Yikes. Is .308 recoil a surprise for all rifle noobs? (or just me?)

I can not imagine anyone complaining about recoil with a 308....Most of my guns are 308 cal....My wife shoots a 308....She has never complained....I have a 300 win mag that I shoot 180 grain bullets with....Try shootin it first....:D

Have not seen it in previous post but the only reason a .308 might have a bite would be shooting hot loaded 180-200 grainers. For a light weight bolt gun, i'd go for the 150s and a nice gel pad. If after that it's still way too much recoil, you will have to go with a gas gun FNAR, M1A or even a Winchester 100 which are a LOT more fun to play with anyways, in my opinion.

Recoil
Most to least

91/30, big gap....., 2 3/4 slug, m44, big gap again.... 308 semi auto, m1 garand (surplus ammo), EnField, 223 single shot

I think I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one; .308 recoil on the light side. Of course, the rifle weights over 10 lbs too. I've put 60 rounds through it on the bench and barely felt a thing. On the other hand, a buddy's 7mm-08 (lightweight Savage) had a pretty good bite to it, and so did another buddy's 300 Savage. I had a BDL .270 that would leave a mark no matter what. So many variables here...

Mr Pond, might I suggest a Limbsaver Protective Pad (Midway, around $30).

1/2 inch thick shoulder protector that you slip your arm through and then buckle at chest. Really works to take the sting out.

Be Safe/Have Fun!

NRA Life Member

I saw a sweet .308 today,

a Ruger Mark II carbine. Sweet little thing musta' weighed all of 5 1/2 pounds, I suppose.

Then I come home, in love with that little thing, and you guys tell me she'll beat me to a pulp.:mad:

LOP was 2 inches shorter than most bolt actions. Recoil pad was a hard, thin rubber. Maybe a thick, ventilated Limbsaver pad would give me the right LOP and soak up the recoil.

Wish it was a 260 Rem, now.:(

I'm just saying.

Rifle Fit it the heart of the problem

I shoot a Savage 116, 338 Win Mag. About 20 rounds is my limit before the body wants a break.

1. You should check the fit of the rifle to YOUR BODY. If the length of pull (LOP) is too long or short, you will not get a good shouldering.

2. Have a really good recoil pad installed. Insure when the recoil pad is installed the LOP is correct.

3. Proper form. Firm but not death grip on the rifle

4. Do not fight the recoil, "allow" your body to "roll with the punch"

5. Much like a car wreck the key to surviving recoil is to increase the length of time it takes to absorb the energy and to spread the load over the largest area possible.

6. Last WEAR EYE PLUG AND MUFFS!!! much of the "PAIN" in shooting a rifle is acerbated by the noise and Muzzle blast.

Happy Shooting
:cool:

My very first rifle was a Mosin M91/30

I made the very horrible mistake of snuggling up all nice and cozy onto the rifle while shooting off the bench.

I'll tell you, I never did that again.

I've had no real trouble with it since, though I tend to shoot my AR more simply because I want to develop my skills before trying to tackle it again. Don't want to get the flinches because of it.

Only thing I can recommend is to let your body "give" as you fire, don't stay rigid, because that makes it worse.

>>The first 308 I shot was my M-14 in basic with a steel butt plate.<<

Same here, and it's even more fun on full auto! (Guess we're dating ourselves, eh?) :)

if it kicks

If you say it kicks, then it kicks. My dad, who was a pretty tough customer, did not shoot typical deer rifles well, and shot his best w/ .243.

+1 to a good pad. Also, consider a lighter bullet. A 180 slug can be a pretty stiff kicker, and a 150 noticeably lighter.

A note on shooting from the bench.
Set things up so you are sitting upright, rather than low and leaning over the stock.
That helps for reducing the effects of recoil.

I believe it's 50% mental and 50% physical. Most people get caught up on the physical and pay no attention to the mental. If you want it to scare you, or hurt, it will.

Just say to yourself, "I can take this. Bring it on! I'm not a wuss and this is nothing!!" Man up and actually enjoy the recoil. Get a thrill out of it similar to your reaction when riding a roller coaster. Don't fear it, relish in it. Say to yourself "Thank you master. May I have another?"

After that you have conquered the 50% mental aspect of it. When it truly, truly does start hurting your shoulder, you can stop.

Pond, James Pond
That is partly why I am not going to try zeroing my scope, or indeed shooting it again, until I have found a way to counter that recoil. It may be that a fat towel is enough.

Trying to dial in a scope with a Fat towel is not going to give you a true zero on your weapon.

The next time you fire it and the "fat towel is not there or something else the same thickness you POA/POI is going to change.

Consistency in placing your head/cheek on the weapon's stock and the stock into your shoulder is what gives your repeatable accuracy

The size & strength of the particular human shooting a particular weapons determines FELT or perceived recoil...
Meaning a Big Strong guy will have far less trouble that a tiny little limpwristy critter ;)

The size & strength of the particular human shooting a particular weapons determines FELT or perceived recoil...
Meaning a Big Strong guy will have far less trouble that a tiny little limpwristy critter

My wife, all 5'2" and 120 lbs does not follow your reasoning.
X-bolt in .308
870 in 12 ga
She shoots them both all day at the range.

Meaning a Big Strong guy will have far less trouble that a tiny little limpwristy critter

I beg to differ. Perceived recoil is all about the mindset. Typically, big and bulky people aren't worried about being pushed around by a gun like some smaller people are, but that doesn't mean that "tiny" people can't handle a large caliber gun without problems. My 4' 6" brother went out and shot 20 rounds through our 300 Win Mag without a problem and afterwards our 6' 3" tall neighbor put 3 rounds through it before he was done.....

Mindset...skillset....toolset...(through all parts of shooting)

Now, a higher caliber rifle will push a smaller person's shoulder more than a larger person (all else being equal), that is just physics. How they handle it goes back to their mindset.

Last edited:
A bigger person absorbs more recoil, so should feel more too. Especially if it's a M-70 Lightweight .308 their shooting.

My wife, all 5'2" and 120 lbs does not follow your reasoning.
X-bolt in .308
870 in 12 ga
She shoots them both all day at the range.

My step daughter is the same way. She doesn't know what a recoil pad is. When she was 13 she was shooting my SXS 12 gauge and firing both barrels at once shooting clay pigeons. I guess I forgot to tell her it was supposed to hurt. My first wife wasn't into shotguns too much but magnum revolvers is what she loved. She weighed 110 and had small but long fingers. Her fave was hot loaded 44 mags.

^^ Agree with you Hawg; try this, let your buddy put both hands behind your shoulder (to limit your movement) while you fire that heavy recoiling rifle and see how much worse it feels.

Agree with you Hawg; try this, let your buddy put both hands behind your shoulder (to limit your movement) while you fire that heavy recoiling rifle and see how much worse it feels.

It will be a lot worse! It doesn't allow your shoulder to soak up the recoil by "rolling with the punch".

Back