why I always keep a 357

ANY gun can misfire and I doubt that autos are more likely to do so than are revolvers. Shooting through cover may not be wise since you can't ID the target. Whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should carry. The 357 is potent, but not sure we need that much power.

S&W Mel 34 in .22 OR, bought in `68. Used it as my back pocket gun while teaching police rookies, Mel 19-2. .357 bought in `72 and was my first duty pistol till it was replaced by a .45acp 1911. Those three cover 90% of any handgun needs. And, if only one, the .357 Mel 19 4" does not leave you at any real disadvantage.

A whole lots of cops got to go home for dinner carrying and using one. 14+ bang noises don't fix problems, but well placed 158 gr8 half jacket SWCs do. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, hat AND the pennant to prove it.

Yep, why we carry .44s and .45s :) .
+1

The .357 is a pudd round compared to the big .44s and .45s. While the .357 can be effective on small game and human sized targets, there is no replacement for displacement and it doesn't hold a candle against bruin or large ungulates.

Not for your Montana monsters of course.

They are adequate for the smaller eastern variety from what I've read our yankee friends say. Ain't got any bears around my neck of the woods.

The .357 is just too good of a round to pass up in my opinion.

A 4" stainless Security-six is my go to trail gun these days and a 2 3/4" Speed-six sees quite a bit of EDC holster time.

To all that wrote about a 44 or 45 caliber revolver, you missed my rational and my reason for the post.

The post is about being able to use multiple types of ammo. There is no revolver out there that allows you to shoot multiple caliber ammo than the 357 in magnum revolver.

I'm not talking about Bear hunting or Elefant hunting. That's absurd. However,
a well placed shot generally will stop "almost" everything & most of the Forum would acknowledge this.

terminology

Technically, isn't a "misfire" the result of a bad primer/cartridge? Thus, a bad cartridge will cause a failure to fire in BOTH a revolver and an auto.

Resolving same in the DA revolver requires another trigger pull, simpler and quicker for most of us. But your 6-shooter is now a 5 shooter, or a 4- shooter if a 5 shot.

The auto will require a tap/rack, slower for most.

While 9mm and 40 and 45 and all the big bore magnums have their place along with the little pipsqueaks, the 357 magnum chambering with the ability to handle 38 special and heavy long 357 magnum loads is the most versatile caliber for the widest range of uses. That doesn't mean it's the best combat round or the best hunting round or the best plinking round or the best deer cartridge but it will do it all!. rc

To all that wrote about a 44 or 45 caliber revolver, you missed my rational and my reason for the post.

The post is about being able to use multiple types of ammo. There is no revolver out there that allows you to shoot multiple caliber ammo than the 357 in magnum revolver.

I'm not talking about Bear hunting or Elefant hunting. That's absurd. However,
a well placed shot generally will stop "almost" everything & most of the Forum would acknowledge this.
You have a point but the big bores will always be superior for the huntsman.

Talk about absurdity lol.
44 magnums can shoot 44 special light loads or heavys, for that matter the can shoot 44 Russian as well.
45 colt is also capable of shooting shorter rounds 45 Schofield and the 45 cowboy special also with moon clips ala the S&W governor and Ruger Redhawk it can shoot 45 acps as well.
And one doesn't have to go after elephants or elefants whatever those are to extoll the virtues of the larger bores the 44 special and 45 colt are capable of handling anything a 357 mag will WITHOUT THE PUNISHMENT OF 35K PSI EARDRUM SPLITTING MUZZLE BLAST.
I'll also add that the 44/45 shot capsules are much more effective on small game.
My 357s aren't going anyplace anytime soon, but they'd go long before the big boys would.

Nice try. Yes you can shoot different 44 or 45 caliber ammo but NOT DIFFERENT CALIBER ammo. The 357 shoots 38's, 38 specials, 38 specialP+ and 357 magnum ammo.
As to the so called blast, you have the wrong revolver then. The 686 plus S&W
3" or 5" etc. etc. etc. shoots full loaded 357 mag ammo all day with " No great perceived recoil" & muzzle blast doesn';t bother me.
Last. My 1967 Colt Python is still in fantastic shape & I don't think you can call it short lived.
I forgot, ammo for SD for my 357's is quite bit less costly to buy than your 44 or 45 csliber ammo since I do not roll my own. Argue what you like but the 357 magnum is the more versatile Revolver.l

Last edited:
Start reloading and the versatility of any handgun round goes up. And to be clear +P is not a seperate round. It is a subload for real original 38 Special rounds the way it was loaded when it first came out. Not the watered down crap they sell now that is no more powerful than the 38 Colt it was meant to replace.

And I agree for larger game a 44 mag or one of the other bigger mag rounds are probably a better choice. But if the animal is that large I just use a rifle. The lowered powered rifle rounds are still more powerful than most of the biggest handgun rounds and much easier to shoot well.

As to the blast I agree the 357 is an ear busting round. But so were the three 41 mags and five 44 mags I have owned and shot. I don't shoot any of them without ear protection.

And for SD I prefer my 357 loads to be loaded down to around the 38/44 load range. Like a 158gr bullet getting around 1100fps. Easily controllable and just a little more than a 38 special (the real 38 special) but not in the same class as a full blown magnum load. If that load won't do it I'm in deep trouble.:eek:

Here's the difference between the 38 sp.& the 357 mag ammo;

Bullet diameter .357 in (9.1 mm) .357 in (9.1 mm)
Neck diameter .379 in (9.6 mm) 0.379 in (9.6mm)
Base diameter .379 in (9.6 mm) 0.379 in (9.6mm)
Designed 1934 1898
Rim diameter .440 in (11.2 mm) 0.44 in (11mm)
Case type Rimmed (R), straight Rimmed, Straight
Case length 1.29 in (33 mm) 1.155 in (29.3mm)
Overall length 1.59 in (40 mm) 1.55 in (39mm)
Maximum pressure 35,000 psi (241 MPa) 17,000 PSI

The Rim diameter is almost the same & the Case & Overall lengths are different. Last, the Max pressure is different. From where I stand, they are not the same.

Finally, you can shoot either from a 357 in magnum revolver. You cannot soot a 357 mag ammo in a 38 special revolver. Thus they are again not the same.

Jesus Christ are you really this obtuse, I'm well aware of the differences between 38 special and 357 magnum.
However unlike you I also know the facts about the 44 special and 44 magnum
The difference is case length and pressure and you can shoot 44 specials in a 44 magnum but not vice versa.

SOUND FAMILIAR

Last edited:
They are analogous to a 44 magnum and a .44 Spl.
Caliber has two designations:
The name of the round or cartridge, 38 Spl

The diameter of the bullet, .357.

In the latter case, both are the same "caliber".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back