Why don't revolver carriers worry about capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prevailing wound ballistic theory does not agree with this. Higher velocity or heavier bullet magnums are not considered to do meaningfully more damage than other bullets that expand and penetrate sufficiently. They either penetrate further and exit the body without further effect, or they cause slightly greater temporary stretch of surrounding tissue without further damage because of the elasticity of that tissue.

If this theory of wound ballistics is true, it has profound meaningfulness especially to those loading and carrying 357 and other "magnum" cartridges. If this is correct, Magnum users have an acute opportunity to do something that is possibly very counterproductive and at best completely useless.

It is important to understand that this theory does not negate all the value of 357 Magnum or make 38 Special "just as good." What it does suggest is that 357 Magnum, 125 grains loaded to 1100 fps is enough and that loading it to 1600 fps or 158 grains to 1400 fps is not any better. But, sorry, 125 grain 38 Special loaded to 890 fps still sucks.

Not true. The old technology 125 grain 357 mag @ 1400 fps is more effective than any common 9mm load. However, few people today can handle one effectively, and they have been largely cast aside for the altar of hicap pistols.

For the same reason the 357 Sig is effective, but, neither are popular with the jello crowd.

In real people, magnum revolver wounds can resemble rifle type wounds. Organs turn to jelly and trauma is indicative of high velocity rounds. Granted, not every one is identical but they are still very effective.

Having been a student of the gun for some decades and having been carrying a gun professionally since people still used solid lead bullets on duty. I can say that for all the "improvement" with pistol bullets, many people still take an awful lot of 9mm bullets to stop them.

The old technology 125 grain 357 mag @ 1400 fps is more effective than any common 9mm load.
Is this based on the M&S one-shot-stop "data"? It's sort of rare to see that quoted these days given M&S' fall from grace.

If there is some hard data on stopping-power/real-world effectiveness from a reliable source that compares .357Mag with 9mm and conclusively picks a winner, I'd be interested to see it.

Is this based on the M&S one-shot-stop "data"? It's sort of rare to see that quoted these days given M&S' fall from grace.

If there is some hard data on stopping-power/real-world effectiveness from a reliable source that compares .357Mag with 9mm and conclusively picks a winner, I'd be interested to see it.

It comes from seeing it in action. As well as talking to other investigators.

You can also see jello tests that show the expansion/fragmentation of the old Remington load.

M&S were not the only ones. Massad Ayoub had the same opinion.

Yes, it was (and probably still is) a common opinion--not arguing that. There are a lot of common opinions when it comes to handgun effectiveness. The problem is always the inevitable disappointment that results from attempts to find hard data to back up those common opinions.

Yes, it was (and probably still is) a common opinion--not arguing that. There are a lot of common opinions when it comes to handgun effectiveness. The problem is always the inevitable disappointment that results from attempts to find hard data to back up those common opinions.

That is going to be difficult to find today as most of its use was pre-internet days. I am not dissapointed, I know it works. The thing is when fired from a snubby it loses some of its mojo, and THEN it is equal to a +P or +P+ 9mm. Of course when you NEED to increase the pressure beyond spec to be effective, you should probably just get a more powerful gun.

Direction? 357 SIG

Direction: It's no bad thing. Looks like it boils down to ,"I like what I like," Next comes the scientific explanation with the response"....what are you thinking." Basically, it's a discussion among "Gun Guys." You don't think this bunch is opinionated? Never, not in a million years:rolleyes:

357 SIG: Really, the 357 SIG actually has a couple of things running against it. Firstly, it is difficult to reload. I does get easier but the learning experience is tough. Next, The Big Box does not carry inexpensive ammunition.

I took my OEM 357 SIG barrel out of my G23 when the 40 S&W brouhaha started. Would my Glock 23 work at ranges 10 yards or less as a 357 SIG. Was not the 357 SIG designed to duplicate some other round in a high capacity self-loader? Now, what round was that?

Is it true that in a crisis situation it is not unusual for individuals fire all the rounds in the handgun in response? I'd still be going while somebody else is looking the the speed loader. :eek:

Added: Is not 1400fps really 1400fps regardless?

Last edited:
Is this thread going the way of the other high-cap thread?, that's the real question IMHO.
Sure looks to be, and I guess it's my fault. Like an addict, "this time I thought I could control it!"

I never said a blessed thing about caliber, magnums, powder or anything. Just capacity. Pure and simple. Do you say "I think 5-6 rounds are plenty, and I like revolvers so I'll carry one?" Or do you say "I am sold on the merits of revolvers for CCW, and so I'll live with 5-6 rounds?"

Here we are discussing magnum ballistics. Anyways, the other thread is still alive and well, so I expect this will still be going at Christmas :)

Right on the topic. The caliber has to be factored in. For example, my revolver is a top break 32S&W long compared to your 10mm compact. I really don't thinks it's possible to have this kind of thread without going in the caliber direction at some point. We'll probably all agree that handgun type and caliber is a hot button topic.

I just ordered a Tom Threepersons holster for my 45 Colt caliber 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero. Guess what's that going to be used for? Talk about old fashioned!

:)
Sure looks to be, and I guess it's my fault. Like an addict, "this time I thought I could control it!"

I never said a blessed thing about caliber, magnums, powder or anything. Just capacity. Pure and simple. Do you say 1)"I think 5-6 rounds are plenty, and I like revolvers so I'll carry one?" Or do you say 2)"I am sold on the merits of revolvers for CCW, and so I'll live with 5-6 rounds?"

Here we are discussing magnum ballistics. Anyways, the other thread is still alive and well, so I expect this will still be going at Christmas :)
I think number 2....

