"Yippy dogs"

I think that a staffy bull is the way to go, you might also like a scotty or an irish terrier--those two would be less likely to be able to cash the checks they write with their mouths, though. If all you want is a barker, then any territorial dog will do--If you want a biter, then you need something a little more game. Staffies are great with kids, most are tolerant with cats they are raised with, loving of family and will defend you to their death. They are also frequently dog and small animal aggressive, so you need to train them. I'd avoid the pit, as many would kill your cat as soon as look at it once they matured. Rat terriers are good, as are patterdale terriers--I don't know if they would do anything, though.

AK

Attachments

• saber.jpg
    saber.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I'll third the vote for a Dachshund. They will bark at unusual noises, visitors, etc. but generally are not "barky" dogs that go on day and night. Plus they are very protective and fearless for their size. To top it off they are cute and make great conversation pieces! Smart, too.....

I used to have a Sheltie, and that should also be a consideration. Think of Lassie in a small package. The only hassles are that they are a pain to groom and they are pretty active and need exercise. They do get along well with cats, mine did. Extremely intelligent, easy to train and well behaved, they like to herd things (they are sheepdogs, after all). They aren't intimidating, but you aren't going to sneak in on one, either.

http://puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/shetland.htm

Watch dogs

I've had big to 110 lb. and small to 5 lb. My favorite of them all for a variety of reasons was a Border Collie at about 30 lb. After that I'd say the rat terriers (2) I have right now. One at 16 lb., one at 18lb. Alert, low growl increasing to bark then to yapping as things get closer. I would think any terrier would work. Cairn, Fox, Kerry, Jack Russell are really all small hunting dogs and will bite. They were trained to go after rats, weasel, badger, fox and other somewhat nasty creatures and if they haven't been bred to total lap dog configuration should do well. Often the name tells you what they were bred to hunt. Cairn terriers for instance went into rock piles (cairns) after rats and weasels in farm fields.

Yappy Dogs

The thought of a small yappy dog makes me cringe. I say get whatever you like, but take the noise level into account. Also, if you have a large yard, then the dog's size shouldn't be an issue. For me, nothing beats my pitibull. He's smart, alert, & not vocal at all. He barks once or twice when anyone comes to the door, but that's all. His hair is short, meaning minimal cleanup. Besides, just the sight of this dog is adequate protection for my home.

IG

akc

The akc is just a registry, this means that they sell numbers and if you buy one that you are promising that the parents of the dog you are registering are really the dogs you say they are (also registered with akc.) There are alot of registries. Most good dogs will be from registered parents because in order to consistently get good dogs, you have to keep track of which dogs you are breeding to which and how they are related to other dogs. A breeder who cares about producing good dogs will register them with *somebody.* By restricting yourself to breeders that health screen their dogs, you are pretty much going to have to get a purebred dog. Not all good breeds are recognized by the AKC and some are lumped together with other breeds by the AKC. This said, most AKC dogs, nay, most dogs period are worthless for serious work. Basically, the fact that a dog is registered with AKC or any other registry means *nothing* as far as a guarantee of quality--although having a dog that *isn't* registered puts the odds *way* to the other side, ie., suck.

AK
PS; How is it in Eugene, we are considering relocating there ina couple of years, after we get back from Japan.

Last edited:
Chris, Thanks for the idea of the clippers. I was thinking of that. From what I've read, with each persons practicular schipperke, they know when the dog is going to "blow" and give them baths outside and then force dry them which removes the hair.

And yes, I remember boot, and the loss of hair :eek: .

HKMP5: You just had to post that pic didn't you.... everytime I come to respond I have to stop and view the pic, you're right, that is one cute pup :).

Okay, right now I'm down to a:

1. Schipperke
2. Mini-Dashhound
3. Terrier (that is not like my sisters)

I'm still reading on the other suggestions. The main thing that I have to ensure is that the breed gets along with cats. The shilte is the one that I'm researching now.

Thanks again.

Wayne

What's your sister's dog like/breed? I had a Jack Russell for 7 years (she had to go to camp grandma as she bullied my 90 pound American Bulldog so mercilessly that he finally nearly killed her.) She was a good dog for hiking and very alert around the house. If you get one, get a broken coated one, as the smooth coats shed year round. She was good with cats, as most of them had at least 5 pounds on her. Hell on squirrels and other rodents. If I were to recommend one for you, I'd get as large a male as you can find--probably in the low 20's weight wise as an adult.

