Why all the Taurus hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comment wasn't directed towards you Magnum Wheel Man since I didn't see any round counts. I'm glad you like your Taurus firearms. Depending how much the other 380s were being shot at that range would mean more than someone telling me the TCP there is lasting longer than the rest of the rentals. My local range has tons of rentals and the guns that get shot the most over many years usually end up wearing out sooner.

If people want to buy Taurus, that's fine. If they work for you that's great. I lost count how many Taurus firearms I've handled and a few I owned that were sub-par quality weather new or used. Maybe Taurus only sends the rejected firearms to the 10 large guns shops in my area. :confused:

I'm not doubting there are a lot of bad Taurui out there, & that the customer service is lacking... but I don't think it's a singular thing that only Taurus suffers from... I won't say how many guns I own ( but enough to need a walk in gun safe room ) & I've seen issues from nearly every brand I own, with at least one gun... As I said, I put Taurus in with the lower grades of manufacturers... but I don't "hate" them

I just don't understand why there is almost adamant "hate" for Taurus, & not for Jimenez ( or insert your favorite "Saturday night special" manufacturer )... Taurus ( by name, across the board ) are not super high quality & they certainly don't have that refined feel of a S&W ( for example )

... I don't hate S&W, even though my experience with the last gun I purchased new from them resulted in the situation described above... costing me nearly $1000.00 for a revolver I paid for, & couldn't shoot for nearly 6 months... sending it back to S&W unfired, as they told me it was unsafe to shoot... having them send it back to me 3 times unrepaired & still unsafe to shoot... I don't think there is any excuse for that I could have been injured 3 times from the same gun defect... tracking down an area sales rep should not be required to have a defective gun repaired, weather it's S&W or Taurus... & yet, that is what these manufacturers are producing today, & letting out of their factories...

I just don't understand why there is almost adamant "hate" for Taurus, & not for Jimenez ( or insert your favorite "Saturday night special" manufacturer )... Taurus ( by name, across the board ) are not super high quality & they certainly don't have that refined feel of a S&W ( for example )

Not too long ago the mention of Hi-Point would bring the haters out of the woodwork. Probably where they were instead of actually owning one.
But as more, and more credible reports by actual Hi-Point owners of their reliability, and amazing customer service, on the rather rare event it was needed, the few real, many false claims have pretty much gone away.
Just don't know if that balance will ever find the Taurus hate.

As already mentioned Taurus makes some quality gun, their big problem is their quality control. I am willing to spend a bit more if I can buy with confidence, not something you can do with Taurus since buying one is a crapshoot. If they slimmed down their product line, stopped pumping out ridiculous new gun designs every few months, and put all that effort into quality control, they would be a much better company.

I own a Taurus compact in 9mm

I own and use a Taurus 24/7 Pro compact in 9mm for the last 3 years and have put about 2,500 rounds through her with out a problem.

I learned to live with the 1/4 mile trigger pull but the only other complaint I have is trying to find Mags for this one and when I do they are 30 bucks or more for a 13 round, I can never find the 17 round mags, other than those two things I have a gun that works for me and all the time.

I own other hand guns but I find the Pro Compact easy to conceal carry all day.

As already mentioned Taurus makes some quality gun, their big problem is their quality control. I am willing to spend a bit more if I can buy with confidence, not something you can do with Taurus since buying one is a crapshoot. If they slimmed down their product line, stopped pumping out ridiculous new gun designs every few months, and put all that effort into quality control, they would be a much better company.

Exactly!

I''ve always found there's just as many people who are happy with their Taurus as any.
I bought a PT 709 when they first came out. Still have it, still carry it when I need something smallish. Not a bad gun for the money IMHO.

I wouldn't count on the lifetime warranty. It only works if they actually fix the problem. One friend sent his revolver back 4 times and gave up trying to get it fixed. That was about 4 years ago. Don't know about now, maybe an isolated experience.
Doubt I would ever buy another one, but the one I have does just what I need it to do.

I spent 3 years managing the gun counter in a large sporting goods store, 2010-2013. After a few ridiculous rashes of guns coming back for repair, I went through our electronic A&D logs to run some numbers. Taurus handguns (I grouped both pistols and revolvers) had the highest rate of repair among the brands we carried. 1 in 9 guns on our handgun wall was a Taurus, and 1 in 3 of our handguns sent to the manufacturer for repair were Taurus. After Taurus, the ratio of returns vs guns sold was worst for S&W, then Sig (the majority of those were the polymer guns- p250 and the such), then Kimber, then Beretta (I included Stoeger in that), then Ruger, then HK. The rest were fairly negligible numbers either from lack of returns or because we just didn't carry/ sell that many. After that job I spent 4 more months working in a different store that sold guns, and of the new guns we carried, Kel-Tec blew Taurus out of the water for flawed out of the box returns, at almost double.

