YouTube weenies vs .357 Magnum...

I also keep my full size (3 inch or longer barrel) .357's in the house loaded with .38+P. There's no sense having that amount of power when you're likely shooting at point blank range and losing your hearing.

God wants you to keep your hearing so he can scorn you about that one time you accidentally walked into the bathroom and saw your cousin when she was naked.

Not saying that .357 doesn't have its place for self defense, but in the home... I really just do not like it for that use.

BTW Denis, I agree with you on downloading .30-06 to chase rabbits and deer. It's dumb and you know what works better? The Henry Big Boy in .327 Magnum.

I had a Marlin in the older .32 Mag, nice little gun & caliber.
Let it go, I just never got around to doing anything with it.

It's a .22 for me on rabbits. :)
Denis

I think some are missing the point, and I gotta say I agree with it, on the whole.

The point is why buy a magnum just to carry .38s in it?
I buy a magnum to carry magnums.
If I want to carry .38s, I'll carry a .38.
I buy the .357 primarily because it is built heavier and can take more punishment. Even if I only intend on carrying .38's for practice and or defensive purposes...but because it's the .357 I always have the option to shoot .357 should I so desire.

Why not buy a .357? It allows you to shoot both.

At the time I bought my Model 19 S&W and my Model 586s, there were no .38 Special versions of those two models.

A claw hammer is good for driving nails. A sledge hammer is good for driving railroad spikes. But a claw hammer is not too good for driving spikes, nor is a sledge hammer good for driving nails. If .38 Special cartridges will do the job, then why not use them, no matter the revolver used?

A .357 Magnum cartridge will not kill any deader than a .38 Special.

Bob Wright

Ok.. I dont know HOW many little vids I've watched of guys shooting a .357 snub...and then tell everyone to use .38+p's in it... Well, duh, why not just have bought a cheaper .38 rated for +p ammo...

Seems like you got irked... I wasnt talking about range shooting but carrying... Why carry a .357 with .38's in it... Ive carried several 357's over the tears and this doesnt make sense unless someone just wants a dual caliber gun...not trying to flame anyone, just curious...

Why do you even care? It is perfectly fine to shoot .38 spl or .38 spl +P out of a .357 mag revolver, or shoot .357 mag. It is their gun, not yours. If they want to shoot lighter loads, more power to them. If when they are ready, they can transition to .357 mag. Buying the .357 mag revolver is more versatile and cheaper than buying a .38 spl +P revolver and then having to then buy a .357 mag revolver.

You worry about running your own guns and let other people worry about running their own guns and how they spend their own money. No reason to call them names for not shooting how YOU think they should be shooting when what they are doing is perfectly fine.

After killing a cotton mouth with a .357 magnum and nearly deafening myself with no ear protection I greatly understand carrying .38s over .357 mags. As long as what someone is doing is safe, responsible and works for them What business is it of mine to be irked?

I'm not irked, just bemused over the number of people who buy .357s to carry .38s in. :)
Always puzzled me why they didn't just buy a .38 to begin with.
Denis

I'm not irked, just bemused over the number of people who buy .357s to carry .38s in.

Because why give yourself options, right? I mean when I bought my SP101 it was the same price for a 38+P or 357 mag model, so who in their right mind would purchase something that gives them the choice vs purchasing a model limited to a single caliber? You're right, that makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:

And that's why I don't own a .357 revolver.
I don't like the cartridge. It's too loud and violent for what you get. .357 works best in 6"+ barrels anyway.
And, yes- I can "handle" the recoil. I just don't like it-and I see no reason for .357 for defense in my situations. I don't like .40 S&W for the same reasons.

I'm not irked, just bemused over the number of people who buy .357s to carry .38s in. :)
Denis
I think it depends on what revolver you buy. For a .38 that has a 3 inch or longer barrel, there aren't many good options out there for quality made ones that are significantly lower than .357 Magnum revolvers are. The only non snub .38 that Ruger makes is the 3 inch LCRx and that's around $400. The 4 inch Charter .357 that doesn't use polymer is the same price... and it's .357 Magnum.

Unless you're buying used, .357 is a better choice than .38 for non-snub revolvers that are brand new because the cost is very similar. For snub revolvers, if you're going to shoot .38 in it only, no reason to spend the extra money on a .357.

To make it clear (er): I am not suggesting in any way that anybody SHOULD choose to shoot a .357 Mag instead of a .38.

OK, back to the shooting. :)
Denis

And that's why I don't own a .357 revolver. I don't like the cartridge. It's too loud and violent for...
I do own a couple ... but I reload. My loads are 158g SWCs at around 1000fps. No not so load/violent... No .38 Special brass around here as not needed, as you can always load a .357 Mag cartridge to spit out a bullet from 500fps to 1X00fps. One cartridge to do all the .38 does and more. Your/my call. Have never bought a factory load that I can remember. Probably did back in those early days to collect some brass. Now I just use Starline when I need it. Point is most magnum cartridges can be tailored to your needs/wants. I use the .357 for plinking and my wife can shoot it too. The .4X revolvers for the woods.

As to the topic. Naw, doesn't irk me. Shoot what you like. No big deal if you 'like' shooting .38s in a .357.

Last edited:
There is actually a lot of room between 38 and 357 even in snubs. So if somebody wants to reload something between 38+p and 357 they can. An example I have loaded is a 150 grain DEWC at 1000 fps.

Denis
Because steel .357 Magnum revolvers tend to be more sturdy than alloy .38Spl revolvers....

....and the extra length on the .357 ejector rod kicks .38Spl cases out more reliably.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Well... I guess I opened a can of worms...great responses and great info....and jbtw, my handle comes from spending 7 years in the Army as a tank commander on M-1's.... I run 125gr Golden Sabers in my .357 snubbie....

Yes... YouTube gun stuff.. "Irks" me...Especially the "I got a new gun and Im unboxing it".... If .38+p's in a .357 are your thing...great... I think that folks should use what they can "effectivley" operate...meaning, good hits on bad guy.... I was just wondering why people pick a certain firearm and downgrade it...thanks for the opinions and info..

Last edited:
Well... I guess I opened a can of worms...great responses and great info....and jbtw, my handle comes from spending 7 years in the Army as a tank commander on M-1's.... I run 125gr Golden Sabers in my .357 snubbie....
For Germany? Sorry, someone had to say it. :D

Back