357 snub

"...ease of trigger pull..." Irrelevant. All new firearms require a trigger job out of the box.
You cannot buy any kind of handgun for somebody that you have no idea how big their hand will be in 20 years.
Now, go buy a Smith M66 and a set of Pachmayr grips.

+1 on the 3 inch sp101. I love mine. But if it has to be shorter I'd go with the same one in the 2 and a quarter inch barrel. I've had mine for several years and it's my pocket companion. I have a 357 lcr that I can handle but it's not fun by any means nor do I believe it will be an heirloom. It does still end up in my pocket probably once a week when I don't want the weight of the sp101 but that's about it.

I'd extend your 2-2.5" bbl. length, Doc, to 3". I find that length is no more of a problem concealing, than those with shorter tubes, and the add'l 1/2" gives better velocities and precision while aiming.

For close in work, bad breath distance to 10 yds, it's very hard to beat a Smith Model 60; especially a 3" model w/adjustable sights. It'c concealable, the extra weight helps get you back on the front sight for follow up shots, and the accuracy makes it a gun you can pack while deer hunting, or other less life threatening situations. I really enjoy mine for it's relative light weight and shoot it a good bit while plinking.

An all steel snubbie is not a pocket gun, however. Short of an Alaskan winter weight parka, you'll need a belt holster of some sort. No worries for me as that's what I CC with anyway...my habitual choice (99% of the time), is a OWB model patterned after the Tom Threepersons classic (open top, trigger guard exposed and minimal leather).

HTH's Rod (I'd post a pic of mine, but Photobucket has kidnapped all of my photo's).

Last edited:
A pre-lock Model 19. However, there ain't much .357 Mag advantage (if any) over the FBI load out of a small barreled revolver. The .357 Mag uses slow burning power, which means it needs a barrel of at least 4"; longer would be better.

The .357 Mag advertised velocities were derived from 8.375" barrels that could take advantage of slow burning powder. However, I've always doubted advertised .357 Mag velocities.

A lot of recommendations for the Smith Model 19 or 66 with
2.5 inch barrel. But they do not have full ejector rods.

BUT, any of you aware of Smith's new Model 66 with a
2.75 inch barrel, full ejector rod length and front lockup
in the yoke/frame, not the end of the ejector rod?

I like mine but I don't have any prejudice against the
IL nor the MIM parts, and yes I do have and appreciate
the older Smiths too.

Easy choice, for me, either a Smith and Wesson model 19 or model 66.

Right you are. I think so highly of them, I've got 4 of them. If you're smart, you'll get either a 19, 19-1, 19-2, 19-3, or a 19-4. Or if stainless steel is your thing, then a 66 or a 66-1. These are the highly sought after pinned and recessed models. How many things in life can you use while watching it appreciate in value?

Don

Smith 19 or 66..then send it to the factory for a trigger, yoi can thank me later... I can hit 5 out of 6 at the 100 yard plate worg my 66 snub.

Don't know why anyone would be surprised about the S&W Model 66.

I already have mine, and it is the 66-2. If you go for one, try to find a 66 (no dash, a 66-1 and settle for a 66-2.

I could not pass it up for $450.00 and in almost perfect condition. Looks like it spent a lot of time in the sock drawer.

A pre-lock Model 19. However, there ain't much .357 Mag advantage (if any) over the FBI load out of a small barreled revolver.

Wrong. A 357 will have 500 FPS over a 38 special from the same BBL length, that is over 2X the energy.

I enjoy my SP 101, 357 with 4.2 barrel. I read somewhere many years ago that you need at least a 4 inch barrel to get the most out of 357 magnum cartridge. This may or may not be true but it is what I base my decision for barrel length on. But I also believe any barrel length in the SP 101 will do you a great job. Plus it is so easy to change the hammer spring to give the gun a great trigger.

Well with that train of thought to get the most out of the .357 then a 6" or 16" barrel would get even more out of the .357. I don't know who started a 2" .357 loses too much velocity/energy to be any more useful than a .38 +p I don't know but it is incorrect. A .357 snub is far more powerful. Shoot both and then you will know there must be something going on. Also look at actual chronograph results. Big difference in velocity and energy.

I'd go with a Dan Wesson snub.

Quote:
A pre-lock Model 19. However, there ain't much .357 Mag advantage (if any) over the FBI load out of a small barreled revolver.

Wrong. A 357 will have 500 FPS over a 38 special from the same BBL length, that is over 2X the energy.

Ha, in your dreams. My S&W Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel using a 158gr .38 Special +P load commonly called "the FBI Load" gets 940fps. If you believe a 158gr .357 Magnum load will generate 1400+fps out of a 2.5" barrel you are mistaken. Somebody needs to buy a chronograph.

Don

Ha, in your dreams. My S&W Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel using a 158gr .38 Special +P load commonly called "the FBI Load" gets 940fps. If you believe a 158gr .357 Magnum load will generate 1400+fps out of a 2.5" barrel you are mistaken. Somebody needs to buy a chronograph.

You may want to do a little more research. There can be a 400+ fps difference.

My thoughts about the 2 1/2" 686's.

I did not mention it, as Doc asked about 2” – 2 ½” barrel lengths. I have a 686 CS1 with a 3” barrel. For shooting full .357 Magnum ammo it is just fine. It’s somewhat a case of “overkill” with any 38-special ammo, and all the midrange .357 Magnum, I’ve put through it.

It’s a high- quality revolver that is more accurate than I’ll ever be. Yet I find it to feel overly heavy and bulky. It is not a revolver that I would wish to carry in anything less than a full “duty belt” set up. Not a gun I want to carry concealed.
If any of you are thinking about buying a 2 ½” – 3” 686 for concealed carry be sure to try one before you spend your hard earned dollars.

Back