Woman Kills Shower Attacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, interesting debate, not what I necessarily expected, but interesting all the same.

Just to follow-up on the OP: the local news reported that the intruder was shot nine times. I guess she was using a semi-automatic maybe a Ruger Mark II/III, Buckmark or something similar.

She might have been using a 10 shot revolver. If she loaded it with an empty chamber lined up with the pin and just kept firing untill the pistol was empty, it would have been 9 shots.

I am always disappointed when a news thread disintegrates into a "My opinion is more valid than Your opinion" thread.

I am very happy she protected herself. I am very sad she was forced to. I hope she will be well and will recover to a mental state of strength.

She did what she had to. Did she buy the .22 hoping to use it this way? I doubt it (there go opinions again)! But the gun protected an innocent woman from a horrible crime that could have left her damaged for life, or worse, dead.

Let's just be happy together that she is ok and that he will not do this again.

"Smile at everyone, never burn bridges, and always carry a handgun." Mrs. Crooks, my Sixth Grade Teacher on how to get through life.

She did what she had to. Did she buy the .22 hoping to use it this way? I doubt it (there go opinions again)! But the gun protected an innocent woman from a horrible crime that could have left her damaged for life, or worse, dead.

Let's just be happy together that she is ok and that he will not do this again.

+1.
Excellent post. This incident points to the fact that a .22 LR bullet to a vulnerable area of the body is more effective than a .44 magnum to a less vulnerable area.

i guess 22lr can be an efective SD round. especially alot of them. if 22 is all the noise and recoil someone can handle (my wife hates the .38 shes been taught to use, but has access to a 10 shot .22 full of stingers) then i say go for it. this proves a small cal gun is better than none

All is well that ends well. The Home Invader, Israel Perez Puentes, will not do it again, and the lady is physically OK. Good so far ..... but now she has to deal with this ......

To that end, this woman needs the support of Society: The Legal System, Community, Friends and Family.

It is good that she will not be charged, but it would be better if they pinned a medal on her: that would show more support for her (IMO CORRECT) actions than not charging her with anything.

How a person deals with taking life has much to do with how they are brought up, as several posters have noted above. While it is true that some inner-city criminals kill people as pragmatically as a farmer kills a steer, the difference is the acceptablility to Society of the killing. (PETA excepted) Society is fine with hamburger. Society is NOT fine with drive-bys.

A proper (IMO again) Society should have no problem giving out medals for bravery in cases like this: If you want more of a thing, reward it. If you want less of a thing, penalize it.

I would hope Society wants more self reliant people with fewer mental problems. I also would think that Society would want fewer home invaders.

I hope the decision not to charge her is maintained. All too often in these cases when they get a lot of media attention the pressure starts coming in to make an example of someone. So sometimes the initial decision is overruled.

Here's hoping that does not happen this time.

I can't think of any US city or state where a DA would file charges, unless the attacker were to turn out to have had some relationship with the victim that would completely change perceptions.

Assuming this case is as straightforward as it appears, I doubt the lady will have problems from the judicial system.

Haha - my head explodes - just loving it. LOL - Aaron.

I am so smart - so why did I stop at the gunsmith today to drop off a gun that I screwed up? :D

Maybe they have more expertise than moi in such matters? :D

Glenn

Even in Baltimore, I got to think she would not face charges. This was a lady who was attacked by a man with a knife. My 5 year old nephew would be able to figure out this one; so the DA has a decent chance to get it right too LOL. To the dude that said we should not express our opinions; all I can say is anyone at anytime should be careful how he expresses his opinions, but to do so tastefully is cool IMO LOL

I can conceive of an aggressive anti-gun DA seizeing the multiple shots and using it to charge excessive force. I don't think anyone who has actually expended the effort to take a Law degree would be so silly as to think it would ever result in a conviction, but sometimes cases are filed for political reasons.

Actually, a lot of the time cases are filed, or not filed, for political reasons. The more media attention there is the more likely this becomes.

We will use this case to support our belief that firearms are excellent for self defense. Why would we expect our anti-gun adversaries to not do the same thing to support their agenda?

It's a battle.

