Yikes. Is .308 recoil a surprise for all rifle noobs? (or just me?)

2cm? Yep, your head was up there moving around like a you were a bobble-head doll.....
How do you steady a bobble-head? Use one of those U shaped inflatable neck pillows they sell for use on airplanes. Let's try that.....

Wow, this works much better than cheek pads. Inflate to the level you want and rest it on the stock. I found about half inflated was just right; nice and comfy and lots of support. Inflates in 2 minutes and useful for taking naps also.

I'll have to try this next time I go shooting.

Gary

Use one of those U shaped inflatable neck pillows they sell for use on airplanes. Let's try that.....

Not much use in any practical situation ....... Brownells has several different solutions to comb height issues, which leave nothing to futz with each time you mount the gun.

Ruger Laminate Compact. 16.5" Sporter, under 6lb rifle, terrible buttpad. You think your rifle kicks, this was insane compared to the other ones. My solution was a VAIS muzzle brake! I can't say enough good things about VAIS. Their claims are TRUE. The brake not only reduces recoil by 40-50%, THERE IS NO INCREASE IN SOUND, which no other brake that I know can claim. I barely noticed the recoil after getting the VAIS muzzle brake.

All this talking and I think your the only one to mention a muzzle brake. I'll +2 that.

I also have a Ruger Compact in a .243. I'll agree, it bucks like a mule!

Thanks chuckn

All this talking and I think your the only one to mention a muzzle brake. I'll +2 that.

I also have a Ruger Compact in a .243. I'll agree, it bucks like a mule!

Thanks chuck, I couldn't believe it wasn't brought up before either ;) and really is the best option. Try a VAIS brake on your .243, won't believe the difference it makes.

When you add a muzzle brake, make sure you wearing top-quality ear protection forever after when shooting it. Depending on how enclosed is the area in which you are shooting, the increase in blast noise can be enormous. My 40-years' shooting buddy came by on Sunday for a visit. I noticed that he had Kleenex stuffed in his ears for the tinnitus he got from shooting a mulie in a box canyon with a .300 Weatherby and a KDF brake. That was about 15 years ago.

Blast noise is the same only redirected up and to the sides instead of out front.

Hearing protection should be worn even without muzzle break.

Blast noise is the same only redirected up and to the sides instead of out front.

Hearing protection should be worn even without muzzle break.

I agree on the use of hearing protection, but what was being said is that due to the direction of the muzzle blast being redirected closer to the shooter, there will be an increase in sound level.

*most muzzle brakes*

Last edited:
Not with the VAIS

VAIS should be paying me to advertise ;) Not all muzzle brakes are the same and that is why I keep directing people to the VAIS, it does NOT increase the sound like other brakes. Like the others said, you should be wearing hearing protection regardless, but with the VAIS, there is no increase in sound (if there was I couldn't tell), just like they claim. Well worth it and takes care of the recoil problem.

Muscle handles recoil far better than scrawny dude's skin & bones,
and far better than fat...

Moral of the story??

BULK UP!!

Lift heavy weights!!
Crush your enemies!!
and Give Big Hickey's to all the Fair Damsels!!

cactus.jpg

If you haven't seen the movie, its basically Coyote/Roadrunner in human form, and funny as heck!!

no matter what you attach, or how you customize ; shoot more first.

you will get used to it, and if you dont, your shoulder will all on its own.

I typically leave a rifle unloaded for beginners , and instruct them it's ready to fire. When they squeeze off it's unreal how many people jump...

If you squeeze as gently as you should, youll never see it coming and will fight off the wretched flinch.

Be sure not to lean too low and be shooting off the collar. That will give the impression of a huge recoil and leave your shoulder muscles sore, when in reality its the collar effected.

You can always sendoff a few dozen 00bucks downrange a few days a week, and when you go back to your .308 you'll be rocked and ready

Make sure the stock is in that natural 'pocket' formed when the upper arm is about parallel w/ the ground ie-on the shoulder-not the ARM.

Put the stock on the biceps and you will be sore-no question.

Amazing! What is the weight of your 308? I'm guessing under 9lbs with the scope.

First, let's get some scope here so you know why people are abusing you. 223 level is basically no felt recoil in and average rifle. 243 Win can be felt. 308 is moderately firm. 300 mag in a hunting weight rifle is definately firm. Heavy recoil starts at like 375 H&H and it would be memorable, but this is also the caliber women and irregular shooters are asked to bring to Africa. 458 Lott, my dream rifle, has recoil. 5 rounds from a bench is likely unbearable, but from shooting positions would likely just be considered "HEAVY." 505 Gibbs, 600 Overkill, 470 NE, 577 NE are all "HEAVY!" I want one so bad!

TECHNIQUE:
Personally, I would bet this is 90% of your issue. First, get the rifle solidly on your shoulder and off your arm.
BenchRestPositions1.jpg

See how the line from shoulder to shoulder is nearly perpendicular. to the bore axis. That is the key. It allows the recoil to travel down the strong muscles of your back. Holding it back into your shoulder with your trigger hand with about 5 lbs of pressure helps also.

WEIGHT:
A 308 should be comfortable in a 9lb rifle including scope. More weight makes recoil feel like less. In a 15 lb rifle, you will feel little.

LOAD:
Lighter bullets and lower velocities recoil less. Those combined with weight are the primary physical things which affect rifle recoil.

STOCK DESIGN:
A straighter stock profile putting the action just above the shoulder line will provide the best recoil transfer and reduced recoil. Adding a good recoil pad helps. Many rifles, especially in 308 or lesser calibers come with a rather thin rubber pad. A ~1" pad or larger can be a big help. Also, some rifles have a lot of drop(barrel centerline above shoulder) This can really add to the recoil feeling.

SCOPE POSITION AND EYE RELIEF:
Sounds weird but, I don't trust scopes. If my rifles stock makes me likely to scrunch up around the eyepiece, I hate it. If my scopes eye relief does the same, I basically fear the recoil more that the recoil itself. There is nothing like taking a scope in the ey to make you hate recoil. Scopes with 3.5" or more eye relief are key. Then get the technique and stock adjustments so you are likely to fall into your comfort spot quickly and easily at the bench, prone, etc.

So, take it easy and really play around until you find a way to shoot this thing. I wouldn't mess with extra recoil pads, shooting jackets, etc at this point, but who am I to say!

So, take it easy and really play around until you find a way to shoot this thing.

Thanks for the breakdown. I agree that it is likely to be technique, coupled with inexperience in what to expect.

The first time I shot it, was the first time I had shot a centrefire rifle. My sight height was wrong (as I now understand), I was shooting from a bench rest because my barrel control is so bad at the moment and the stock had a granite shoulder plate.

All those factors added up to my first .308 experience being stouter than it might have been. Having said that, a .308 is a powerful round in its own right, despite some of the manly-man-man remarks. It may not come high in the recoil league tables, but that doesn't mean it has none!!
Besides... I have muscles! It's just that a fair proportion have migrated to my waist....:o

I have since replaced that shoulder plate with a rubber recoil pad, I have moved to a more upright seated position, and replaced the scope with a model of greater eye-relief. I now only need to address the sight height issue.

Already the recoil is more of a shove than a punch.

I will soon make a stock block to raise my cheek, up to the level of the scope and I will try and visualise my shoulder position to match your suggestions, so thanks again!
:)

Recoil and the .308 do not exist together! It just doesn't happen except in the head of one who fears the rifle ... period!

OK.

Get a light-weight single shot .308.

Put the buttplate against the tip of your nose.... you can guess the next step.

....let me know if the results match your assertions. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: ...and no, I don't actually advocate this as a test of recoil.

Back