no way too light. Or the take down which is not complicated at all.

By "latest iteration" do you mean LCP II?
That could explain the light trigger.

If it is not an LCP II your "facts" are mostly invalidated by the multitude of people who own an LCP who like them or not are scratching their heads. Especially the trigger pull, which on the LCP (not LCP II) is in no way too light. Or the take down which is not complicated at all.

Of course I mean the LCP, not the LCPII. I meant as I said the latest iteration of the LCP.

No one's opinion can invalidate facts like what I measured the trigger pull or the fact that it does not have a second strike capability or the fact that it does not lock back onj an empty magazine.

People can hold an opinion that those are things they wish to live with or do not see those as an issue, but that does not change the facts.

The facts do not get invalidated, they remain facts.

And I have no issue with what other folk like or prefer.

In fact I think it's great that there is the variety available for folks to choose from.

But the topic was on .380 opinions and my opinion is that I really like 380 as a carry option and rank my 380 caliber pistols as outlined above. Sorry if you are bothered by he fact that I find the LCP simply not at all among those that enjoy the most.

Maybe you even drink Lite Beer.

I find the LCP custom with laser attached to be a great replacement for the category of "derringer" size guns but with a lot more bullets. Although, being a semi-auto, it is not any good for shooting from within a pocket.

... being a semi-auto, it is not any good for shooting from within a pocket.

That's not necessarily true. The first shot should be okay. After that, things could get jammed up. Hopefully, you won't have to shoot from inside a pocket. I know, defensive encounters can be messy and unpredictable. At least in my case, "pocket carry" usually means a pants pocket. It also tends to mean a pocket holster. It would be a real feat to get a shot off through the pocket that way... =/

What pocket do you normally use for carry? Do you use a pocket holster?

No one's opinion can invalidate facts like what I measured the trigger pull
Obviously with a flawed guage. There is no way a LCP, or LCP Custom has that light of a trigger pull.

There are no manual safeties and the trigger is DAO with a short 0.5 inches of travel and a substantial 6-pound trigger pull.
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/12/look-custom-galloway-ruger-lcp-380/

First, there are no manual safeties to remember, and the DAO trigger has a short 0.5-inch length of travel countered by a solid 6.5-pound average trigger pull.
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/10/gun-review-rugers-new-lcp-custom/

Convert pound to kilogram

6.5lbs = 2.9483504050000002kg
https://www.convertunits.com/from/lbs/to/kg

Lyman’s revolutionary Digital Trigger Pull Gauge is designed to be the fastest and most accurate trigger pull gauge available. The state-of-the-art strain gauge technology allows for accuracy of 1/10 ounce/2 grams. The gauge will read to a maximum 12lb/5.4kg and features a large, easy-to-read LCD display.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/electronic-digital-trigger-pull-gauge

Now, set your little digital toy to lb instead of kg, and tell us how "too light" that 6 to 6 1/2 pound trigger is!

https://www.convertunits.com/from/lbs/to/kg

https://www.lymanproducts.com/electronic-digital-trigger-pull-gauge

Now, set your little digital toy to lb instead of kg, and tell us how "too light" that 6 to 6 1/2 pound trigger is!
It's still an average of three pounds three ounces.

AbE:

The issue is that even if the trigger pull fell into a reasonable range the LCP still suffers from all the other issues I described. It's simply not going to move into the same class as my other 380s.

Lots of folk like them. Great. Ruger makes money selling them. Great. But it's simply still at the bottom of my list of choices.

Please understand, I'm not knocking the LCP or any other gun someone likes. In fact today I was carrying a pistol that suffers from many of the same issues as seen in the LCP; no lock back on an empty magazine and no second strike capability and an unusual field strip procedure with at least one step that is critical in reassembly. But it does have the excuse that it's 95 years old and not a really modern design. It is striker fired though (and I even have and have had other striker fired pistols) and just a 7.65 cartridge. Bigger than the LCP but still pocket size.

The LCP may well be the perfect pistol for someone else and if so then wonderful. But I find it sadly lacking.

Last edited:
Wow, Common Core math. The average of 6.0 and 6.5= 3lb 3oz:eek:
Not really, rather the reality of the LCP I happen to own. Once again, here is the table I provided before.

medium800.jpg

All of the measurements were ten iterations using a Lyman Digital Gauge and rounded to the nearest whole ounce. The math itself was done by the gauge.

If your Sig P230 only measures 4 pound in DA, I would agree that maybe there is something wrong with your scale. Mine is closer to the 9 pound range.

If your Sig P230 only measures 4 pound in DA, I would agree that maybe there is something wrong with your scale. Mine is closer to the 9 pound range.
Yet it seems to work for other handguns. All of the measurements were taken in the same way over about two days. Each case was ten iterations. Then the tool itself did the averaging.

Have you tried the trigger pull on other LCPs with your little toy? There is obviously something amiss with either your LCP, or electronic gadget.

Back