.380 Opinions?

I chose the Beretta Pico as my pocket carry because it has every feature I desire in a pocket gun; DAO trigger, ultra thin profile, snag free and small overall. It also has the modular design that allows complete takedown in seconds, the ability to have three different frames with integrated light or laser or plain-Jane. The Pico has excellent sights. Mine has been completely reliable with a wide variety of ammo. Choose either the flat base mag or an extended mag base. The price is right and the quality is high. Personally I use the laser equipped model and like it very much.

Last edited:
since everyone is throwing in the kitchen sink sized guns (compared to the OP's likely preference of the LCP sized guns) I say the G42. and for the folks that say that ABC is only a little bigger than the LCP.... the 43 is only a little bigger than the 42, and the 43x is only a little bigger than the 43, then the 39 is only a little bigger..... and so on. ;)

This is not intended to initiate a cartridge debate. It's merely an observation. With specifically designed compact 9MM's that are not much larger than compact .380's, it might be wise to determine whether a Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM would be a suitable substitute for a pocket .380. With the right clothes, I could pocket carry an EMP 3 9MM.
Anything I own, I'm keen to shoot it..a lot..The LCP was no FTS(FunToShoot), so away it went. My G42 is GREAT to shoot..easy to EDC..I just bought a G43..that little bit of added weight and size DOES make the G42 a little easier to carry..for me. The G43 is not nearly as much FTS as the G42..the 'issue' with a lot of small 9mm..I had a Ruger LC-9s..small, smooth, easy to carry but no fun to shoot..

My wife is a Glock fan. I'm not. The Sig 238 is my preferred pocket pistol, out of the three different .380s I own. I don't care to pocket carry any 9mms, as they go IWB, with the Sig 365 or Shield 45ACP being my preference.

I bought a used Taurus TCP .380 in stainless at a local pawn/gun establishment a couple of years ago and carry it in a Mika pocket holster which I highly recommend for pocket carry, especially Jframes, the holster stays put and the firearms slides out easily. It has been a pleasant surprise and has replaced my pocket carry piece of over 15 years a Kel-Tec P32 which has been flawless.

I've had a Kel-tec P3AT, an "original" LCP, an LCPII, and a Pico. IMHO the ones larger than these aren't actual pocket pistols.

I prefer the LCPII due to the good sights and superior trigger.

The Pico has the best sights, not a great trigger, and the grip is too short due to the trigger guard being too large. However, it does seem to be a sturdier pistol than the others.

The P3AT and "original" LCP were okay.

I carry the LCPII often. It's not a lot of fun to shoot, but it doesn't hurt my hand if I'm careful. I can carry it in any pants pocket, or the breast pocket of something like a large flannel shirt.

I just have a hard time grasping this whole "LCP isn't fun to shoot" thing. Is it an age thing where younger shooters expect everything to be this cushy, soft thing? Is it an experience thing where those that think the LCP recoil too snappy haven't shot a lot of things that really kick? Don't know, but what I do know is that I enjoy shooting my LCP. Along with my LCR, CM9, XD40 Subcompact, and Glock G20. All at one time or another I have heard described as having snappy or heavy recoil.
The LCP, a gun that is carried a lot, and shot little. Not mine, more like carried always, and shot often.

I have a Ruger LCPII in a front pocket kydex holster. Is it fun to shoot? NO! I can shoot it accurately, it conceals well, and I haven't had any reliability issues.

If fact, this last weekend I cleared out my carry ammo (I do this annually, I don't know why) and it was a uniquely UNPLEASANT experience. But... I got all rounds in the torso, pulled from concealment. And that's the point.

If I want to have fun shooting I'll shoot a full size 9 or 45, thanks.

When you are talking LCP, of which I have, it is a deep carry pistol. It’s not a target pistol, it’s not a combat pistol, but its

the pistol you slip in a coat pocket, cargo pocket and you don’t know it’s there.Does it it’s have faults? Of course.

