Why all the Taurus hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Taurus sells as many guns in the rest of the world as they do in the U.S. their actual production, and therefore the potential for a problem is higher.
Are we getting a lot of international reports showing a higher percentage of Taurus problems overseas? I would certainly expect, for example, to hear of a TON more Taurus than S&W problems in Brazil because I would expect that there are a TON more Tauruses than S&Ws sold and used in Brazil. But I don't have any information on a comparison of problems in Brazil with S&W and Taurus guns and no one has presented any.

In fact, as far as I can tell, all participants on this thread are in the U.S. and discussing issues with guns in the U.S. where S&W outsells Taurus by a factor of about two to one. Logically speaking, if we were to assume a similar percentage of problems with both lines, in the U.S., we would expect to hear of S&W problems about twice as often as Taurus problems.

Overseas? Who knows? Who's collecting any overseas trouble data that would even make it worthwhile to try to make an assessment? Certainly no one on this thread.

Just so it's clear, nothing in my previous post comparing S&W and Taurus should be taken to relate to anything other than U.S. sales.

Who's logic is faulty?

And experience with Taurus ownership?
No. I've handled a few. The Beretta 92 clone, and a few different revolvers. (I'm not a Taurus fan, so I don't know the models) None of the guns seemed as nice as other guns. Fit and finish felt cheaper. As I said earlier, I'd rather spend the money on a Beretta, S&W, or other quality gun. Fewer problems, and the companies are better at fixing problems.

I would say... Trolls. The have and have not's. Stuck up nerds who spend time surfing the internet. People who have never had a Taurus or even a firearm for that matter. Liberals who want all guns ban.
To quote and distort Will Rogers.."I have never met a gun I didn't like." I am So tired of the attacks on the dying message boards which are converting to Face Book..
Why can't we all just get along?

I have 5. All of them have been 100% functional. I am not doubting people have trouble, but then I have had trouble with the "name brand" guns.

Peggysue, I don't think it is as much trolling as it is just piling on. Someone will mention Taurus, then a self proclaimed expert will expound their theory on Taurus quality weather or not they have actual experience. Then comes their minions that want to sound like one of the cool kids.
Yes, there seems to be a larger proportion of problems with Taurus guns. There are some reports of their customer service not being good. But there is no way a company would not only stay in business, but grow as Taurus has if they were as bas as all the internet comments make it look.
My limited experience with Taurus has been 100% satisfactory. Likewise with my son's. As I said earlier, a friend had a problem with one of I don't know how many Taurus guns he and his father have. But in that case, Customer service was good, and the gun was returned in 100% working order promptly.
I have no fear of Taurus, and will probably be buying more of them. Just not ones with clear side plates, curved frames, or "wings".:D Well, maybe wings if the mechanism they use to hold them in place is secure.
Taurus hate reminds me a lot of Hi-Point hate that raged just a few years ago. With tons of positive feedback on reliability, accuracy, and vs along with some great youtube videos, it has subsided about 90%. I guess all the haters that want to be like the cool kids have jumped on the hate Taurus bandwagon.

I have owned two Taurus products, and my experience hit both ends of the spectrum.
Two years ago, I was looking for a Beretta Bobcat, when I found a Taurus PT22 for what seemed like a great price. It was nickel finished and had wood grips. Looked great. Having owned a Bobcat before, I looked over the PT22 closely at the shop, and couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
When I took it to the range, problems were immediate. Most of the time, it would not fire the cartridge in the chamber, using five different loads that functioned perfectly in my other .22's. When it did fire, it would jam feeding the next round. Finally, looking at the target, I found clear signs that the bullets were keyholing, hitting the target sideways.
Taurus was glad to ship the pistol back to them under warranty. I included a note explaining the problems. They got it back to me in a couple weeks, with a new mag and stronger hammer spring.
Now, it fed and fired, but still keyholed. Sold it with full disclosure, and bought a Beretta Bobcat, which has been faultless.
I thought I would never buy another Taurus.
I had always heard that the PT92 was Taurus' best pistol. I found one online, used but looking like new, from 1997. The price was very cheap, $250. So I bought it. Took it to the range, and it is a fantastic pistol. I used to own a Beretta 92FS, and this PT92 seems like its equal in any metric one wants to apply. Beautifully finished, very accurate, and perfect function.
So, I guess I would be cautiously open to another Taurus purchase. Maybe an older Model 85 38spl snub, another Taurus I have heard good things about.

