.327 Federal Club thread

Thundarstick,
Thanks for posting the pictures. Excellent comparison shots.

Sure makes it tougher to be patient waiting for mine to arrive though...

I seen a Single Seven today at a LGS. It is a very nice looking revolver. However as I guessed, the cylinder is shorter to the point that the heavy 327 bullets I am currently loading for my Blackhawk are too long for the Single Seven cylinder which appears to be just under 1.5". So long as you stay with lighter bullets or seat them deeper, it should work okay.

I carried a 3.5" .41 magnum for years, but after I hit 65 or so my wrists were done. 50 years of chisel and mallet mural carving left me with little cartiledge in both wrists, so (at my son's suggestion) I tried the, then new, .327 magnum.
I have two. The smaller Taurus I carry in the summer and the Ruger (with Crimson Trace) in the winter with heavier clothes. At a nominal chrono'd 1,450fps a nominal 435#ME with handloads, either of them is a solid carry piece. Hollow points are preferred, and you can order a custom mold for hollow point bullets. I have 2,000 boxer brass cases.

I've heard that the Taurus has a bad rep, but this one has been entirely dependable with no issues whatsoever and I love being able to use four different cartridges.
I have long fingers so I replaced both grips with larger custom ones.

Well, I picked up a new single seven yesterday, really like the look and feel of it. since I traded all my .327 brass and ammo off after I sold the defective taurus .327 I now am starting over. lol. since I hadn't got set up to reload this caliber, I thought Id ask you guys A few questions. what are the best set of dies for this caliber, and where can I get some economical cast bullets that will handle 327 velocities, I've been real happy with Falcon bullets, but they dont produce any in this caliber, thanks for any advice.

Picked up mine yesterday. Took it out today and shot both it an my Taurus 327.

Nice gun, I did notice the feed gate is a little finicky. There is not one extra mm of space not being used to get those 327 rounds in there.
There is just enough play in the cylinder that you can get over center on the ejection port.
The lip can catch on the gate and not come out. Found that if I keep the cylinder left they pop out just fine. But there sure is no extra room.

Hey! XFK55 where did you get bigger grips for your Taurus?
I really need a set.

Here is my Baby!
100_9590_zpsf5da8611.jpg

I also love .32-caliber stuff and have been happy with .32 H&R and .327 Federal. I too love having 6 where 5 would normally go on a smaller frame. I still wish Ruger would make an LCR in .32 H&R Magnum. I know .327 was supposed to be their baby--their lack of support is depressing--but would it just end up being fireworks in that tiny thing? (I feel like .357 pushes the envelope in an LCR too.)

There is no ".32 Mag" of which I am aware. I know of 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal Magnum.

Really?

Sometimes I wonder.

"Pre-.327," if somebody said .32 Magnum, what did you think they meant? People say .38 Special all the time rather than saying .38 S&W Special. Or .44 Remington Magnum. I've never owned any kind of H&R firearm... I think I can get away with just saying .32 Magnum. I will agree it is a bit more potentially confusing now that the .327 is out there... but I had all my .32 Mags in hand long before the longer version came around.

Just spotted a S&W 631 with "32 MAGNUM" stamped on the barrel. Is that a separate caliber or the effective default for "H&R" in the gun's day?

That's another one of scores of examples of one manufacturer not wishing to stamp the name (even the initials...) of another manufacturer on their product.

It's the same thing as every Glock 22, 23 and 27 model that is stamped ".40" on it and absolutely nothing more, even though the cartridge is well established as the .40 S&W.

since I hadn't got set up to reload this caliber, I thought Id ask you guys A few questions. what are the best set of dies for this caliber, and where can I get some economical cast bullets that will handle 327 velocities, I've been real happy with Falcon bullets, but they dont produce any in this caliber, thanks for any advice.

Hey superspirit, visit this thread for lots of discussion and ideas for handloading with the .327 Federal.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454312
I've only (so far) used one commercial cast bullet for my .327 Federal shooting and that has been Penn Bullets and his 115gr slug.
https://www.pennbullets.com/32/32-caliber.html

The die set would be the RCBS Cowboy, the only die set I found that acknowledges the larger size of lead bullets. RCBS is singularly committed to support of cast bullet reloading. I first wasted a lot of die money on other brands to find that out.

I use Hornady dies, MO Bullet Co. cowboy bullet over about as much H110 as the case will hold, touched of with CCI SP Magnum primers. No leading in any of my guns.;)

The 327 mag with the right bullet would be as good for deer as most any other common handgun round. In fact the 327 referred to in the link was using a H&R 32 magnum round when he shot the deer in the article. The biggest issue with a lot of the common factory ammo is that the bullet was designed for lower velocity and does not penetrate well. A good lead gas check SWC cast bullet would work fine on deer.

The 327 mag with the right bullet would be as good for deer as most any other common handgun round. In fact the 327 referred to in the link was using a H&R 32 magnum round when he shot the deer in the article. The biggest issue with a lot of the common factory ammo is that the bullet was designed for lower velocity and does not penetrate well. A good lead gas check SWC cast bullet would work fine on deer.

Who sells gas checks for .312 bullets? I have some 30-30 Winchester gas check bullets and they measure .310 in a finished bullet. Then there is the question of a mold. Any help there re the 327 Federal Magnum bullet?

Who sells gas checks for .312 bullets? I have some 30-30 Winchester gas check bullets and they measure .310 in a finished bullet. Then there is the question of a mold. Any help there re the 327 Federal Magnum bullet?

Regular 30 caliber gas checks work fine. Here are 150 FN cast bullets (weigh out at 153) that I shoot out of a 30-30 as well, that I run through a .314 sizer, meaning it is left as cast and just the lube is added, and they shoot about 2" groups at 25 yards.

Ruger153CastTgt-1_zpsa929e06a.jpg

Thats pretty interesting, I have a mold for my SKS that drops 160 gr FN bullets at .314

What powder are you using? I would assume H110 or equivalent w/ srp?

Your gona make me want to find a Black Hawk in 327.:D

Last edited:
Well, add plus-2 more as you can safely run .32 S&W and even .32 ACP.

Careful when ejecting the .32 ACP though, it's semi-rimmed nature makes it prone to unintentionally slip under the ejector and become difficult to clear from the cylinder.

saleen322 - Regular 30 caliber gas checks work fine. Here are 150 FN cast bullets (weigh out at 153) that I shoot out of a 30-30 as well, that I run through a .314 sizer, meaning it is left as cast and just the lube is added, and they shoot about 2" groups at 25 yards.

Assuming the OAL is right for 327 Federal Magnum, what combination of case and bullet is that pictured? The bullet appears to extend farther from the case than I would have expected.

Last edited:
Back