Your Favorite 44mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks bfj2, I think I'd rather see and preferably shoot at least one before ordering one :)

I'll call around here and see if any shops happen to have one in stock to check out.

Which 44 Mag.

Why that would have to be my S&W 629 8 3/8 ;)
It's the only one I got! :)

As a side note, When I bought my Smith, I could have purchased a New Ruger Redhawk .44 with scope for quite a bit less money than what I paid for the Smith. Trouble was the Redhawk just didn't seem to fit my hand that well. so since I really wanted a Smith that's what I have. ;)

Super Blackhawk. Long or short barrel, doesn't really matter.

I tried a Bisley-Vaquero a couple weeks ago, but I hate the bisley grip. Not enough space for my big hands to fit. Feels good just to hold, but not that comfortable to shoot.

Ruger Question

What is the shortest barrel that I can get on the 44mag Redhawk or Blackhawk? Also, what makes the Redhawk or Blackhawk super?

John

The super Redhawk is a total different gun than the Redhawk, much more stout.

The Super blackhawk is basically the same as the blackhawk. The grip is steel(blue or stainless) and the cylinder is unfluted(except 5.5" bbl model)

THe Super Blackhawk can be had in 4 5/8", 5 1/2", 7 1/2" and 10"

The Super Redhawk comes in 7 1/2" and 9" IIRC

BUT the standard Redhawk can be had in .44mag with a 5" or 5 1/2" tube. ( my brain fails me as to which) This makes a nice packing gun.

My favorite is this:
P1010002.JPG

I'm a handgun hunter now on 44 Mag number 4.
The current one, a stainless Ruger Super Redhawk, 10 in, with a 2x scope, is the only one that I've felt comfortable shooting full power loads with.
I have small hands, and the previous 44 mags, a Virginia Dragoon ($90, used, probably the same as the Arminius), a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2 in., and an S&W 629-1, 8 3/8 in. tended to beat me up. The Smith was the best of them, and the Blackhawk the worst. Once it actually burst open a finger! Aftermarket grips and a filler behind the square trigger guard just made reaching the trigger more difficult. I had to use reloads, 225 grs at no more than 1100 fps., to survive it.
The Redhawk is great! Accurate, reliable, not as smooth or well finished as the Smith but good enough. The grip fits perfectly and the recoil is taken up by my whole hand, not just the web.
I guess the moral of this story is try it before you buy it, and keep trying!

Note the square trigger guard in my pic, the one that may be painfull to some. The first time I shot the gun it did bruise my weak had index finger(after 60 full house loads).

I have since moved my finger down a little and have no trouble, that's just me though.

You could get the Super Blackhawk Hunter, with 7.5" Ribbed Barrel and ROUND trigger guard.

What's in a name?

My $125 Arminius Hombre SA Cowboy style 44 magnum. Semi-reliable and a hoot to shoot!

Arminius... This sounds more like a violin manufacturer than a gunmaker :) However, a "Hombre" now that's a good name for a big bore revolver. As in "A'm gonna whip out ma' Hombre and teach you a lesson..."

Couple of other good names would be a "Caballero" or a "Caramba!". A Taurus "Caramba!" in .50 Linebaugh or a Ruger "Caballero" in .480 Ruger, now that would sell. :D

My next 44mag

I think I will be getting a SS 5'1/2" barrel Redhawk or the SS 5'1/2" barrel Super Blackhawk. Which one I get will depend on price and what the shop has in stock.

44mag snubbie

What is the best or closest 44mag snubbie that you have. My 3" 629-5 S&W is the closest that I have. I only have one thing to say about this gun: SWEET.

Mine would be my 9.5" SRH.

Not the most easily packed, but offhand shooting equals 6" groups at 100 yards most times. And my primary purpose for this gun is knocking big holes through big critters at that distance or a little greater. (Cause if I piss said critter off, I want a BIG headstart.:D )

I'm not looney enough to try archery on bears yet, though.;)

7.5 inch glossy stainless Vaquero with Ivorex grips. Gotta have a cowboy gun right? Cool to have one that is big game legal.. should I need it.

I like the SBH Hunter.. but using it with a scope is a pain.

Tamara, we knew that was coming.

But weren't you a little slow on the draw this time?

Hey, at least I took a snappy new photo instead of the old scan I've used a zillion times. :D

My FAVORITE .44 Magnum??? That's EASY...it's my EARLY six-inch Model 629...no "dash", P&R'ed, NEAT gun...or, wait...maybe my ORIGINAL Model 629 "Classic Hunter" from around 1988 or so...the FIRST of S&W's "Full-lugged" .44's...or maybe it's the NIB four-inch 629-4 I just picked up from the PRK...it's a SHAME that it's not on their "approved" list...well, it'll be a 'Smith, anyway....mikey357

That depends on what I am going to be doing with it. My favorite packing gun that I carry everywhere in the woods/mountains is a 4 5/8 in SBH. It has had a trigger job, oversize Pac grips and shoots very nice. If I am going hunting, I carry either my SRH or SBH with 7 1/2 in bbl. The SRH has a 2x Leupold on it.

I don't have a favorite .44 Mag.

I've never really found anything in the caliber to attract me, ergo I really have no interest in getting one.

I do, however, like my .41 Mag., S&W Mode 58, very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back