270 elk bullets

I think they make 130 and 140 grs.--I'm overseas at the moment so can't check my stash, but I have used them in both loaded ammo and handloads and have been quite impressed with their consistency, they are very well made from what I can tell. I haven't used them hunting but wouldn't hesitate to.
Are you serving on or vacation?

Are you serving on or vacation?
Not in any service; combination business/vacay. Though I see you are a vet--thanks for your service.

I use the federal bullets in my 270 WSM--which unfortunately was not designed with heavier bullets in mind (and slower twist)--and which is why the 6.8 western came along. If I had a choice between 270 win, 270 WSM and the 6.8 western--i'd get the western.

Last edited:
I used to think the same thing until I hit a 9pt in the brisket at 127 yards with a 154 Interbond from my 280. It destroyed the heart and the bottom of both lungs, breaking the left front leg on the way out. The Interbonds are rarely available, so I've gone to the GMX/CX. They are as accurate as the IB, so will be going to them.

I used to think the same thing until I hit a 9pt in the brisket at 127 yards with a 154 Interbond from my 280. It destroyed the heart and the bottom of both lungs, breaking the left front leg on the way out. The Interbonds are rarely available, so I've gone to the GMX/CX. They are as accurate as the IB, so will be going to them.
What did you used to think? I am unclear to your reference.
I have had plenty of unbounded cup and core bullets smash shoulder blades and exit.

Not in any service; combination business/vacay. Though I see you are a vet--thanks for your service.

I use the federal bullets in my 270 WSM--which unfortunately was not designed with heavier bullets in mind (and slower twist)--and which is why the 6.8 western came along. If I had a choice between 270 win, 270 WSM and the 6.8 western--i'd get the western.
The 6.8 has peaked my interest, but like all new cartridges, need to see what direction it is going.

Well, my first loads I have ever done are getting tested tomorrow. Not my 270, but the 6.5 Creedmoor. Shooting out of my Ruger American to get comfortable, before I start using my loads in my more expensive hunting rifles.

Well, my first loads I have ever done are getting tested tomorrow. Not my 270, but the 6.5 Creedmoor. Shooting out of my Ruger American to get comfortable, before I start using my loads in my more expensive hunting rifles.
Reloading is not hard to do--but does demand you pay attention to the basics and not let your guard down--I know this from personal experience and a couple of blown-up rifles. I've been doing it for 15 years for dozens of different cartridges but still consider myself a relative novice at it. Thankfully there are true experts are this forum, you'll figure out who they are pretty quickly. In addition to getting the "usual suspects" loading manuals, I highly recommend getting a software tool like quickload and a chrono (I personally favor Labradar). You'll eventually be able to refine your loading technique to finding the best harmonic balances for your particular barrels, the chrono and software like quickload will help not only in developing loads but also as "cross-checks" to verify projections of the load's performance. Don't be afraid to work with the 270 win--it's an uber-classic for a reason and is very flexible in load choices. Creedmore is also a great cartridge capable of fantastic performance, but can also be "finicky" in my experience.

Reloading is not hard to do--but does demand you pay attention to the basics and not let your guard down--I know this from personal experience and a couple of blown-up rifles. I've been doing it for 15 years for dozens of different cartridges but still consider myself a relative novice at it. Thankfully there are true experts are this forum, you'll figure out who they are pretty quickly. In addition to getting the "usual suspects" loading manuals, I highly recommend getting a software tool like quickload and a chrono (I personally favor Labradar). You'll eventually be able to refine your loading technique to finding the best harmonic balances for your particular barrels, the chrono and software like quickload will help not only in developing loads but also as "cross-checks" to verify projections of the load's performance. Don't be afraid to work with the 270 win--it's an uber-classic for a reason and is very flexible in load choices. Creedmore is also a great cartridge capable of fantastic performance, but can also be "finicky" in my experience.
No way could I have gotten to this point without folks on the forum.

Oh, 270 will be my baby for reloading. I have a chance at a disabled veterans elk hunt next year, and I want to roll my own. I just want to use this caliber and rifle to get my process down.

I have a MagnetoSpeed Chrono I will be using tomorrow.

USAF thanks for your service. When you start with the 270 don't over imr7828 with a 140gn bullet. My old mauser loves it. Shot a deer at a laser measured distance of 275yds. 1 shot the deer went 30yds and dropped.

USAF thanks for your service. When you start with the 270 don't over imr7828 with a 140gn bullet. My old mauser loves it. Shot a deer at a laser measured distance of 275yds. 1 shot the deer went 30yds and dropped.
Thank you. I will look for that powder next time I go to the store.

IMR 4831 was my favorite powder for all bullet weights until H4831SC came out. I use that almost exclusively for the .270 Win now. Either H or IMR 4350 is hardly ever a wrong choice in an 06 sized case as well, it just may not be the fastest. I'd like to try some RL26 but that has been unobtainum for awhile now.

I should say I've found it but refused to pay the price asked.

IMR 4831 was my favorite powder for all bullet weights until H4831SC came out. I use that almost exclusively for the .270 Win now. Either H or IMR 4350 is hardly ever a wrong choice in an 06 sized case as well, it just may not be the fastest. I'd like to try some RL26 but that has been unobtainum for awhile now.

I should say I've found it but refused to pay the price asked.
I need to head back over to Defender Ammunition company again soon. I will keep these powders on my list in case they have them in stock.

You should get some 6.5 staball--works well for both 6.5 creedmoor and the 270 win and is presently plentifully available. I know some people have not had good results with it--but the cartridges I did using it in 270 win performed extremely well.

You should get some 6.5 staball--works well for both 6.5 creedmoor and the 270 win and is presently plentifully available. I know some people have not had good results with it--but the cartridges I did using it in 270 win performed extremely well.
Thanks. I have 17.5 lbs of it. (Approximately) It is great powder. One of my 6.5 x 284 will only shoot bugeyes with IMR 4350.

What did you used to think? I am unclear to your reference.
I have had plenty of unbounded cup and core bullets smash shoulder blades and exit.
Reynolds357, I've had some spectacular failures with C&C from my 7mm Remington.

Reynolds357, I've had some spectacular failures with C&C from my 7mm Remington.
I shot a 7 Rem mag for about 15 years. I only had one C and C failure. It was a 140 sierra game king that penetrated less than three inches. I am 100% sure it was a defect and not a true failure. Some of the Orig Nosler Ballistic tips blew up, but they killed so fast I just assumed that was what they were supposed to do until they changed the bullet to fix it.

Added to the list.

The 6.8 has peaked my interest, but like all new cartridges, need to see what direction it is going.
The 6.8 western has some real potential imho. Basically a revamped 270 to use heavier higher BC bullets. Im seriously considering getting one if a few of the major manufacturers start building rifles for it.

Back