why I always keep a 357

Love the carbines. Had a couple 357 lever guns but only hung on to my NEF Handi rifle 357/30-30/.410. Super accurate and compact. The 22" barrel is really nice and quiet with my typical 'magnum-lite' loads, a nice change from rifle calibers.

IIRC I paid $135 for the gun and $65 each for the 2 extra barrels back in the 90's. If I had any brains at the time I would have gotten a 22 Hornet and 20 gauge barrels as well. Too late now.

Last edited:
I've owned various S&W 19's and 66's over the years and currently carry a vintage 66-1 2 3/4" with a load of Berry's 148grain hollow based wadcutter loaded backwards over 6.5 of Unique for just a hair over 1000fps at the muzzle. I've always favored lead bullet loads in vintage K frames over the barrel splitting at the forcing cone issue attributed to the impulse pressure of the 125 grain hollow point loads that were common police issue back in the day. I'm currently in lust for a vintage 19 6" barrel with a factory McCall bead, W/O rear sight, target hammer and trigger. So I'll haunt the gun shows and auctions until I find one- shoot, I've owned 3 19's like that and never had the sense to keep one. Cheers

I bought my first revolver in 1980 on a whim. A model 28. Too large for my small mitts, I sold it.
Eight years ago I got back in the wheel business. I knew a couple would have to be .357. I keep the mod 60-15 3'' stoked with wad cutters for my wife. Love that gun. Goes with me on long walks with the dog.

Model 686 Smith, 4 inch barrel was one of my favorites, Still have it along with A Smith 649.

I never will be without one.

I sold my last 357 magnum in 1994, and just lucked into a Colt Trooper III for a bargain price. Made in 1970, but it is mint, almost no wear or rings around the cylinder.

Now I have to start reloading 357 again.. :cool:

And then the.327FM, which revolvers will chamber and fire six different cartridges, and hand loads within each. Near .357 oomph, even more versatility (in my mind anyway), and on a smaller frame. When it was introduced in the Blackhawk I thought, if I want to carry a Blackhawk-sized pistol, I have a Blackhawk in .357. When the Single Seven came out, I experienced a massive exacerbation of Igottahaveitus (a latent, dormant tendency) and wound upwith, so far, three .327s in only a couple years (the Siingle Six in .32 H&R magnum was the gateway gun and caliber...beware). I guess that's what I like the most over the .357, is chambering lots of power in .22 frames.
I used to carry two revolvers when deer/elk hunting, a .357 or .44 magnum, and a .22 for grouse and bunnies. Now it's just the .327 and different ammo selections to match the game.
But I'll always have a Blackhawk in .357, with a Rossi M92 to match. I have well over 6k bullets in .357-.358 to load up, for when I want to kick up a little more dirt.

Quote:
Now it's just the .327 and different ammo selections to match the game.

I would like to know this also. For elk and bear, I have my doubts about.

I find that I can shoot my full house loads double action as fast as my semi autos and more accurately too. I am at a loss as to why that is. When I was shopping for my first handgun the LGS clerk asked me what my intended use was and I replied self defense. He recommended a 357 revolver because of the reliability of the weapon platform and the power. I was looking at a 6" barrel. He convinced me to get the 4". He had me hold the 6" revolver firmly and he was able to twist it out of my hand. I then held the 4" and he wasn't able to twist it out of my hand. So the 4" seems better for SD.

My local range has a rule that forbids the use of the 357 at the indoor range because it would beat up the backstop. The same for the outdoor falling plate range.

About 2000 I feel in love with a Smith and Wesson 66 in a pawn shop. I didn't buy it but I looked at it often. 18 years later, two weeks ago, I won the auction on a Smith and Wesson 66-1 in 4 inch.

Hopefully it's in as good of shape as advertised! I am looking forward to shooting it, my first .357 Mag. revolver!

First time that I shot a .357 was around 1970, and have owned at least one ever since. Carry a .357 today. Like to fire a .357 with Federal 357B or some good old full house ammo at an indoor range and watch the reaction of the S/A shooters on the line. Actually had a guy next to me complain to the range master once that my gun was too loud and hurting his ears. R.O. told him that I was shooting a .357 and it was supposed to be loud.

Actually had a guy next to me complain to the range master once that my gun was too loud and hurting his ears. R.O. told him that I was shooting a .357 and it was supposed to be loud.
And that right there is why I shoot sub-sonic. When I need more punch, just go up in caliber.

You hunt with the .327 and what ammo do you use for ELK or Bear?
Lots of Inuit use a .22 magnum for everything - including polar bear. I suppose a .327 would work also for them, but, the ammo is probably more than they want to spend and bulkier to carry.

Back