But it does what is designed to do, provide you with a true lightweight, concealed carry that is there when you need it. The other weapons mentioned are fine pistols, but for my purposes, I’ll keep my LCP

Since there’s no “like” button I’ll +1 you.

My LCP has been with me since 2010 the one thing I’ll add to your concise comments is that with my LCP in pocket I’ve found that adding another gun (Shield9) still leaves me at an overall comfortable carry weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The .380 is a good round. It noticeably softer recoiling in a firearm of the same size, weight, and function than a 9MM but the direct blow-back PPK copies have FAR more perceived recoil than a gun of their size and weight should.

For pocket carry, when we are getting to fairly small and light guns, the .380 is a good choice. It offers less recoil than a 9MM (caveats of similar size, weight, operation apply) and as these guns already recoil plenty they are a fine choice. Personally I would look towards the Keltec P32

Yep - the .32 caliper version. Less recoil as pocketable a pistol as you are likely to find without getting into the .25 and .22 variants.

I've got to say, I'm so darned glad that I never heard that before I bought my bodyguard. I might not have made that decision.

My hands are a bit recoil sensitive, but I still don't find the pocket pistol to be unpleasant to shoot.

The only unpleasant thing about this gun is having the brass bouncing off of my nose and falling down the front of my shirt.

I chose the Beretta Pico as my pocket carry because it has every feature I desire in a pocket gun; DAO trigger, ultra thin profile, snag free and small overall. It also has the modular design that allows complete takedown in seconds, the ability to have three different frames with integrated light or laser or plain-Jane. The Pico has excellent sights. Mine has been completely reliable with a wide variety of ammo. Choose either the flat base mag or an extended mag base. The price is right and the quality is high. Personally I use the laser equipped model and like it very much.

Have had 4 Lcps, still own one, but the Pico is by far cut above. I have two of them. Love the Kahr 380. These guns will keep on trucking when the LCP has long hit the dust. Thousands of rounds through one of mine. Nice sights, mild shooter and built tough.

https://imgur.com/gallery/cbuqy5C

0MNAT5W.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for the Pico. Very high quality although mine took about 200 rounds to begin functioning smoothly (had several misfeeds before then).

The magazine release takes some getting used to on a Pico.

Also, anyone who reads internet caliber discussions knows that .380s bounce off bad guy's bodies like rubber pellets, while .45 puts them through four walls and a coffin.

I just have a hard time grasping this whole "LCP isn't fun to shoot" thing. Is it an age thing where younger shooters expect everything to be this cushy, soft thing? Is it an experience thing where those that think the LCP recoil too snappy haven't shot a lot of things that really kick? Don't know, but what I do know is that I enjoy shooting my LCP. Along with my LCR, CM9, XD40 Subcompact, and Glock G20. All at one time or another I have heard described as having snappy or heavy recoil.
The LCP, a gun that is carried a lot, and shot little. Not mine, more like carried always, and shot often.

Fun really never entered the debate when I relegated the LCP to the absolute bottom of the pile when it comes to pocket pistols.

• It is not a true Double Action pistol and has no second strike capability
  • The slide does not lock back on an empty magazine
  • It has been the most ammo sensitive of all the pocket pistols I own
  • It is the least accurate of the pocket pistols I own
  • The take down field strip procedure is the most difficult of the pocket pistols I own
  • It has by far the lowest (and in my opinion too low) trigger pull of any of my pocket pistols

standard.jpg

Wait, you're saying the LCP has a 3lb trigger pull? I just paid $300 for a trigger job to get my competition pistol down to 3lbs!

The LCP II doesn't even have a 3 lb trigger pull, let alone the original LCP. I'm not sure where you found that info.

LCP II is a trigger pull of 5.5lbs (if yours is 3lbs, you, your scale, or your trigger is messed up :) Send it back to Ruger)
LCP I is a trigger pull of 6.5lbs

LCP II does lock back on an empty mag, but even with the standard LCP, its a training issue. Its also a matter of purpose.

Back