1851 Pietta Revolver

I think it'd be more like the three little old men standing on the street corner. First geezer says "it's Tuesday! second geezer, "Is Not, it's Wednesday! " third Geezer says "Sure the he++ is! Let's get inside out of it."

We could call it.

"The Over The Hill Gang meets the Wild Bunch, but can't remember why!"

Someone on the SCORRS forum just won a pair of 75 Rem.s and holster rig that Brad Pitt wore in the "New" Jesse James Movie. I haven't heard of it but the guy got the guns and rig, so it must be in the pipeline.
I love the western Channel on Dish TV. Lots of old ones I'd never seen and a lot that I've seen a hunderd times. Saw The Culpper Cattle Co. Movie the other night.. Never saw that one. I also like the fact that my boss gives me the Dish TV as a perk. The Good ,The bad, and the ugly was on and I was RROFLMAO! at the guns...all are C & B but the were used as cartridge. The closeups of the guns were hilarious. Lee Van Cleef used a "58 Rem, Clint a Colt and the other bad guy had a colt hung around his neck on a cord. Pretty funny when they asked for cartridges. That is what caught my attention as I had just seen the C & B cylinder in one gun.

The over the Hill gang...

Low Key walks out of the hardware store, stocked up with fresh powder, caps and lead, he spots his buddies just down the walk. As he walks toward his group he notices that they are all leaned against the wall…asleep!

He pulls his 1858 Remington revolver from it’s holster, cocks it and points it skyward.
BOOM!!
No one moves. All he hears….”zzzzzzzzzzz”. Still asleep. He sits down, places the Remington across his lap and pulls his hat over his eyes. “If you can’t wake em up with that, you might as well join em”

The over the hill gang and their young apprentice, sleep peacefully for several hours before riding out to the hills for some target practice.
:p

Pretty good Low Key.
Sleep is good, un interrupted sleep is better.

I want die like my Grandfather did. in his sleep...not screaming like the other passengers in his car.....

OD , I just got on here this morning and just about spit coffee through my nose reading your post:D
LowKey, I said it before and I'll say it again...you should be a writer:) I was just going to ask if anyone had heard from you lately.

I want die like my Grandfather did. in his sleep...not screaming like the other passengers in his car.....

:D Amen to that! LMAO! If I ever meet you I'll remember not to let you drive me anywhere though! :p

LowKey, I said it before and I'll say it again...you should be a writer I was just going to ask if anyone had heard from you lately.

Yep, I'm still here...too ornery to get rid of! :) I've not been on in the evening much lately, been clearing some brush off my land while it's not raining. Makes the ol' back sore, but the hillside is looking better. As far as me being a writer, maybe one day I'll put something together...might actually even sell a copy or two!

Last edited:
I just posted this on the shooting at the Mojave desert thread but I'll do it agin here.
I found my misfire problem on Sat. I just tried the caps on all three cylinders, Sure enough one cylinder has #11's. It is the oldest of the three, the 2000 that came with the newest (to me) '58. Now I need to change out those nipples to match the other two or carry two cappers and try to remember which cylinder is which. Maybe I can mark it so I know.

I believe Low key Or Steve posted that he changed nipples and their name. any help as to the name and part No. and were they #10's???

You may be thinking of Steve. The nipples on both my Rems are the originals and I believe they are #10's. I have to pinch the Remnington # 11 caps, but CCI # 11's fit nice and snug, I think I read somewhere in the forum that the CCI #11's are about the same as Remington #10's.

Thanks Low key,
I just tried #11's on my older two Cylinders and they fall off, so I for sure, have two different sizes of nipples. the #11's fit nice and snug on the one cylinder nipples just like they are supposed to. but if I slip a # 10 on it it rode really high, hence the misfires I experienced. Pietta must have chaged the nipple size between 2000 and 2002. Probably when they went to the new machinery in the factory.
Oh well it the little things that keeps us hopping...and shooting these "58's.

Dragoon, yes I just changed the nipples on my Pietta .58. I ordered them from Dixie. The ad says these nipples (Ampco) are made from a high tensile strength alloy, 118,000 psi,which is stronger than most barrel metals and is resistant to erosion. The base hole is .028 inch which is supposed to reduce blowback and concentrate the flame into the charge. The size I ordered was 6mm x .75 , the part number is NP1080.