I can conceive of an aggressive anti-gun DA seizeing the multiple shots and using it to charge excessive force.

Well, based on the facts so far there is no way the DA in this County will file charges. Even though there are some notable exceptions most municipalities in Georgia are pretty sensible about issues like this.

BarryLee, I concur. It's almost as unlikely in Gwinnett as it would be in Cherokee, Cobb, or Bartow. IE, not going to happen.

Lawnboy makes a good point. I may have given the Baltimore DA's more credit than they deserve. They are all anti-gun; it is a prerequisite for the job.

On the news they reported that this guy had eight felony convictions and was currently on probation for his last arrest – burglary. I hate to be callous, but it seems she did what the criminal justice system could not.

Madball6, what you believe, and how you react to the results of your actions, do not always perfectly coincide.

I am not sorry for this decedent. I think the lady's actions were not only justified but necessary. There are still good odds she will have some nightmares over it, mostly from fear but also from regret and / or guilt.

Most people do not seem to be geared to kill without remorse.

I hate to be callous, but it seems she did what the criminal justice system could not.

ummm.....

You might label me as callous, but it seems she did what the criminal justice system would not.

There, fixed it for ya.

I think the lady's actions were not only justified but necessary.

And I think the Lady's actions were not only justified and necessary, but were also laudable. The sooner Society congratualtes her, and stops celebrating victimhood, the less guilt she will have over something that she is blameless in:

She did not kill that man. He killed himself. She just stored the gun and bullets in her bedroom. There is no shame in shooting a rapist to protect oneself, thus there should be no guilt.

She did a difficult thing, at great risk if she failed, which was a net benefit to Society, so she should be commended for it.

The sooner Society stops treating her like a victim, the sooner she will stop behaving like one, and get on with her life, which is what would be best for her, her family, friends, and Society.

She did a difficult thing, at great risk if she failed, which was a net benefit to Society, so she should be commended for it.
Yes, and hopefully she has no further problems, psychological or no. Had it been me, I don't know if I would be standing over the body yelling you got what you deserved you SOB, or kneeling next to it decorating it with street pizza; I've never been in that situation. I do know that if the former, I would like to know people didn't think me a murderer, and if the latter, I'd probably appreciate a gentle pat of assurance on the shoulder. At any rate, she did well, and I congratulate her.

Oh, and to be honest, had I been younger, I would have been dancing in the streets for the cameras over the death of OBL, and I really don't care what anybody thinks of that. It is in fact what I want certain folks to see.

Stevie-Ray, I was quite happy over OBL myself.

My point was that absolute statements tend to make even the best-intentioned of people look hypocritical, because they often don't mesh with other things people may have said about related topics.

Also, even with OBL, I have to bear in mind that killing him inevitably opened up other possible cans of worms. Retaliation, conspiracy theories, and heightened tensions with Pakistan all leap to mind. I think it was still the right thing to do, but I think anybody who only chooses to celebrate the demise of OBL without considering its ramifications is doing themselves a disservice.

Similarly, I think anybody who expects an apparently otherwise mild-mannered, law-abiding woman to be happy about killing a rapist on all her internal levels is probably fooling themselves. This has nothing to do with how society treats her because of the incident, and much more to do with how we are ingrained at a societal level to want to avoid harming others (violence is not something societies in general tend to encourage), and at an anthropological level to avoid killing members of our tribe (because as humans we generally need to rely and, at some level, trust in others).

Would I have shot the guy, if I had come home to find him attacking my lady? My mother? My sister? If he didn't IMMEDIATELY cease and desist, then most certainly yes.

Would I have been happy about it? Mixed bag. I'd have been happy I was able to protect them. I'd be happy that they and I had survived. I'd be miserable that they had gone through the initial encounter. I'd be angry that it had happened. I'd be angry that the guy had forced me to shoot him. I'd feel a mix of resentment toward his family (for raising, tolerating, maybe even loving the monster), but also pity for them (good families sometimes have awful members; good parents sometimes have terrible off-spring; children don't raise their daddies). I think people who think the woman should just celebrate are radically over-simplifying both the situation, and the human psyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back