why I always keep a 357

Profanity aside, Mavracer, I guess it made your point easier to understand for some, but I'd say that if you can tell the sonic difference between a .44 special and a .38 special, or call the blast of a .44 Magnum any less ear shattering than a .357, your hearing needs to be checked....so lighten up, Doc's got some good things to say without being shouted down. And BTW, he's "well aware of the differences between 38 special and 357 magnum" as you so eloquently phrased it. We get that you're a big fan of the 44's, but the personal attack tirade is out of place here....Rod

Last edited:
Rod
If you can please point out where I compared the blast of magnum to magnum or special to special. No you can't because I specified 44 special and 45 colt vs the 357 magnum.

For the record I'm really just a gun nut and don't have favorites, but what I can't stand is folks that do get so wrapped up in a favorite that they make up facts.

I love the .357. As for firing different rounds, I think Mavracer covered that pretty well, I would also add the .327 to the mix of versatility.

Last edited:
I think the argument about which round is more versatile is silly. The 357 , 44mag and 45 Colt are all versatile in their own way. I personally have a 357mag and a 44mag. Nothing wrong with the 45 Colt but don't see the need for it. The 44mag and the 45 can be loaded down or hotrodded to almost equal potential.

It's so interesting how people are comfortable with widely different handguns. Me personally don't have a single favorite , but I do find myself reaching into the safe and bringing my SA 1911 9mm more frequently than some of my other handguns. I'm brand loyal to nothing. My wife who's been shooting handgun now for about 2 years, loves my Glock G22. It's now unofficially "hers" so i'm told. My 19 y/o daughter is new to handguns and she has taken an immediate liking to my Ruger GP100 357. She doesn't really care for semi's she likes the simplicity of a revolver. As for me, love em' all. None of my 8 handguns stay buried in the back of my safe for long periods from "dislike". I agree with many of you with the fact there are certain platforms that everyone needs to own and learn to shoot proficiently, and the 357 mag revolver is one of them.

Nothing wrong with the 45 Colt but don't see the need for it.
Personal opinion of course, just like I really don't see the need for the .44Mag and just go with the .45 Colt (and the .44 Special) for my needs. All relative. There will always be the guys that think the .357 walks on water, as do the .429 guys, or the .452 guys.... Personally, I like slow and heavy and a bigger hole in my target. Can't stand the crack of the .357 (full loads) so I load down to 158g SWCs moving 1000 - 1100fps. Works for me, may not for others :) .

One of the reasons many of us like the .38/.357 platform is the smaller and lighter gun size relative to the chosen caliber. I've owned a Smith 629 four inch and Ruger Alaskan .454 and both were too big for comfortable concealed carry.

When they come up with a forty something caliber the size of my 3" LCRX, I will be all over it.
And not I am not interested in anything Charter Arms.

I can't wait until Ruger puts out the 3" LCRX in the .357 caliber. That would be the dream "knock around in the woods gun" in these parts.
The 3" LCRX has become one of my favorite guns and it's riding on my hip in a flap holster as I type. The gun in the holster loaded weight only 24 ounces.

Here's my carry rig. Paddle flap holster, flap is removeable. Pocket speedloader holster with pocket for 6 round speed strip.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC04727.JPG
    DSC04727.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
My favorite and most fired gun is a 6" Dan Wesson .357. I've acquired a few semi autos but none can compete with the accuracy of either of my .357's which is my priority. Going to the woods here in Oregon a .357 will take care of any problem you may have. I've also loaded very light loads for a couple of young girls who were recoil shy to get them to be comfortable with a center fire handgun. I don't know of any semi autos that are as versatile.

The .357 Magnum revolver is an awesome gun. From the compact Ruger SP01 to the N frames.

It will generally do anything you need it to do in the lower 48. It’s always been a good defense round. And, you can load poopy rounds for fun or to train new shooters.

That and it has a rich and honest history. From the original Registered Magnum through today.

It’s saved a lot of lives. I can come up with scenarios where it’s too much gun and, not enough gun. But, as a whole, it’s a good solid choice.

I honestly don’t know how many .357 Magnum revolvers I own. It’s quite a few though. And, if there were only one single gun I was forced to use for the rest of my life, it would likely be a .357.

My favorite and most fired gun is a 6" Dan Wesson .357

I have the same gun, and got it when I was 20 years old. I'll never rid myself of it. Most accurate of all my handguns. So, not only is it a 38 Special / .357 Magnum, I can swap the 6" barrel for a 2.5" barrel and put on a smaller grip in about 4 minutes. Great carry/conceal, and great woods gun. I love a .357 Mag, but, I shoot a LOT more .45 Colt, 9mm Luger, and 9mm Makarov than I do .357 Mag. I reload everything but rimfire.

My first handgun was a Smith 686 back in 1987 and since then have owned more 357s than any other handgun. The accuracy and ability to fire a wide range of loads still draws me to it after all these years.

In regards to self defense I no longer use it. The muzzle blast of the vaunted 125s borders on the absurd. I use a 9mm or 45 auto these days.

As mentioned by geologist the 357 is a great carbine round and I have 357s in lever actions by Marlin and Henry.

Fans of the show "Justified" may recall an episode in which a fellow LEO (played by Eric Roberts) is taking practice at an indoor range when Tim Olyphant's character Raylan comes in and asks Roberts, "Is that a GP100?" They chat a bit, with Roberts finishing with a smile and "A .357 will never let you down." I suspect he was right.

And the versatility of the .357 magnum revolver can be complemented by a carbine in the same caliber.
A very good point. Marlin's short bbl'd carbine, the 1894, is about as handy to carry and use as an M1 Carbine...but the Marlin will throw a 158 gr Hornady XTP at just under 1700 fps according to my chronograph, and will group them under 2" @ 100 yds too. It's a real killer on KY white tails.

That same load, through my S&W 4" M19, shows 1250 fps on the chrono screen and will place them into <2" at 25 yds over iron sights. It's a hellofa combination, carbine and revolver, and about as useful for most anything you'd care to shoot in the lower 48.

Best Regards, Rod

Back