Yikes. Is .308 recoil a surprise for all rifle noobs? (or just me?)

To the OP:

One of the basics in rifle shooting is to keep the rifle firm into your shoulder. Where you place the rifle stock is also critical. Are you placing it into the pocket of the shoulder?

Another factor in recoil control is a good cheek weld to the stock.

Finally, prhaps the very best thing you can do about recoil is to install and properly use a 2 piece leather military sling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmemFfZO-E0&feature=related

The link above shows the proper assembly for the 2 piece sling.

This next one shows installation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJwf0iyJE4&feature=related

And here is an excellent instruction video concerning the use of the sling.

If you want to cut to the sling instruction itself, start at about 3:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsUaujfiB8&feature=related

I guarantee that the proper use of this sling to bring that rifle tight into the shoulder will almost completely eliminate your recoil problem.

Try Remington managed recoil rounds. These 308 rounds have 125 gr core-lockt bullets, and will have recoil on par with a 30-30. If you're after deer at <200 yards, you are good to go-plenty of power for that. Your 308 rifle leaves you the option of heavier recoiling 165gr or 180gr rounds for longer range and/or larger game someday, but if that is not your object now, try starting out easy.

As some others have said,a quality recoil pad would be the first change that should be made to the rifle.
It also should be fit to suit you-LOP.
Some factory stock designs just SUCK!,and no matter what caliber the weapon is,it will punish the shooter.

If you want to be able to shoot the rifle comfortably,and enjoy it,then get it fit to you.It will be worth any extra expense that you put into it.

I have 2 308 caliber rifles,both are heavy barreled Savage's,a 10FCP and 12FLV.
The factory tuperware stock on the 12FLV would punish the shooter after only 3-4 rounds,even with the thick cushy recoil pad that came on it.
Factory stock-
006.jpg

New stock-
020-2.jpg

I purchased this rifle used,but it probably didn't have a box of shells shot out of it,because of the way it recoiled.I shoot a lot of 308-30/06-300WM rounds each month,and this rifle by far was a shoulder killer.
By a simple stock change,this rifle has a completely different feel,and I have no problem sending 100-200rds down range with it any day.

Shooting off a bench will also make the felt recoil worse if you are not properly set up at the bench with the rifle also.

I bought some recoil absorbtion material. They have the consistentcy of that gel wrist pad you get with come computer mouse mats. However, they are much thinner.

I have cut 3 to size giving me a half-inch rubber surface, glued to a thin ply base. The mounting screws are recessed against that ply base so that they won't press into my shoulder when firing. That should help a lot and overall the stock length has only increased my about a quarter of an inch.

I'll get some more cartridges and get back to the range this week or next...

For a lengthy bench rest session, I'll commonly place a small sandbag between the butt pad and my shoulder. Adds about a pound of weight to the rifle, and spreads the impact across a wider area.

A quality butt pad makes a big difference. Remington, for instance, did a good job on the 700 Ti. Mine, in 7mm08, is only 6.5 pounds with scope, sling and ammo--yet the recoil at the bench is no big deal.

Well, I bought 20 rounds of .308 this afternoon and I have 90 mins booked at the range.

An hour on the rifle, and another 30 mins at the short range course to see how my .44 crimps are doing!!

Between the butt-plate replacement and some shoulder padding I should not be distracted from my shooting the way I was last time.

Nice way to start the weekend.

James,

Considering the 308 matches the capability of a 30-06 Cartridge, yes its a pretty good kick. 30-06 needed the case capacity because of the lower capability powders (you could go fast, you just needed a lot of it). Modern powders allow a shorter case and equal capability.

Butt pads are your friend, if you shoot a lot then something along the lines of the modern recoil pads are the way to go (limb saver is sort of the generic but there are a lot of equal types out there that tune to your needs so research is needed)

I have shot three guns that are far worse than a 308, two rifles and a shot gun.

After years of layoff, I took my 3 inch 12 gauge magnum out to see if it still ran before I tried to sell it. Not sure how I survived it, but I was 20 years younger when I hunted with it. Phew (and it has a butt pad!). 3 was all I was up to.. .

Ditto with the 7mm Rem Magnum. That one is brutal. 10 shots and you are out (sans a limb saver of the like which my brother has and it entended his 7mm hunting another 10 years)

Oddly the 375 H&H was less lethal. Couple aspect, it builds pressure slower and it was a fairly heavy gun (again with butt pad but not a modern one). Harder then a 30-06 but not nearly as brutal as a 7mm.

You can also shoot reduced loads. We are shooting various 19-03s and using a 150 gr load with pretty low speeds in the 2400 range. Helps a lot as the guns are military restorer (or originals) and not butt pads are not part of a military stock (a good reason to get young recruits!).

So far have not needed to resort to a shoulder protector. Harder to shoot right with one of those I think. There are slip on limb saver types as well. Can use and then take off as desired and not a bad way to go.

Give me another 5 years and I may change my mind about the shoulder pad!

Good luck, have fun, look into reloading as that's the only way to get reduced (maybe regulations do not allow in your neck of the woods).

I've never found that extra padding while at the bench has caused any difficulty for sub-MOA groups. Length of pull isn't as critical there as it is when hunting.

If it hurts, it is only because you are thinking about it too much. I have found that when shooting paper the recoil is much more than when shooting the same gun at a deer. Try not thinking about it and concentrate on your target and you should notice a difference.

