357 snub

Quote:
Ha, in your dreams. My S&W Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel using a 158gr .38 Special +P load commonly called "the FBI Load" gets 940fps. If you believe a 158gr .357 Magnum load will generate 1400+fps out of a 2.5" barrel you are mistaken. Somebody needs to buy a chronograph.

You may want to do a little more research. There can be a 400+ fps difference.

I don't do "research", I do chronograph testing. I will simply restate that you will never get the 500+fps velocity increase over the .38 Special FBI load previously stated, from a 2.5" barrel using any 158gr .357 Magnum load that meets pressure specs.

Don

When the 2.5" S&W M-19 was introduced Skeeter Skelton said he was quite enamored of it, later changed his mind, decided the muzzle blast and flash was too much, found a 4" no harder to conceal.
Again, of my Dan Wessons does nicely with the 2.5" barrel.

I don't do "research", I do chronograph testing. I will simply restate that you will never get the 500+fps velocity increase over the .38 Special FBI load previously stated, from a 2.5" barrel using any 158gr .357 Magnum load that meets pressure specs.

It was 400+ fps, um, ok . . . :rolleyes:

Skeeter might have found the 4" no harder to conceal but the muzzle blast and flash with full power loads is still very unpleasant in a 4" IMO.

There's something about the muzzle blast of the full power .357s in a 4" or less that is just too caustic for me to do a lot of shooting with in practice/competition. And I'm talking blast, not recoil. Without my willingness to practice a lot with a handgun and load, I am somewhat unable to trust it. Maybe I'm just gettin old :)

The cartridge is over bore capacity. Relatively big case and constricted bore...for some reason, I find full power .44 mags less unpleasant to shoot even though I don't like shooting them a lot either like I would a 9mm or .45ACP...something kinda like a drain pipe bore, seems to dissipate the blast somewhat.

The only snubby I have is a 2 3/4" .357 Ruger Speed Six. I hand load 357 cases with the Keith 168 grain semi wadcutter at about 870-900 fps. Pleasant to shoot in the heavy for it's size Speed Six, I think it would get the job done at close range.

I go for a 3 incher. Any shorter and you get too much blast.

Like this one.

AJ1RZbN.jpg

Quote:

It was 400+ fps, um, ok . . .

Here is the original post that I was responding to:

A 357 will have 500 FPS over a 38 special from the same BBL length, that is over 2X the energy.

But, just to make you happy, please show me the chronograph printout of a 158gr bullet fired in a 2.5" .357 Magnum leaving the muzzle at 1340fps.

Don

Sum zaggeratin' be goin on heah. Fo sho.

It won't be anywhere near double out of a short barrel.

All that muzzle flash you get with a snubbie .357 is unburned powder. So a lot of energy is just going off into space and not pushing the bullet.

My 357 is a 3” GP100...
It gets over 1300fps with Hornady Critical Defense 125gn.
I like 38spl just fine. If want to shoot 38spl, I have a Model 15. My GP is easy to shoot with 357, and that is what I load it with for HD.

I've always enjoyed my Model 638 and would love the Model 649. The Model 686 Plus 2 1/2" is a nice shooter but it has a large frame.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

There are some .357 loads that are designed for short barrels. They aren't as hot as some loads but do have less flash and blast than the average .357 while offering more power than .38+p. Speer's 135 grain .357 for short barrels is an example.

But, just to make you happy, please show me the chronograph printout of a 158gr bullet fired in a 2.5" .357 Magnum leaving the muzzle at 1340fps.

It's a slow week at work. I don't normally get into these convos. We can knock 50 fps for the 1/2 inch difference . . . I only carry BB when I carry my 627,617, or 608. ;)

Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 158 gr. J.H.C. (1,475fps/M.E. 763 ft. lbs.) <-ignore this part
20 Round Box
<SNIP>
The below velocities are offered so that you can see what guns/barrel lengths give what velocities with this new 357 mag. ammo. You'll notice that new S&W revolvers with short barrels are often shooting faster than older S&W revolvers with longer barrels. The new S&W revolvers are very good and are made with equipment that makes them more consistent and faster than the S&W revolvers of yesteryear.
<SNIP>
➤ 3-inch S&W J frame
c. Item 19C/20-158gr. Jacketed Hollow Point = 1398 fps

BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE HEAVY 357 Mag
140 gr. Barnes XPB @ 1550 fps
20 Round Box
<SNIP>
Below are real world velocities taken from my personal stock guns. The industry established use of long laboratory test barrels that give false high-velocity readings is essentially misleading to the public who won’t be firing the ammo from a laboratory test barrel in the real world, where it matters.
➤ 1947 fps—Marlin mod 1894, 18-inch barrel
➤ 1518 fps—S&W mod 27, 5-inch barrel
➤ 1519 fps—S&W MT Gun, 4-inch barrel
➤ 1436 fps—S&W mod 66, 3-inch barrel
➤ 1385 fps—S&W mod 66, 2.5-inch barrel

I'll go a bit against the grain here.....don't worry so much about frame size. In a good IWB holster you can conceal just about anything. I have snubby Model 29's and 24's that carry just fine. And in reality, you can conceal a 3 or 4 inch barrel pretty well. The part that "prints" is the grip. With a MAGNUM caliber, a snubby is wasting a lot of energy.

If you are talking pocket carry, of course none of what I just said about carry is relevant.

For an equal comparison - from the same manufacturer (Buffalo Bore) - here is a 158 grain 38 special +P load:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=288

38 SPL +P OUTDOORSMAN
158 gr. Hard Cast Keith 1,250 fps
20 Round Box

(ITEM 20H)

This load is safe to shoot in all 38SPL and 357 magnum firearms of modern design that are in normal operating condition.

This bullet is hard cast and properly lubed and as such will not substantially lead your barrel.

We never use extra long laboratory barrels to produce our advertised velocities, which we feel is dishonest to the customer as those extra long barrels produce extra high velocities, which you cannot duplicate with stock revolvers in the real world. Instead, we use stock firearms and you can see the velocity results below.

➤ 1255 fps -- Ruger GP 100, 6 inch barrel, 357 mag.
➤ 1186 fps -- S&W Combat Masterpiece 6 inch barrel, 38 SPL (circa 1958)
➤ 1146 fps -- S&W Mt. Gun, 4-inch barrel, 357 Mag.
➤ 1167 fps -- S&W Mod. 15, 4 inch barrel, 38 SPL (circa 1968)
➤ 1112 fps -- Ruger SP 101, 3 inch barrel, 38 SPL
➤ 1043 fps -- S&W Mod 66, 2.5 inch barrel, 357 mag.
➤ 989 fps -- S&W Mod 340PD, 1 & 7/8 inch barrel, 357 mag.
➤ 1027 fps -- S&W Mod 642 (pre dash), 1 & 7/8 inch barrel, 38 SPL

I'm fully aware of the outlandish velocity claims of Buffalo Bore. While I can't speak of their pressure levels for .357 Magnum loads, I can tell you that some of there .38 Special +P loads exceed the current SAAMI pressure specs. Still waiting for a chronograph printout as opposed to seller's hype.

Don

Most of the buffalo bore ammo I've chronographed has been consistent with their published data.

USSR, are you saying that BB's pressures exceed SAAMI specs, or just that their velocities exceed what is given in the SAAMI book for nominal speeds of a cartridge. I assume the latter, unless you have actual pressure test data of BB's ammo.

Away from the "caliber" war, and back to reality!
What 357 Magnum snubby would I by.
Economically, Taurus 605
Practically, intended to be carried. The experience I have with my LCR 38 Spcl. +P would lead me to put a 357 LCR at the top of the list.
With the included caveat of no money restriction.
Because it is what it is, I would take a hark look at the Kimber K6s.

Ha, in your dreams. My S&W Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel using a 158gr .38 Special +P load commonly called "the FBI Load" gets 940fps. If you believe a 158gr .357 Magnum load will generate 1400+fps out of a 2.5" barrel you are mistaken. Somebody needs to buy a chronograph.

No, You can cherry pick data and it does not change the facts.

BB stuff has never been a matter of outlandish claims here.
Every time I've chronoed it, it's been right in the ballpark with their published data.
Denis

Another atempt to get this thread back to reality, and away of "my statistics are better than yours".
The one and only short barreled 357 I currently have is a 2" Windicator. Limited experience with it so far, but I have no complaints.

I have chronoed many a Buffalo Bore load and they do indeed meet or exceed the velocities they publish on their website. Nothing outlandish about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back