.327 Federal Club thread

Thats pretty interesting, I have a mold for my SKS that drops 160 gr FN bullets at .314

What powder are you using? I would assume H110 or equivalent w/ srp?

Your gona make me want to find a Black Hawk in 327.

H110 would be a great choice but I was thinking the bullet was too long to stabilize and I had just a little 2400 that I don't use so that is what I loaded it with. I crimped them in the last groove and they fit into the cylinder. They shot better than I ever thought they would. I may try H110 the next time as I now know it will work.

I have a mold for a 150 SP .314 bullet but it is over 0.1" longer than the current one. I may play with it sometime in the future but I think the stabilization issue may raise its head.

I wont be able to try that with my Single seven. There is NO extra space in the cylinder. But now I may have a reason to buy a Black Hawk when I run across one.
let the hunt begin :D

Cylinder Length

Could anyone measure cylinders for me, and approximate the maximun OAL for cartridges in both the Single Seven and the Blackhawk? All this talk about shooting cast bullets has me wondering what the actual difference is. Although I'd prefer the Single Seven, I would also like the Blackhawk. Guess I'm just looking for some more information to help make my choice.

I've been able to load and shoot 327 with a 1.500" OAL in my Single Seven. I don't think I could go much longer. The Blackhawk has a longer cylinder. I think Jeff at Gunblast.com has the measurements on his website.

Finally picked up my 7.5" SS. It's a nicely put together revo. The trigger breaks cleanly at 3.5#. The weight on the Ruger site is in error (43 oz). My scale reads 38.6 oz. The cyl gap is under 0.006". I'll post pics and more details later.

I bought a 4.63, Single Seven. Can't find 327 ammo for it. Going to order brass, bullets, and dies. I hope the 327 sticks around. The manual that came with is for 17 HMR, and 22s. No mention of 327. I've got a couple hundred rounds of 32 ACP and per Gunblast the 32 ACP seems like a 4th choice. I might give it a shot.

Bought some 32 H&R Federal semi-wadcutters (1$ per round) and a box of 327 Gold Dots (27$ for 20) from Gander Mountain. Already had some 32 ACP. Went to the range. 32 ACP - powder puffs. 32 H&Rs created a smoke screen with every shot. Shot the 327 Magnums the best (prob because I gripped harder with those). Mild to wild. Like this Single Seven.
Not buying anymore manufactured ammo - too pricey. Have to wait til I get 327 reloading components.

I LIKE the caliber....think it's a good idea. A heck of a lot of .32 bore cowboy guns out there in the SASS etc. But as some have said, they gave up snubs, and I did as well. I see the point of the .327 in a snub, due to being able to
have 6 shots available. I would probably get one in a Ruger Blackhawk if it can
be found....there are not too many floating around out there.

Thanks Sevens, that is a link I will use. I have zero information on reloading the 327 magnum in any of my reloading books - round didn't exist when I bought my books.

When buying bullets and intending to load to real 327 power and velocity, consider hard, gas check bullets like "g/ch .32 115 gr. RNFP /100 " from Rimrock Bullets. Most of what I find in 32 is intended for much lower velocities and barrel temperatures...certainly not the same pressures.

I have become much less a fan of hard cast bullets. Many times they cause MORE leading because they don't upset and seal the bore. This allows flame cutting the bullet and lead being deposited in the bore.:eek:

I'm running a 12B hardness bullet at full tilt with NO leading issues!

I have become much less a fan of hard cast bullets. Many times they cause MORE leading because they don't upset and seal the bore. This allows flame cutting the bullet and lead being deposited in the bore.

I'm running a 12B hardness bullet at full tilt with NO leading issues!

It's complicated. Many guns have made no commitment to lead bullets and have throats that are too tight. Then the bullets HAVE to bump up or they won't seal the bore. Fix the throat diameters, and fewer problems occur. Then you have to find dies that are made with generous enough size yields to keep from swaging lead bullets, creating cases that are too tight for a lead expander, etc.

When I get a revolver the first thing I do is check the cylinder throat vs the bore diameter. I opened the throats on my S&W 632,but all my other. 327 revolvers have been OK on the throating. I couldn't begin to estimate the number of hot cast bullets I've put down my GP100 with no leading.

When I get a revolver the first thing I do is check the cylinder throat vs the bore diameter. I opened the throats on my S&W 632,but all my other. 327 revolvers have been OK on the throating. I couldn't begin to estimate the number of hot cast bullets I've put down my GP100 with no leading.

So we don't lose the context here, were they full up 327 Federal Magnum loads? Without the full context, some of the claims for having no issues with leading I find incredible.

I like the little round, a GP100 in it is very appealing to me. I'm not so sure these crazy days of lack of certain ammo and components hasn't had an effect on people wanting to try new and useful handgun cartridges, 357Sig is another great new round that can't quit break through. People seem relieved to just be able to find the old standbys, hell I lump myself into this group.

I was wondering was if any posters in this thread have had the S&W 632 pro series model long enough (and put enough rounds through it) to put some wear and tear on it and how has it held up?

I like the little round, a GP100 in it is very appealing to me. I'm not so sure these crazy days of lack of certain ammo and components hasn't had an effect on people wanting to try new and useful handgun cartridges, 357Sig is another great new round that can't quit break through. People seem relieved to just be able to find the old standbys, hell I lump myself into this group

It makes a big difference when shooters who don't reload are confident of a supply of ammo. The popular rounds are on every LGS shelf, or sure to be restocked. Is it an effect of popularity or a cause of popularity? Probably a result of reaching the point where the cycle of supply and demand is self sustaining, i.e. a safe bet for everyone. This carries over to demand for the guns and dealers/distributors confidence in stocking them.

First, the ammo makers need to prime the pump, so to speak, and commit to ongoing support long enough to have the round prove itself. That may be above the marketing statistics guys' pay grade.

Last edited:
Back