270 elk bullets

Not necessarily here is the minimum impact velocites in FPS I have on .308 caliber Barnes TTSX and LRX bullets.

130 TTSX = 1800
150 TTSX = 2000
165 TTSX = 1800
168 TTSX = 1500
175 LRX = 1600
180 TTSX= 1500

This is not an email I've received, but one I found posted online. Same for the minimum impact velocites of the bullets posted. So I can't answer with 100% certainty that the 150's is that high.
Thanks buddy. That is exactly the information I needed. 168 grain is the way to go.
For the 270, I ordered the 129 grain LRX bullets to give them a try and the 150 grain partitions a buddy is sending to me.

Last edited:
All .270 stuff is hard to find, bullet makers are having a hard time just keeping up with the real popular stuff. While the .270 is still popular most people are happy with 130 grain bullets.

With the exception of Nosler, which has become non-existent, I have not had trouble finding .270 Berger, Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Swift, or Norma. Have not seen Barnes since the acquisition.
This!

I can say, I have been able to find 6.5 in Nosler, but 308 and especially 27- are hard to find/

I don't use a .270 all that often but the one thing I can say is The .270 is one of the easiest rifle/cartridge to find an accurate load.

I'm not a fan of 130 gr. bullets because I think they tear up too much eating meat. A bullet that has worked for me has been the Sierra 150 gr. Game king. I've used them on big Nevada and Arizona Mule deer with great success. Last animal I shot with that bullet in the .270 was an antelope back in 2009. Spent the time since then on mainly elk with the .35 Whelen. However, one of my hunting partners prefers the .270 for almost everything. I've seen what he can do with his .270 and the 150 gr. Game King. I've personally seen him take elk on three different hunts with that rifle and load. The Game King flat out works for him.

I can run that bullet or the 150 gr. Nosler over a charge of the long gone Winchester WMR at just very slightly under 2900 FPS and both loads will do about .75" on average. Point of impact horizontally is about even but one shoots slightly higher. I don't remember which. That's the bad news. The good news is I can switch them back and forth and the groups will be about 1.25", that's six shots, three with each bullet on the same target.
Paul B.

I don't use a .270 all that often but the one thing I can say is The .270 is one of the easiest rifle/cartridge to find an accurate load.

I'm not a fan of 130 gr. bullets because I think they tear up too much eating meat. A bullet that has worked for me has been the Sierra 150 gr. Game king. I've used them on big Nevada and Arizona Mule deer with great success. Last animal I shot with that bullet in the .270 was an antelope back in 2009. Spent the time since then on mainly elk with the .35 Whelen. However, one of my hunting partners prefers the .270 for almost everything. I've seen what he can do with his .270 and the 150 gr. Game King. I've personally seen him take elk on three different hunts with that rifle and load. The Game King flat out works for him.

I can run that bullet or the 150 gr. Nosler over a charge of the long gone Winchester WMR at just very slightly under 2900 FPS and both loads will do about .75" on average. Point of impact horizontally is about even but one shoots slightly higher. I don't remember which. That's the bad news. The good news is I can switch them back and forth and the groups will be about 1.25", that's six shots, three with each bullet on the same target.
Paul B.
Thank you for your comments, sir. My first reloading (starting tomorrow with powder and bullet seating) is the 130 gr TGK for 6.5 CR. That will be my deer medicine here in NC if I can make it out a few times this year.

Which ones? Thanks.
I think they make 130 and 140 grs.--I'm overseas at the moment so can't check my stash, but I have used them in both loaded ammo and handloads and have been quite impressed with their consistency, they are very well made from what I can tell. I haven't used them hunting but wouldn't hesitate to.

Back