AK

USP45usp,

i mentioned that my parents have a Schipperke.

let me also mention that my sister has both a miniature long-haired dachshund and a rat terrier.

the dachshund is a sweetheart. barks at the right time. not sure she would make much in the way of attack. loves to sit in your lap. also very independent.

the rat terrier i think has ADD or something, and it does NOT get along well with other animals, my mom's Schipperke in particular.

in fact, the terrier does not get to stay at my folks house over christmas because she doesn't play well with others. she stays at the brother-in-laws and does just fine over there (no other animals).

the terrier, she is a sweet dog when she is the center of attention, and man can she jump! she also barks, nothing will get within earshot without notification. and i have no doubts that she would attack in the right situation.

one last anecdote. the night of my sisters wedding, the terrier escaped and we spent SEVERAL hours trying to catch her. let me tell you that she runs about twice as fast as the fastest human and three times as fast as me!

just some of my personal experience. YMMV

Read thru the posts and most are at least partly correct, some of the time. I have dealt with at least a few hundred (in some cases a few thousand) of each breed suggested, and they are all good - individually. I have also seen bad examples of every one of these breeds; ie, serious physical and/or mental problems that usually resulted in there euthanasia. I know I sound like a broken record, but I would encourage you to take a trip to wherever is the closest good sized animal shelter where there is a healthy adoption program going on. Try to stick with young, adult dogs. Almost any dog will bark at strangers once they realize that this is their home (ie, territory). As for getting along with cats, well, if I can train my pitpull, rescued from a fighting ring and thinking of cats as something to eat, then I believe any dog can be so trained. In my case, I just restrained him until he stopped trying to go after any cat he might see on our walks, then I'd give him the treat. It wasn't long before he was pointing out cats I hadn't even seen so he could get more treats. By the way, don't rule out pitbulls either, they come in all sizes from twenty-something pounds up to over 130 lbs. There is no such thing as a "small" pitbull - just more compact. Whatever you do, take your time. Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any help.
By the way: I hope you got my reply to your message. I'm never to sure email-type stuff goes anywhere but into the ozone.
Dr Max

AK: First, thanks for the explaination of AKC registered. I always just thought it was a way for a breeder to justify some of their prices :eek: . As for Eugene, It's 51/49 (liberal Vs conservative;moderate). If the college wasn't here then I have no doubt that Eugene would have been at least a red county (even moreso of a libertarian color). I wouldn't live in Eugene proper, take a look at Springfield, OR (right next to Eugene). Especialy when it comes to taxes. If you wish more information you can PM me and I'll try to give you all the personal experience that I have here).

Irongeek: The reason for the smallness of the dog isn't because the yard isn't big enough, but the house. Even a medium sized dog (which is what my sister had (small to medium)) got cramped and I want something that will be more of a house dog (day and night) and then have the mornings and the evenings to go out and play (all day if it wants on the weekends). Also, I don't know how a pit will react with my cat. I love the cat dearly (she's been with me for over 12 years) and I couldn't bring in anything that would not be tolerate of the cat.

Dr. Max: I know that just because you pay for papers doesn't mean that you won't get the lemon :). I can't go to the pound because I don't qualify to be able to adopt a dog/cat. I tried that a couple of months ago and filled out an extensive questionaire. I answer and gave back and while it was being "graded" I went to the back to look at the dogs. I did find one (forget the breed, it wasn't a mutt) that was on "death row". I picked him out and we got along and he and I were happy. Until I went back up front and was informed that I couldn't adopt. I asked why. The answer YOU ARE A SINGLE MALE. Yup, because I was a single male. They were concerned that I was going to abuse the dog since I didn't have a wife or children in which to be able to discuss issues :mad: . I went back a couple of weeks ago and was informed that I was on the "no adopt list".

Oh, and the dog that I wanted, they killed it two days later :mad: :barf:

Wayne

edited for Dr. Max: Yes, I did get your PM and thanks :).

