357 snub

Although I've got two of the 2.5" that I want, a decent (classic) Model 66 still eludes me.

pairof357s.jpg

No pictures, but I brought home a new-in-box 66-2 snub last night.
Good backup to my minty 66-4 snub.
Denis

A 19 or 66 would sure be a class act, i have a beautiful 2 1/2" nickel 19 that's a ringer, it shoots all out of proportion to it's barrel length. But just to play devils advocate Ruger's 2 3/4" "six" series of revolvers would be an excellent choice too and 20 years from now I'm sure my grandkids will still be having just as much fun with my Speed Six as they do the 19.

Ruger Redhawk snubby.

Worth it? Maybe. If you want a .357 mag snubby that will take anything you throw at it, sure. I've shot one, and it was fun to shoot. But then again, we have the old FIREBALL out the front thing goin on with hotter loads. You can burn the hair off of whoever you are shooting at.

What I do like especially, is that you can use full moon clips with these. Super fast reloads.

RZqs9AK.jpg

Last edited:
If I was dead set on 2.5” I’d go with the SW 686. Extra little underlug does help with recoil. My favorite choice in a snub is a 3” SW 66. The extra .5” makes a huge difference. To me it balances just perfect. My most fun gun to shoot. It goes to the range every trip. They are pricey when you find one but INHO well worth it. I also have a 3” 686+ and there is no comparison in smoothness.

I've already got the one I'd pick, a S&W Model 386 Night Guard. Great gun, nice balance between light weight and control ability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Out of all my .357's I'm now down to only two.
Ruger Secuity Six in 4" and my most favorite of all time, the LCR in .357.
5 rounds of 643 foot pounds in a 19 ounce revolver you can carry in your pocket.
What's not to love about that?
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC04619.JPG
    DSC04619.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
snubby

My son in law swears by his S&W Performance Center® Pro Series® Model 640, 357mag.

I think it's loud as heck and kicks accordingly.

I'd prefer a 3" barrel as well; otherwise a 19, 66, or 686 will easily fit the bill. My RB 2.5" 19-3 is a LOT more enjoyable to shoot than my J frame.

Go directly to S&W PRE-lock with 3" barrel, to include the following models:

Blued models 13, 19, or Stainless models 65, 66 if you are NOT going to be shooting it a lot (K-frame)

Blued models 581, 586, or Stainless models 681, 686 if you ARE going to be shooting it a lot. (L-frame)

If for carry/personal defense use, go fixed sights for no snag:
Model 13 or 65 if you are NOT going to be shooting it a lot. (K-frame)
Model 581 or 681 if you ARE going to be shooting it a lot. (L-frame)

If you MUST have adjustable sights for careful target work:
Model 19 or 66 if you are NOT going to be shooting it a lot. (K-frame)
Model 586 or 686 if you ARE going to be shooting it a lot. (L-frame)

You will have the best luck finding pre-lock model 65's and 13's with 3" barrels. On the other models, 3" barrels are relatively rare; 2.5" models are much more common. Keep in mind that the ejector on the 2.5" models is a bit shorter than ideal for quick, clean ejection.

There are fine, low-mileage examples of these models to be found with a little hunting (start with Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc.) These models will ALWAYS demand good money and whatever you pay for a used one today, you're likely to get that (or more) in years to come.

Here's a favorite of mine:
SW_581_LF3243.jpg

That said, a stock pre-lock 65, with a 3" barrel, is about as good as a carry/defensive revolver gets... and shouldn't be difficult to find:
SW65_1283.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Taurus 605 ---got it cause it was cheap---shoot mostly .38's through it.

Have been looking for something better but I'll probably keep the Taurus too.

DHart is right on the money. I have owned SP101's and a 357 LCR. A 2.5" 66 and a few others. The only 357 Magnum Snub I currently own is a 3" 66 Custom Shop DAO S&W.
The 3" Barrels FULL LENGTH Ejector Rod is a big deal if you ever need to reload in a gun fight.
I also have an Adjustable Sight 3" GP100 in 38 Special.
A Custom Shop DAO 2" 64 and a 2-3/4" 315 Night Guard. They are also in 38 Special.

My Holy Grail Revolver was a 3" S&W 686 Pre Lock 6 Shooter for years. I gave up on finding one reasonable and bought the Adjustable Sight 3" GP100. I have a reason for the 6 Shooter requirement. I shoot ICORE Revolver match's mainly in Classic Division (6 Shot Loaded with Speed Loaders) Safariland does not make a 7 shot Comp III Speed Loader.

Bob

Viper... thanks for jogging my memory! Yes, the GP100 is an awesome pistol, especially with a little action polishing.

Here’s mine, with 3” barrel (perfect length!), fixed sights, a little action polishing, and I also polished out the billboard warning on the barrel.

KGPF331_LF.jpg

Though it isn't my first choice for a defensive-use .357 snub (I prefer a 3" barrel with fixed sights), this revolver remains such a "classic" detective gun that it has a very special place in my collection. Gentlemen... presenting the 2.5" Model 19. Ain't nuttin' like it.

M19right_1066copy.jpg

M19rf_1090copy.jpg

M19lf_1073copy.jpg

Back