YouTube weenies vs .357 Magnum...

Many things irk me but someone deciding to carry .38’s in their .357 isn’t one of them.....nope, never crossed my radar...lol

Oh, where to start? ......

There have been valid points made all around, here, with regard to pros and cons of putting .38's in a .357 .... recoil management and tolerance, ease of extraction, excessive (or insufficient) "SturmundDrang", wasted performance potential vs. wasted performance (overpenetration) .... etc, etc. .......

In my own experience, I really only shoot .357 and .38 for informal plinking or to dispatch wounded deer (it happens when you take kids hunting, and shooting a deer in the head at close range with a centerfire rifle is a BAD idea), and for the latter, either one, or a 9mm or even a 22lr pistol works, but may not be legal (YMMV) where you are. IME, I think .357 out of a handgun, no matter how hot it's loaded, is marginal at best for hunting deer .... you may think differently, and that's OK, too.

I used to shoot a bit of .357 at bowling pin matches, and some IDPA ...... in both those cases, most of the more experienced guys were shooting hot loaded 158gr .38's out of ..357 revolvers (large framed, sometimes 7 or even 8 shot ported guns at the pin matches, and steel framed .357 snubs at IDPA) ..... their follow up shots were faster, and reloads were MUCH faster than mine ...... the only time I ever beat any of them was when they missed (or worse, knocked a pin over and it stayed on the table) and I did not. If one were to carry a wheelgun, and anticipated needing to do a reload, I think that this might not be a bad idea ...... I don't carry one, so that's a moot question for me.

With regard to recoil tolerance (and I think maybe that's where the OP got his "youtube weenies" in the title) ..... everybody has different levels of tolerance for recoil, based on a lot of factors ....... age, infirmity, physical condition/muscle tone, expectations, mindset ..... add in the load used and the particular gun it's fired out of ..... that's a lot of variables. I've noted this in threads on recoil tolerance in rifles before....... The OP is ostensibly a youngish man in great physical shape ...... IDK what youtube videos he's referring to, but my overall impression of the average youtube gun guy is someone very young that's never worked outside a cubicle (if at all!), and has softer hands than than Madge from the Palmolive commercials...... they don't have the hand strength that somebody that works with their hands every day for decades has developed ..... they probably only fired a polymer framed Windernine fed 115gr range ammo for reference, as well ..... they expect a "Magnum" to kick them, and so it does ..... my perception of the "average person of their generation" is that their mindset is ..... well, .... weak...... and like many generations before them, they think they know it all, and the things they figure out are brand new discoveries nobody has come up with before (possibly because it's not been put out in a short video format that they can find on their phone) .... and that does "irk" me a bit, too..... so I can kinda see where Mr. Panzer is coming from there ..... but I'm given to understand that I'm becoming a crabby old curmudgeon that thinks there's no functional difference between those who cannot read and those who do not read, so what do I know?

I think .357 out of a handgun, no matter how hot it's loaded, is marginal at best for hunting deer...

Having shot several deer with a .357 Magnum revolver, I tend to agree.

Don

Having shot several deer with a .357 Magnum revolver, I tend to agree.
- Don

So have I and I disagree completely.
- Moosemike

Having seen Eastern Coastal Whitetail "deer" , I would concur with you, Mike ...... every situation is different, and I've taken seen plenty of "deer" in your locale ..... the tiny deer I've seen when coming down out of the mountains in PA and MD (and Jersey was no different, just more open and flatter, with the same greyhound sized "deer") ..... they could probably be neatly dispatched with a 22WMR or a maybe even a pocket .32, if one could get close enough .....
the first time, I was looking for spots on them (a whole herd of fawns?!?!?!) but realized it was the third week in August ........ they were oblivious to traffic blowing by them at 70+mph mere feet away ..... I doubt a hunter rolling up on them in any sort of vehicle would faze them at all .... indeed, a stout .357 load would be more than sufficient, even at the most extreme archery range...... provided one could hit that tiny vital zone from 50 yards......

Living in Western New York, I've never seen a "Eastern Coastal Whitetail deer", so I can't really comment on their size. But in Western NY and PA, with full grown deer generally running between 160 to 180 pounds, I hardly consider them "tiny". While the .357 Magnum will work on deer, it is mediocre at best. I moved on to the .45 Colt which puts them down with authority. Just MHO with 50 years of deer hunting experience. Use what you want.

Don

USSR is correct, deer often DO seek a place to lay down when wounded. Had it happen on a number of occasions myself as things don't always goes as planned in the woods... thats why its called "hunting". I have hunted my entire life with firearms and recurve bows and many of the arrows were launched from a tree stand at a downward angle. That layer of fat and gristle under the hide he mentioned... yeah, it's real, and VERY thick come November and can diminish the penetration of handgun bullets and broadheads. There isn't anything about his story that doesn't sound plausible or genuine to me. That being said, I would prefer my .270 rifle over a .357 Magnum handgun for deer hunting, hands down. My Remington 700 .270 puts any handgun I own to shame with both massive bone smashing power and distance. Fat and gristle wont slow down a .270 bullet.
The same wounded deer shot 2 times in the same day from the same stand? 1st time with a 357 2nd time with a 12 Ga?
Wounded deer will lay down but the wounded animal returning to the place they were shot the 2 times??
Really???

The same wounded deer shot 2 times in the same day from the same stand? 1st time with a 357 2nd time with a 12 Ga?
Wounded deer will lay down but the wounded animal returning to the place they were shot the 2 times??
Really???

I have come to the conclusion that some guys just can't read, or can't comprehend the written word. If you reread my post, I said I was in a tree stand when the wounded deer was shot with the .357, and "on the ground in the same general area, when a deer came limping near me". Limping, as in walking, and same general area as in perhaps 1/4 mile away from my tree stand. Character assassination is so unbecoming of you guys, but perhaps not.

Don

- Don

- Moosemike

Having seen Eastern Coastal Whitetail "deer" , I would concur with you, Mike ...... every situation is different, and I've taken seen plenty of "deer" in your locale ..... the tiny deer I've seen when coming down out of the mountains in PA and MD (and Jersey was no different, just more open and flatter, with the same greyhound sized "deer") ..... they could probably be neatly dispatched with a 22WMR or a maybe even a pocket .32, if one could get close enough .....
the first time, I was looking for spots on them (a whole herd of fawns?!?!?!) but realized it was the third week in August ........ they were oblivious to traffic blowing by them at 70+mph mere feet away ..... I doubt a hunter rolling up on them in any sort of vehicle would faze them at all .... indeed, a stout .357 load would be more than sufficient, even at the most extreme archery range...... provided one could hit that tiny vital zone from 50 yards......
You're really a first class idiot. We shoot 200 pound deer here all the time.

Back