270 elk bullets

"Just bought a Ruger No. 1 in 270. All the talk has me sold as my go to cartridge. all input much appreciated."

Good choice. Which model do you have? The A, B, or S. I have the A and am looking for the S and the B in that order. For some reason, the S models are hard to find. At least it seems darn few got past the Rockies. I've been sort of collecting them since 1975 and have seen exactly four S models, all in .300 Win. Mag. I bought all three, leaving the fourth behind. It was just to beat up to even considering the action for a custom build. The four Ruger #1s I have in .300 Win. Mag., three S models and one B have all proved to be very accurate. I have #1s ranging from the .22 Hornet to the .416 Rigby, so yes, I really like the Ruger Number One.
Paul B.

"Just bought a Ruger No. 1 in 270. All the talk has me sold as my go to cartridge. all input much appreciated."

Good choice. Which model do you have? The A, B, or S. I have the A and am looking for the S and the B in that order. For some reason, the S models are hard to find. At least it seems darn few got past the Rockies. I've been sort of collecting them since 1975 and have seen exactly four S models, all in .300 Win. Mag. I bought all three, leaving the fourth behind. It was just to beat up to even considering the action for a custom build. The four Ruger #1s I have in .300 Win. Mag., three S models and one B have all proved to be very accurate. I have #1s ranging from the .22 Hornet to the .416 Rigby, so yes, I really like the Ruger Number One.
Paul B.
Paul, that's great to hear on the accuracy. It is a lightweight Model A with a 22" barrel. So pretty much like a 270 carbine.

Question, it comes with 30mm rings. I need 1" for the Burris scope I have. Does it take standard Ruger rings?

I have a Ruger #1A in .270. A late friend of mine had it on his table and offered it to me for a ridiculously low price. Needless to say, I bought it with the caveat from my friend. He said, "I can't make it it shoot decent groups. If you can make it work, fine. If not, bring it back and I either refund of trade for something else." Well, with my favorite factory load for the .270, Winchester 15o gr. Power Points 3" was about the best I could squeeze out of that rifle. He'd already free floated the barrel so I cut a piece off an expired credit card and placed a shim between the tip of the forearm and the barrel. Groups now run about 1.5" with the factory and 1.25" most of the times running the 150 gr. Sierra Game Kings.
I don't look for sub-MOA groups from Ruger #1 rifles, especially from the older red pad guns. If I can get a constant 1.5" or better I'm happy. That doesn't mean I don't keep trying to improve accuracy because I do.Almost all my experience with #1 rifles is with the red pad guns. I only own one #1 with a black pad and it checks out to made in 1994. It's a .300 Win. Mag "S" model. A consistent 1.5" rifle is just fine for big game. Check out Ruger's accuracy guarantee for a #1 sometime. I forget if the distance was 50 or 100 yards as I've heard it both ways. It's 2.0" at either 50 or 100 yards so take that into consideration. Anything better is just icing on the cake. Black pad guns are reputed to be better regarding accuracy due to Ruger now making their own barrels.
I know you plan on using a 130 gr. bullet but based on my rifles and comments at the range and on the web sites, #1s seem to prefer the heavier bullets. That's proved to work out in every one of my Number One rifles.
Paul B.

It is a black pad, but has a brand new barrel on it. 1.5" group would be dandy. I have some 150 grainers to load up for it.

USAF Ret, When I purchased first 1973 it was 7mag, My my next purchased same year was 270. I shot it for about 10yrs and had nephew USAF and he got station Alaska and he got that rifle and 300mag. If you push safety forward the end of safety may stop fired case and I had gunsmith trim both safety's. I have wrist deal and stand having flip rifle to get case was pain. My other two I shoot varmints so not problem.

I've reload so I do pretty good on accuracy. I did have work done on forend when rebarrel two of them. Gunsmith send barrel to Hart and they match old barrel contour and being 6ppc does help. Good luck

USAF Ret, When I purchased first 1973 it was 7mag, My my next purchased same year was 270. I shot it for about 10yrs and had nephew USAF and he got station Alaska and he got that rifle and 300mag. If you push safety forward the end of safety may stop fired case and I had gunsmith trim both safety's. I have wrist deal and stand having flip rifle to get case was pain. My other two I shoot varmints so not problem.

I've reload so I do pretty good on accuracy. I did have work done on forend when rebarrel two of them. Gunsmith send barrel to Hart and they match old barrel contour and being 6ppc does help. Good luck
Thank you for the safety tip.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ruger-1-A-in-270-Winchester_1.JPG
    Ruger-1-A-in-270-Winchester_1.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 178
@USAF ret: WOW! That's an elegant and classic rifle. With your aviation background, you can hold that falling block rifle and dream of being Denys Finch Hatton, flying around Africa in your Gypsy Moth, and romancing Karen Blixen at her coffee plantation in Kenya.

@USAF ret: WOW! That's an elegant and classic rifle. With your aviation background, you can hold that falling block rifle and dream of being Denys Finch Hatton, flying around Africa in your Gypsy Moth, and romancing Karen Blixen at her coffee plantation in Kenya.
My aviation career was not that romantic, but that sounds great. I watched dots on a radar scope.

For Africa, I am a big fan of Ghost and the Darkness. Loved the rifles in that movie.

@USAF Ret: Of course, the movie (and book) I was referring to, was "Out of Africa". But you're right, "The Ghost and the Darkness" is impossible to beat for the African rifles and hunting scenes.

If you add a wrap-around canvas or leather cartridge holder to the side of the rifle butt, you can drop the breech block, pick a cartridge, load, and slam the breech block closed pretty darn quickly. With some practice, I don't think you're particularly handicapped for speed in a hunting situation. The hunting trip is about the experience.

Last edited:
Great looking rifle--I would have gone with a Hawkeye if it had to be classic Ruger rifle--but still looks great and I hope shoots well for you too.:D

@USAF Ret: Of course, the movie (and book) I was referring to, was "Out of Africa". But you're right, "The Ghost and the Darkness" is impossible to beat for the African rifles and hunting scenes.

If you add a wrap-around canvas or leather cartridge holder to the side of the rifle butt, you can drop the breech block, pick a cartridge, load, and slam the breech block closed pretty darn quickly. With some practice, I don't think you're particularly handicapped for speed in a hunting situation. The hunting trip is about the experience.
I have one of those on my 30-30. I think that is a great idea. Thank you.

Great looking rifle--I would have gone with a Hawkeye if it had to be classic Ruger rifle--but still looks great and I hope shoots well for you too.:D
I love the M77 and Hawkeye. That would be a great rifle. I have just always wanted a falling block. Y'all have literally made me love the 270, so when I saw this with the new barrel and the price point I jumped.

Back