I don't hate all Taurus products. My daily carry piece is a Taurus.

standard.jpg

I don't care for some of their offerings but I say the same about all manufacturers.

From my experience, they have very poor QA. Beyond a doubt, you can get a decent gun from Taurus but you can also get a very poor gun from. Your chances are about 50% either way and that is simply way too high to ever give them any more of my business.

While certainly ever company makes a lemon now and again, reputable companies stand behind their products. Taurus, well, their customer service is legendary and not for the right reasons.

In my opinion, save yourself money in the long run and buy a better gun up front. Trust me, you will thank yourself latter.

I owned a taurus PT145 and it was perfect

Did you get the 3rd gen mags with them?

Older 24/7 pistols in 45acp have crappy mags. 1st and 2nd mags were garbage until the 3rd gen came out.

Problem is, many people couldn't get the 3rd gen mags unless they came with the pistol. Some would order mags, only to be shipped the 2nd gen garbage.

My OSS came with the 2nd gen mags and sideways failure to feeds are common on the lest couple of rounds with both mags.

The G2 models and the hammer fired 845 have better mags but none of them are cross compatible. Good job Taurus.

All of them? My Taurus 22Poly says Made in USA, Miami Fl.

No just the one, my Walther P5 and P88 were made in West Germany. Says so right on the frame. My SKS is CCCP made. I've owned dozens of DWM and Mauser Original Parabellum Pistols. Mauser Rifles from all over the world, too.
While I have very little firsthand experience with the Rossi/Taurus line of rifles or handguns. I also have no firsthand experience with Bryco-Jennings line either. While American made could you in good conscience advise a new shooter to purchase one of them?
Personally, I would put a few extra dollars toward a Strum-Ruger revolver or pistol over any Rossi/Taurus offering, and yeah just because an American company got the profit.
Nearly all my firearms have been bought from the 'Pre-owned' market. NIB guns from American owned companies like S&W, Strum-Ruger.
The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. As you are certainly entitled to yours.
I do not see where I bashed Rossi/Taurus products.

I do not see where I bashed Rossi/Taurus products
No, you didn't. Your comment was just used as an example as to why some bash Taurus.

I also have no firsthand experience with Bryco-Jennings line either. While American made could you in good conscience advise a new shooter to purchase one of them?
Without any personal experience with either I could only advise of what I had heard about them.
Hi-Points are also made in the U.S., have a very bad, but completely false reputation as junk with many of the same "experts" that slam Taurus. Buying a Hi-Point C9 just to see if it could possibly be as bad as they say, I found out how wrong they were. I would definitely recommend one to someone with limited funds for a gun.

Small sample size but I have owned 3 Taurus revolvers and have had no problematic issues with any. My model 94 in 22lr is my most common range gun and my 44 spl ultra lite is my frequent choice for the car console. I have traded an HK USP because of unresolved reliability issues. Every company, even HK, will churn a lemon out of production. A Taurus is probably more likely to have mechanical flaws than HK but not to the extent that deserves the Internet brand bashing that is perceived by many.

A general warning and notice.​

This is about Taurus guns. If you want to talk about Taurus owners, Taurus haters, Taurus bashers, cool kids, trolls, stuck up nerds, or anything other than Taurus guns you can find another forum and start your a thread there.

The namecalling--even general insults cast wide (or in either direction)--is over in this thread.

This thread is a discussion/debate/exchange of opinions about Taurus products on their own merits (or faults, as the case may be). If it can not progress without the participants having to insult those who like, favor, prefer, own Taurus products or those who do not like, do not favor, do not prefer, or do not own Taurus products then steps will be taken to insure that the proper focus is maintained.

Okay, just the facts...my distaste of Taurus firearms comes from nothing other than negative experiences of buying 7 new Taurus firearms, 5 of which had problems. Each time I sent one back to Taurus it took well over a month to get it back. I have bought quite a few firearms from other companies, such as S&W, Ruger, Glock, etc., and none of them ever gave me any kind of trouble like Taurus.

Last edited:
My PT145 was a 3rd gen. Two tone desert tan frame with blue slide. Good lookin gun snd 100% reliable through thousands of rounds. I regret selling it, but I needed cash at the time

I like some of their designs.

Their QC seems to be all over the place.

There are way too many anecdotes of people sending guns back for warranty work multiple times without a resolution for me to be interested in purchasing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back