1851 Pietta Revolver

yea,you dont see many of those today!i got mec book ordered finally.amazon had it.i couldnt find it when i looked for it but mec sent me the link for it.i cant wait for it to get here cause it sounds like it is full of info.

Sure wish they would bring the old wetern style movies back!YEEE- HAAAA.

You and me both, pard! I got to see half of the shootist a couple of days ago and that got me to wanting to see pale rider and unforgiven again. They don't make em like they used to anymore! :(

Low Key, Just think of the money we could make if they hire all of us to carry our Remington and colts in a new western. My GOD I would make a handsome old cowboy! :D :D

Kevin, You will really like that book. It gives more info on each gun and many other aspects of C&B guns than I have ever found anywhere else.
Youwont see Mec in the middle of all these arguements on here but believe me he could set a few people straight in a hurry.:)

Low Key, Just think of the money we could make if they hire all of us to carry our Remington and colts in a new western. My GOD I would make a handsome old cowboy!

Sounds like a good idea to me! I could stand to have a few more dollars laying around. :D Since you've got handsome covered, I'll be the smart young feller learning all the tricks from the old farts! :p

Just kidden! :)

If you buy the E-book, can you download it to a CD? That might be the way to go for me, but I like books too. I gotta get a copy soon.

RK,
I did experience some non firing #10 Caps from CCI Sat. might have been the way I loaded them, might not, i didn't check which cylinder I was shooting either. I have two good cylinders that I know of and the last one is not finished to the full depth of the chamber. This cylinder came in the new gun. This cylinder is finshed down to about 1/4 inch from the end of the chamber then it is rough cut(2000). My other two are finished to the full depth, (2002, 2005).

I'll check the nipples out this week, as I seem to remember that the caps went on harder and I may need #11's for that cylinder. Bummer. but other than that everything worked great. If that cylinder takes 11's I'll change out the nipples so I can use 10's on everything.

Oh and if you guys need a fat old man for the movie...count me in.

"You wont see Mec in the middle of all these arguements on here but believe me he could set a few people straight in a hurry..."

I'm not looking to be right, or to be "set straight" by anyone, all I want is info - I'll pass on what I know, what I've learned, and believe me, I'll absorb new info like a sponge. If someone has useful info that might end arguments, then by all means bring it out.

OD, Strap on the Remingtons and come along! Maybe if we have enough people to write a western director or producer we can get them to make another good one.
I would like to see Clint come riding back in town at his age now and look at the bad guy with that little stogie hanging out of his mouth and say to old Ugly.....("I'M BACK) HA!! Lol.

I think I look real pretty in this picture. Unfortunately I have to pick the pictures carefully. In real life, I look like Jack the Ripper looking for a straw hat in a urinal.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Dragoon, I replaced the original nipples on my Pietta Remington with ampco nipples from Dixie yesterday. The old ones were becoming battered at the top, the hammer face not bearing squarely on them when it struck. I had been reluctant to try to change the angle on the hammer face due to the loss of the case hardening but after I put the new ones in I decided to go for it and found there WASN'T any case hardening! If there ever had been, it was so thin so as to be worthless. I was getting a few misfires as the old nipples deformed and left an angled anvil under the cap. The new nipples were supposed to be for #11 caps but # 10 Remingtons are a perfect fit. If I get the angle and length correct on the hammer face so it just touches the nipple with no cap on it, do you think the soft hammer will be much of a problem?
Mike, my Uberti Colt replica must be just right. I think the arbor bottoms out like George was talking about. I can put the wedge in with my thumb and stop pushing just as the tip is even on the other side, do the twist test you mentioned and get no play. A piece of paper between the barrel and cylinder can be pulled if it's already in there but you can't put one in. I can push the wedge on through as far as moderate thumb pressure will take it. The rounded tip is then protruding with the sides of the tip just even with the outside of the barrel. The paper will still pull with the same apparent resistance. I don't need anything to get it back out besides thumb pressure on the tip. It doesn't work loose from there when I shoot it. I understand how critical to accuracy the fit is and am really, really happy I lucked out like that. I agree with you, George, that a new gun should be RIGHT but that's often not the case. If the whole market for these things would start returning all the substandard junk that's being put out, maybe we'd see some improvement. I know I'll never buy ANYTHING from Palmetto again and I don't think MPP1423 will either, right, Kevin?

Steve

Steve, I don't know about your gun but on the 1851 the cylinder moves back and forth with a little play. You have to slide the cylider back to get the paper in and then let it go and slide the paper out . On some of the old models this was the test to check your wedge tightness. The one I have allows the wedge to come out with the thumb but it wont stay tight if I just seat it with my thumb.
The hammers on the Piettas do come case hardened on the new revolvers but I don't know about Uberti and on my older Remingtons they were not cased hardened and you had to do it yourself. That book I told you about a while back on home gunsmithing has an artical about how to do it. I got the book long after I did mine,lol. Story of my life!

Mec. You look like you just steped off your horse and started shooten!!! Your hired for our movie.:D

Mike, the hammer on my Rem. had a little half circle impression on it where it was only hitting on the top edge of the nipples. The sides of the hammer face were bulged outward ever so slightly from the rearward movement of the metal deformation of that little half circle. When I took a file to it, I couldn't feel anything like it feels when you hit a hard surface. Maybe the deformation of the soft metal behind the case hardening had cracked it enough that the file could bite, I don't know. The gun is a 2004 model, should have had a hardened hammer. When I get it fitted correctly if it continues to show any signs of problems, I'll get some Kasenit and re-do it. The hammer on my Uberti seems to just touch the nipples. I haven't done it, of course, but I think I could dry-fire it without battering the nipples.

Steve

I really like reading this fourm. It is one of my high points.

Movie sounds like a good idea. If I were in it we could call it
“The Over the Hill Gang” How about “The Absent Mined ????”.
Maybe “How the West Was Lost”, “Dances With Themselves”,
“The good, the Bad, and the Totally Lost”.

I am for it.

Yeah, and it could be full of lines, like, " fill yer hand, sidewinder...... I said FILL yer hand, sidewinder...... I SAID, FILL YER HAND, SIDEWINDER....... NO, not spill the band, FILL YER HAND!!!!"

Steve

Steve,
Hell No!!!!!!!!!! Live And Learn!im Beginning To Wonder About Dixie Period!the Other .31 I Got Was A Pietta And The Hand Broke After 16 Shots And I Just Today,1 1/2 Week Later Got My Replacement Hand.

Kevin, There was another guy on this site who recieved a 1858 from them and had to send it because the cylinder holes would not line up with the breach. The next one they sent him didn't line up right either and it had rust in the barrel. Now I can't see any revolver being sent out to anyone like that and it just shows that they don't even bother to check there stock when it comes in or before it goes out. A large company may let it happen once but twice to the same customer is rediculous.

I really like reading this fourm. It is one of my high points.

Movie sounds like a good idea. If I were in it we could call it
“The Over the Hill Gang” How about “The Absent Mined ????”.
Maybe “How the West Was Lost”, “Dances With Themselves”,
“The good, the Bad, and the Totally Lost”.

I am for it.

Tinker2 , LOL, sounds like you and Steve need to be the writers or maybe the directors :) Your idea reminds me of that old western comedy called "The over the hill gang" Remember that one?

Back