Your most accurate handgun?

My most accurate is a stainless Dan Wesson .357 mag with a 6 inch barrel (one of the replaceable barrel models) that I bought in the late 1980s. I can consistently hit 1 lb coffee cans at 100yds with the open sights. At 25 yards, 6 shot groups are just over an inch.

I find it's absolutly neccisary to envy you! Dan wesson makes a mighty fine revolver. I have had the pleasure of handling one; but never been able to shoot one. The weird cylinder release through me off a bit; but I love the looks and the trigger. Sounds like they are shooters too!

Ruger MKII, stainless steel, that was worked over by Clark Custom Guns, they did a trigger job, reliability package and mounted a red dot sight.

Put the red dot on something and think about hitting it. Bang, it's hit dead center. It is the most amazing gun to shoot, it even out does my S&W model 41.

That reminds me of this guy who let me shoot his silenced, red dot mounted Glock 19. Not sure how you CC that anymore but I was hitting pop cans at 25yrds 100% of the time with it! I think it had some trigger work done too, because I can tell you my G19 has a heavier trigger pull.

Red dots are cool.

Most accurate? Really hard to say since I haven't formally tested them against each other. I'm thinking, though, that it is probably my Colt Officer's Model Match, the one at the top:

However, the Officer's Model Special in the middle is a pretty good shooter, too (factory target):

I had several, all were 1911 style guns I built to compete with.
After I decided to retire from competing I sold all of them to different people.

The gentleman that purchased my switch top gun said he did not think he was going to shoot it, he just wanted to own it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Quote:
My Sig P210 came with a bench test target of 5 shots, 25 meters = 27.3 yards, maximum hole-to-hole separation of 1 inch. My Mauser P08 may be comparable, but I haven't carefully tested it from a rest. My other guns, not nearly as good. I can't get that tight shooting handheld, but that's me, not the gun.

"That's amazing! I have never bench rested a handgun; but I would be interested to know how the Ruger would do. It's no SIG p210 of course but I'm curious."

Are we talking SIG P210 or SIG Sauer P210 here? Real Swiss SIG P210s were shot at 50 meters. Since they are made in Eckernförde, they come with standard 25m targets.

Are we talking SIG P210 or SIG Sauer P210 here? Real Swiss SIG P210s were shot at 50 meters. Since they are made in Eckernförde, they come with standard 25m targets.

Sig Sauer P210 Legend Target made in Germany, and it's 25 meters, same accuracy as the older versions that have the funky magazine release and are apt to hammer-bite.

Sig p229, although my new ruger match champion will likely exceed it once I get a little more used to the wheel gun

Here are some results from some factory / unmodified service and general use handguns.

bhp_15_yards_5_inch.png

Browning_1911_22LR_15_yards_5_inch.png

I have several very accurate handguns, Swiss Hämmerli 208 and 212, Swiss SIG P 210-4 and -6, s&w M14-2, a 1972 Colt Python, a Colt OMM, Walther P88, nine Korths but there is one gun that I have done my most spectcatular shots with; a simple 1952 vintage S&W K-22.

DSCI0059.jpg

Mechanically? No idea. Never cared, honestly. For me personally, it's probably a tie between my USP or GP100s. If I practiced a little bit more, I'm confident I could match them both with my FNX.

I only own one .22 handgun, and that's a 4.2 inch SP101. It has the fiber optic front sight. With a target sight, I could probably tighten groups up a bit.

Rim: Colt Match Target

Center Pistol: 6" Colt Python

If you're talking rifles then there is no way to pick because it changes so drastically based on the range, bullet weight, and conditions. I have several that need a rest to fully appreciate and are more accurate than most shooters, but when one is "best" is impossible to say before knowing the conditions.

most

The one on the top....from Feinwerkbau:
This target...five shots:

or this gun...which will do nearly as well but at five times the distance:

tellin' tales

I recall some years back Wiley Clapp mentioning he'd had a dozen varied GP100s in the Ransom Rest, and they were ALL better than one inch at 25 yds.

His best-ever group (at the time, of any handgun) was .29".

140g Hornady, CCI550, 19.0g H110, Redding Profile Crimp Die.

Back