Last edited:
I have to put my vote in for Scotties. I have three now, and have had many more over the years.
Their teeth are as large as a German Shephard's, and their jaw strength is as strong. My laddie weights in at about 28 pounds, is very fast, and very aggressive. He has run down and killed squirrel, rabbit, possum, and two coons.
The Scotties rank right up there as watch dogs. Their bark is deep, and they will certainly defend your home.

Shelties and Cats:

Been there, done that. I had 3 cats along with the Sheltie, no problem. If the puppy is raised with cats, they get along fine. If the cat(s) doesn't like dogs, however, there may still be a problem, but that problem would be with the cat(s) and would not be any different with whatever breed of dog you get.

Dachshund!

Easy to maintain, doesn't shed, easy to confine due to their short legs, a bark that sounds like ti's coming from a much bigger dog, and a natural alertness and confidence. Dachsies are very territorial and protective, yet they accept strangers without problems once they've been "cleared".

We have four, and they are an excellent alarm system and door-to-door-salesman deterrent. They're like little Dobermans with short legs.

"After having several dogs, I find vocal dogs to be very...VERY annoying. Some will bark at completely normal things such as people walking by on the sidewalk, other dogs etc. Others just won't shut up after the initial irritant.

Rather, I like the silent intelligent type. You're sitting at home watching TV, and suddenly their ears will perk and usually stare at the source of the sound or give a couple low whufs or bark once. My German shepherd would do that, but he was WAY too big for my little townhouse."

a basenji fits that bill quite nicely, they do not bark EVER, though they are definately not mute, they keep themselves clean like a cat,shed little and are keenly alert, plus they are very wary of strangers, and they can defend thier turf if need be.

I'm on my second Westie (West Highland Terrier). My pup is almost 10 months and when she senses anything outside she low growels and woofs. My first Westie wasn't a yapper, neither is my pup. If a noise becomes intense she will BARK! Not Yap! When she wants to go out she talks.

She is scary intelligent, very fast, and has an unusally strong neck and jaw, a good watch dog and a great companion. An adult female Westie will weigh about 15Lbs, give or take a few.

And, Oh yeah, if you have never been owned by a Westie or other terrier, good luck! You will have your hands full until you pick up on it.

For the breeds that everyone has mentioned, where did you find your companions? Breeders, pet stores, pound? If I find a breeder out of state and it's clear across the US, how is the best way to get it to your state (I'm scour my state first)?

I'll tell you the truth, right now I'm really interested in the Schippeke and the Mini-Dachshund, with the mini-Doberman, the Sheltie, and then the Terriers.

AK asked me what type of terrier that my sister has (had, she abandoned it and my uncle took it) and I'm not really sure. She does catch mice but not sure if she is a rat-terrier because she is medium haired, not short. She may have a mix in her and whatever that mix is, she got the short end of the stick on intelligence. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike her and she'd be a great family pet dog but she's just not my cup of tea :(.

HKmp5: How many hits you got on that pic now... at least 20 of them are mine :D. Also, I remember an aunt or a family member (long ago) that had a Dachshund and if I remember right, it was very protective of her.

Wayne

What *I'd* do to get a dog: (keep in mind that I'm a dog person and kind of obsessive about it.)
1 I'd decide what I want from the dog.
2 pick the breed that closest approximates my needs
3 find the *best* breeder of that breed for my desired use
4 get to know the breeder and If I thought they could help me, make a deposit.
5 wait for my pup

A breeder you can go see is a definite plus, but as I live pretty remotely in Alaska right now, I'm outta luck as far as that goes. It's important to have trust in your breeder as if something goes wrong, you need to know that they will be there for you. For instance, I'm considering a newfoundland as my next dog, maybe 5 years away--The breeder I really like is in Oregon--If I can get a dog from them, I will, regardless of where I happen to be at the time. It's common for breeders to ship pups, it typically adds a couple of hundred bucks to the price of the dog for shipping and crate costs. Sorry to hear about that bs at the shelter--that attitude really pisses me off--the arrogance to assume that the dog would be better off dead than in a home that they 'wouldn't approve of.' It's the same bs that makes some animal shelters decide to put down all pits rather than try to find them homes. Freaking ridiculous. As far as Eugene goes, I used to consider myself pretty liberal, but I'm not so sure I qualify anymore--at least as far as most liberals would consider. I guess I'm just "pro-rights" on pretty much everything. ;)

AK

Back