Not discussing caliber etc

Really not discussing caliber in number of shots is odd. Now the ballistics part is another critter. The next question after the number of shots is what? The question would follow is what caliber. Right after that follows the ballistics. Trying to control this stuff is like driving the wrong way up the interstate. :confused:

Except: How would it be if the OP stated the number of shots without regard to caliber....? To me,with some reservations, it would be fourteen. Rogues come in packs around here.

Why don't revolver carriers worry about capacity?
I'm new to owning a revolver, and I'm not asking this question to start any fights. But I noticed that amongst semi auto carriers, you get a range of heated opinions over whether 7 rounds, 15 rounds, or 30 rounds are ever "enough"

Given that a CCW revolver carries maybe 7 at most, depending on caliber, with 5 being typical -- and reloads are much more challenging even with practice -- do revolver carriers just have a different philosophy of what counts as "enough?"

Back in the days of service revolvers capacity was the same, so aficionados would debate the purported merits of the difference calibers. ;)

I carried a 6-shot .357MAG on-duty, and either a .357MAG, Commander (7+1/.45) or .44MAG off-duty, until I got tired of lugging full-size steel on my time off and started carrying 5-shot snubs.

Qualification courses-of-fire could involve shooting positions out to 50yds, so revolver shooters had to pay attention to basics.

Capacity isn't as high on my own list of practical concerns as it may be for other folks who have learned their handgunning skills using hi-cap pistols. I tend to prefer my retirement CCW revolvers to hold 5-6 rounds, and my pistols to hold 6-10 rounds. (Although I do own a "hi-cap" .40 that uses 12rd mags.)

Different strokes.

Personally, I'm much more concerned about being able to put the first 1-3 rounds where I intend for them to go.

J G Terry "I just ordered a Tom Threepersons holster for my 45 Colt caliber 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero. Guess what's that going to be used for? Talk about old fashioned!"

No argument here... that's a perfect packing pistol!!!

Simple, because it's stylish af.

ccw%20self_zpshemoqiea.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

High round counts and reloads are only relevant to extreme outlier "worst case" scenarios for personal protection. We don't have to use "gunfight statistics" to limit our "options" or restrict our preparedness, but we would be ill-advised to overlook the "most likely" conditions to favor extreme outliers.

Worst-case thinking always shifts attention and resources away from the most-likely case. Believing a high-capacity magazine, greater capacity in spare magazines, or faster reloads gives a person an "undeniable edge" is clearly ignoring the most-likely case in favor of preparation for extreme outlier events.

The person who is giving attention and preparation toward the most-likely case is going to be training and practicing the skills that are important rather than dwelling on the possibility of a scenario that requires equipment other than that which gives the best opportunity for first-shot hits, sufficient effect, and complete accountability for every shot fired.

Agree wholeheartedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on the topic. The caliber has to be factored in. For example, my revolver is a top break 32S&W long compared to your 10mm compact. I really don't thinks it's possible to have this kind of thread without going in the caliber direction at some point. We'll probably all agree that handgun type and caliber is a hot button topic.

I just ordered a Tom Threepersons holster for my 45 Colt caliber 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero. Guess what's that going to be used for? Talk about old fashioned!
I believe that holster is a 20th century design. I have a couple of them from El Paso. Here is my 6" SBH 44 Mag in a lined and border-stamped Threepersons with strap, crossdraw.
vRP76Q4QDoJPZYhP6

Last edited:
Vaquero

I had taken my carry permit class using a Vaquero in 45 Colt with 51/2" barrel. The facilitator asked me basically what I was doing with an obsolete revolver. I explained that with some guns you did not need seventeen rounds as one was enough. The current project gun is a Vaquero 44 Magnum caliber that had been screwed up by Bubba. These are great revolvers. One my favorites is a 45 Colt caliber Bisley Blackhawk. In this world there are revolvers then there are revolvers. The carry revolver is a 45 caliber Vaquero with 4 5/8" barrel. To me if the revolver is not chambered for a caliber that uses a 250 grain bullets at the longer ranges needs to be left at home. The double action revolver is a Model 29 4" barrel Smith. Also, in this mix is the Model 28. The Model 28 is marginal but works good. All those guns give excellent accuracy at 25 yards and speak with authority. Shopping for the holster for the short Vaquero as we speak.

Last edited:
I had taken my carry permit class using a Vaquero in 45 Colt with 51/2" barrel. The facilitator asked me basically what I was doing with an obsolete revolver. I explained that with some guns you did not need seventeen rounds as one was enough. The current project gun is a Vaquero 44 Magnum caliber that had been screwed up by Bubba. These are great revolvers. One my favorites is a 45 Colt caliber Bisley Blackhawk. In this world there are revolvers then there are revolvers. The carry revolver is a 45 caliber Vaquero with 4 5/8" barrel. To me if the revolver is not chambered for a caliber that uses a 250 grain bullets at the longer ranges needs to be left at home. The double action revolver is a Model 29 4" barrel Smith. Also, in this mix is the Model 28. The Model 28 is marginal but works good. All those guns give excellent accuracy at 25 yards and speak with authority. Shopping for the holster for the short Vaquero as we speak.
One round? Youre REALLY, "that good"? Do you only keep one round in the gun?

I have SA and DA revolvers, and currently two of the three your list, and other than it was "all I had", all three would be my last choice for a defensive handgun, and Ive carried the 28 and 29, both 4" guns, in that capacity back in the late 70's, early 80's, and know them quite well.

I really have to wonder sometimes whats being measured in the caliber wars. :D :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back