I haven't shot the gun since I installed the nipples but have popped a few caps while fitting my hammer face to them. They are a golden color, makes the pistol look like it's capped if you don't look too close, and they have a very smooth finish. The ad says no. 11 caps fit them. I only have the new Remington caps on hand so I can't say about other brands but # 11 Remingtons are loose. They'd probably work in a "pinch" but the nipples are so slickly finished I would be afraid they would drop free. The #10 Remingtons slide on with just a touch of resistance and bottom out with thumb pressure. I used kitchen matches to soot up the back of the nipples when I fitted the hammer face so the gold color isn't showing right now, but they looked a little out of place on my antiqued Remington. I hope they discolor some after they get fired a little.

Low Key, I could picture the scene you wrote about the group all being asleep leaning against the wall. There is only one problem with the concept, though. In any group of sleeping geezers which consists of more than three individuals, at any given time at least one member of the group will be awake going to, coming from, or trying to recall if they went to, the bathroom. In a western setting, if we go the R rating route, and the wall's right there anyway, at least we could keep the group from wandering off.

Steve

Steve,
Thanks, I'm probabnly headed that way.
movie,
A whole new meaning for "Hole in the Wall Gang"...........
Now you see how my mind works sometimes.

A friend of mine who knows a whole lot more about this than I replaced his nipples with the one's Steve is talking about and he say's they are the best he has ever seen and he has seen a lot of them in his day. He also uses Remington #10. That's what I use on both of my Remingtons now and before that I used the #1075 German caps. My rems are a few years old to say the least and when I bought them I bought two extra cylinders and 24 extra nipples. Believe it or not I have never had to replace them and still shoot the original ones in the cylinders when I got them.
This new 51 Colt of mine loves #10 CCI. and they fit like a glove. They are smaller or have a thicker wall than the Remington #10's.
I have no use for #11 caps at all. They are even to large for my .45 pistol and my muzzle loaders. It makes it nice to have them all the same so I may change the nipples on my Colt to take the Remington #10 caps also.
I wonder if the extra Remington nipples I have will fit the 51 Colt ?....I'll have to check that out today.
Well, it's another beautiful day here so it's time for me to head out and take on some Pine cones and sticks, Lol. Later you all!

Well it looks like there's a replacing nipples session in my future. I think this weekend's shoot I'll just mark the cylinder with an orange dot so I can keep track of it and maybe start off with that cylinder and then trade off the other two. it sur is/will be a PITA the way it is. I may just send for new Pietta nipples and hope that they are #10's

Well it's a nice day here also, but I need to get out there and go to work.

Old Dragoon were you using CCI#10 caps? Didn't you try the #11's I had? I can't remember. That's all I have ever used on my Piettas. My 1851 Navy Uberti needs Rem#10's they are a hair larger than the CCI #11's. I don't understand why but my CCI#11's would not seat down all the way even if I hammer seated them. the odd tin of Rem # 10's fit right on. Now I could have a mismarke batch of caps but thats highly unlikely...anyone else ever run into this?

I was using CCI #10's cause that's what fits my newer Piretta Cylinders, Remember we talked about hammer seating the capafter the first misfiress...then I didn't.
This morning when I put them both on the new cylinder it was an eye opener. the # 11(CCI) seated fine, but the #10' rode really high..high enough to maybe get knocked off when the cylinder rotates, I tried to seat the # 10 cap and I did but it split..lucky for me it did or I'd never have gotten it off the nipple without firing it.

That's right I remember...hell we were havin too much fun shootin to remember everythin' LoL... Do the cones resemble the one with the wrench in the other posting I did on Cabelas? The newer model takes the #11 right? I think that's the case all mine have been 2003 up...that I have been shooting.

2000 cylinder takes 11's, 2002, 2005 cylinders takes #10's. I haven't had a chance to look at the nipples again, been on here looking and reading'.

OD, Steve, I love it when a plan comes together:) The nipples from my Remington fot my 51 Navy perfectly so now all my BP guns use the same #10 Remington caps.
I tried the Remington #10 on on the original Colt nipples and they worked fine but just a bit loose so I used the CCI #10 and they fit perfect but I had a few misfires and wasn't happy about that. Mec just mentioned this problem with CCI caps in an artical he posted about the Goex Pennical powder.He stated that he believed they are made with thicker skins and there for a little harder to set off. He may have something there....
Anyway, now eveything is as it should be and I am one with the universe here on one of God's mountain tops in Valley Fork West Virginia :)
Ran four cylinders through the navy with no caps falling in the works or failing to fire.

Back