Technique & Other Options - VAIS Muzzle Brake

As Discern brought up, proper positioning (technique) is crucial, to which I believe you said you were using. My experiences (all .308):

1. Savage 10FP. 24" Heavy barrel, slightly heavier rifle, lower felt recoil. Very manageable. Shot better than .5 MOA with my handloads. :D
  2. Remington 700 SPS Tactical. Heavy 20" barrel, felt a little more recoil but still not too bad. Shot .5 MOA with my handloads.
  3. Savage Precision Carbine. 20" Tapered heavy barrel, still lighter weight rifle but not bad for recoil. Still working on the loads :rolleyes:
  4. Ruger Laminate Compact. 16.5" Sporter, under 6lb rifle, terrible buttpad. You think your rifle kicks, this was insane compared to the other ones. My solution was a VAIS muzzle brake! I can't say enough good things about VAIS. Their claims are TRUE. The brake not only reduces recoil by 40-50%, THERE IS NO INCREASE IN SOUND, which no other brake that I know can claim. I barely noticed the recoil after getting the VAIS muzzle brake.

Again, I would go with only a VAIS muzzle brake from now one. They are a little more expensive but the benefit of no sound increase is not only great for the range but for hunting too (guides don't like the excessive sound/blast from muzzle brakes).

Also, when your shoulder hurts...STOP SHOOTING! I learned this the hard way from the Ruger until getting the VAIS brake (which was my previous hunting setup). No point in fearing to shoot your rifle from pain and a flinch. I could barely get out 20 rounds before the VAIS brake and after, 20 was nothing.

No matter what rifle, I found my tolerance to be between 20-50 rounds. No point after that or when you start feeling sore.

If your only shooting at the range, why not go with a more dedicated range rifle? Either a heavier tactical or bench type rifle? You won't notice the recoil as much with a 10-12lb rifle (now that same rifle with a VAIS brake will shoot like a .22 :D )

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/

Last edited:
I went again yesterday.

I made a couple of changes. Namely, I was shooting whilst kneeling, with the barrel resting on a rack, and I had the new recoil pad.

On the whole, the gun was far more comfortable. There is a "shove" to it, but not the kick I had experienced before. That hard plastic standard butt-plate is just an unecessary evil in the world!!

I managed to zero the scope in 3 shots!! However, my Burris has a problem with one of the turret dials, so I may need to do it again at a later date...

At least I know it is easy enough to do!!

On the plus, despite my shaky aim, 1 MOA accuracy seems quite possible!!
:D

James, you shouldn't allow the barrel to be in contact with anything when sighting in, or when hunting as it will throw off the harmonics and your "zero" will not be an actual zero when you get into the field. It is best to rest the forend of the gun on a support. But regardless, great shooting, and I'm glad the gun isn't punishing you as bad as it previously had! Keep shooting and keep enjoying it :)

Sent from my HTC One X

Another issue might be the stock's length of pull. A too long stock will beat you up much worse. I have a Mossberg 590A1, that with the OEM syn furniture was both too light & the stock too long. Beat the bajeebus outta me.

Bought some NOS wood furniture for the extra weight (& look). My SKS fits me like a glove (I'm built like a gorilla at 5'7" & 46" chest), so I measured its LoP & cut the Mossy stock down to that length & added a LimbSaver pad.

Huge difference. Much more comfortable to shoot.

I'd be hesitant to hack up a CZ stock in my garage, but if the stock's too long, you might look into having a good 'smith cut the stock down & fit a good pad.

James, there are many factors in recoil, both actual and percieved..... and one of the most overlooked is stock fit in relation to sight/scope height. With the large objective scopes popular these days, the sight height is often far too tall for the stock (particularly on guns that have or had iron sights) to get a good "cheek to stock weld" and still look through the center of the scope ...... the shooter must raise his cheek up off the stock to get a good sight picture. Then when the rifle moves rearward in recoil, the shooter's head does not move back with the rifle as a unit, but is momentarily motionless, and then yanked back (and down) by the shooters neck (think "whiplash") ......

Proper equipment and technique will prevent all that.

To check your sight height, mount the gun to your shoulder with your eyes closedand make sure your cheek is firmly in contact with the stock. Then open your eyes. Can you see the whole field of view in your scope?

There are comb raising kits out there to bring your eye up to the right height while maintaining contact with the stock, as well as providing a bit of padding. I use this one on one of my rifles: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42171/Product/COMB-RAISING-KITS

I have found that a properly used military style sling helps tie everything together, and good shooting positions are important:

http://carnival.saysuncle.com/001086.html

you shouldn't allow the barrel to be in contact with anything when sighting in

My mistake with terminology. I was, in fact, resting the front part of the
stock on the rack: the part with the sling hoop.

Another issue might be the stock's length of pull.

Actually, I think the stock is OK, lengthwise. My elbow is bent through 90 degrees when the stock is in the shoulder. With the change in recoil after the pad, I feel it is that bakerlite plate that was the worst offender.

To check your sight height

This is something I've been meaning to do.

If needed, I can buy strap on leather pads, or I may make a wooden one and screw it into place...

To check your sight height

This is something I've been meaning to do.

Tell you what!
My sight height is waaaay off!!!:eek:

Closed eyes, raised rifle to shoulder, nestled cheek, opened eyes, stared at back of bolt...

Yep, I need about another 2cm.

I see whittling in my future... my sunday afternoon future!!

Glad I could be of some help!

My sight height is waaaay off!!!

Closed eyes, raised rifle to shoulder, nestled cheek, opened eyes, stared at back of bolt...

Yep, I need about another 2cm.

2cm? Yep, your head was up there moving around like you were a bobble-head doll..... that'd make for uncomfortable centerfire shooting.

Last edited:
Back