Your favorite 3 rifles.

favorites

This is a fun topic and gives insight into forum members.

I really had to think about this question.

My first center-fire rifle was/is a Remington model 600 in .222 Remington that still remains a 100yd tack driver.

An 8mm German WW II 98k Mauser that I rebuilt at age 15 converting it to a 6mm benchrest competitor with a 26-inch Federal barrel is one of my favorites.

The last of the three has to be my multi-barrel T/C Contender (early version) especially the 7 x 30 Waters 22-inch barrel that I have taken numerous game with. Another very accurate combination.
:rolleyes:

I hate these "what's your favorite..." threads because they are all my favorites or I wouldn't own them.

Sigh...oh well...I'll give it a try...

Mauser 98. Say it and you've pretty much summed up my feelings about bolt action rifles. The one pictured embodies most of my favorite features. A small ring 98 for a trim, lightweight rifle. The full length stock oozes panache. Same with the double set triggers and square bridge action. The caliber is, of course, the 7x57 which may be the best designed sporting rifle cartridge ever produced. There simply isn't anything about this rifle that I can criticize.

standard.jpg

I think the Ruger #1 models with the small fore-end may be the most beautiful rifles ever made. I have several. Here's a representative example.

standard.jpg

My favorite military style semi-auto. So elegant and stylish it's hard to believe the design dates to 1954. Very futuristic. Feels better in my hands than the AR 15 or HK 91 (I own both). This rifle is just plain fun to shoot.

standard.jpg

There. I picked three. I don't feel good about myself but I did it.

Cooper Mdls 56 and 22
Weatherby MKV Deluxe
Sako Finnbear

All very high quality all solid from end to end all extremely accurate.

Compared to some, my rifles may seem pretty boring.

1- Interarms Mk X Mauser 98 7X57
2- Interarms Mk X Mini-Mauser in 223
3- Remington 541T 22LR

Not as exciting as I would hope for, but they are favorites because they perform when I need them to.

Of course, I have several up and coming faves: my M98 in 444 Marlin, my Winchester 1894 in 30WCF, my 93 Mauser in 7.62X39, my AR-15, my Remington Model 7 223 bench gun, my Savage 1899 in 22 High Power, 25-35, 30-30 and .410 . . . :rolleyes: should I keep going?

That I want:
Model 71 Winchester (348 Win)
Model 64 Deer Rifle (don't care)
Model 81 Remington (35 Rem)
That I have:
Mossberg 810 30-06 (My Dad's favorite)
Marlin 39A
Marlin 36 ADL (30-30)

Ok so I'll play also but with A bit of a caveat, I had to sell off over half my collection a year and a half ago.

So my boomer was the Sako TRG-42 in 338LM with a break. Love and miss that gun.

The number 2 is the Tikka T3 tactical in 308 which is always my go to rifle and when I rifle hunt that is my preferred hunting rifle.

The number three that seems to just be taken out to look at these days is the LaRue PredarAR.

My boomer that an 11yr old girl has comfortably shot (almost no recoil due to custom brake and weight): EDM Arms Windrunner in .50BMG.

Most shot centerfire rifle: 'Sweetie', my older Marlin 1894 in 25-20WCF. So much fun to shoot I had to buy a Hornady AP press to keep her fed.

Third place would be a tie between my repro 1874 Sharps Creedmoor in 45-70 and my heavily modified 10-22 (only stock part is the '78 receiver).

Tough to pick just three...

My Remington 600 carbine in .308 Winchester. My first deer rifle, and a gift from my father.

My rack grade M1A. semi auto version of what the Army taught me to work on. Fits me well, and shoots better than I do. My favorite centerfire semi auto, overall.

My Ruger No.3 in .45-70. Just old school neat to shoot.

1. 1951 Winchester Model 43 in .22 Hornet

2. 275 Rigby [7x57] custom on a 1903A3 action Douglas Bbl.

3. 1946 Marlin 39A

In that order.

Last edited:
1. M1917 Winchester-my first rifle
2. Winchester M-69. My first 22 rifle.
3. SIG SHR 970-my "all round" rifle.

thats a tough one...

Remington 700 adl .222 rem
Winchester model 61 22 mag
Savage model 11 .223 rem barrel cut down to 17 inches.

Ruger 77 Hawkeye Stainless/laminated stock/ 3-9x50 leupold scope 243
Ruger 77 Hawkeye Boyds thumbhole stock/ 4-12x44 Leupold scope 7-08
Tikka T3 lite Boyds thumbhole stock 6-18x44 Nikon Buckmaster scope. 223

all 3 1moa shooters and the T3 is usually 1/2moa if I do my part.

Back