I will concede that the Taurus (Tauri?) we got back tended to be a few models in particular- the stupid polymer protector was just a joke of a gun. We sent FIVE back from an order of EIGHT we had at one time. Timing issues, freezing issues, a variety of trigger problems, and one that had a hammer stick at half cock the first time it was manually cocked. None of those were ever shot- we discovered those just by having them out on our wall. And the PT/ Millennium series were just terrible- and it wasn't any single thing. Almost every one sent back through us was a new, unique, and often baffling problem.

Blob of cosmoline interfering with the firing sequence? Check. Trigger that wasn't actually attached to the sear and flopped about impotently when you wiggled the gun? Check. Magazine falls out after every shot? Yep. And no, that wasn't user error- I tried it myself.

Then there is the fact that there are problems that aren't actually "defects" according to Taurus. I didn't keep track, but I know I had more than a handful of their semi-autos brought back because they didn't fire when the trigger was pulled- it was like a 4 stage trigger. After the break you had to continue to squeeze hard to get the thing to eventually go off. I don't think that was user error either, as we never had a single other brand with that problem, just a few models of Taurus.

Any manufacturing line will occasionally put out a lemon, that doesn't make them a bad company. But in my experience, Taurus is the opposite- once in a while someone is bound to get one that actually works.

I can say we never had issues with the PT1911s, so there is that. And we rarely had issues with the Trackers- I know we had at least two returned, one for being out of time and the other I strongly believe was just being operated by an idiot... I can't blame the company for that one. The trackers are a cool looking gun, no denying it. And the judge seems to be a well-made gun- I don't recall any issues with those (except the poly one, we had a few with those), or very few. But I would never be able to justify buying a Taurus when you can always get a Ruger of comparable frame size/ stats in the same price range for WAY higher quality and customer service which isn't even on the same charts as Taurus. I choose not to throw my money at a company that will use it to fund more shoddy, unsafe handguns.

Taurus has a "lifetime” warranty, but it doesn't matter if you've had the gun for a week before it exploded, I've seen many instances of them finding some stupid little detail that they use as "proof" that it wasn't a mfg defect, it had to be a user error of some kind. Compare that to a company like Ruger or FN or Springfield who may have limited warranties of a year or so, however if you find that your 20 year old gun suddenly isn't working the way it should they will take care of it because they have pride in their brand and products.

So yes, I think Taurus makes guns that are so low quality it is downright irresponsible. And it is a good thing this thread isn't about Kel-Tec... that's a rant for another day. This is not a mindless decision, it has nothing to do with price range, politics, or snobbery, and it is certainly not based on hearsay. I'm not an armorer or a gunsmith or an engineer, but I can count pretty well and the numbers are clear to me on this.

After Taurus, the ratio of returns vs guns sold was worst for S&W, then Sig
So, after the Kel-Tec you say is even worse, the third most hated gun after Taurus should be S&W, then Sig.
If of course the hate were based entirely on quality. Which obviously it isn't.
Don't see pages, and pages of S&W, and Sig hate. Actually very little Kel-Tec either. Mostly Taurus, Heritage Rough Rider, and although it has subsided substantially, Hi-Point.
Like it's been said time, and time again in these Taurus threads. "Do you feel lucky?"

Banger, What model of Beretta was coming back for repair?

As for the Taurus guns. I have noticed a common theme. Guns they clone like their clones of S&W revolvers or Beretta 92's and 1911 clones, tend to have better reputations.
The Taurus designed guns tend to have the worse reputation

A question within question.

What do you people think about Taurus 66 .357 mag.4" barrel 7 shot?

I bought a used one, looks like new, but not fired (yet).
I know it NOT a Python.:D

Last edited:
It seems some of the guns people seem to look down their noses at (glocks, rugers) are the ones I've heard the very least complaints about.

One of the Taurus guns I owned was a PT1911. It was junk right out of the box.

I tried to shoot it with 7 different brands of ammo, FMJ & HP. I tried it with 6 different high quality magazines. It fed 50% of the ball ammo and 0% of the HP ammo.

The other problems was that the front strap checkering tips bent under normal use, the "bluing" rubbed off like it was applied with a sharpie marker, the right side safety fell out and it developed hammer follow after the first few magazines.

I work on 1911s all the time, but I wasn't about to waste my time with a piece of garbage like that. Luckily the shop I bought it from gave me a refund and that was the last Taurus I wasted money on. It was one of the first production models, but it was a copy of a classic design so you have to be pretty incompetent to have that much wrong with it. I still laugh at the original magazine advertisement that made you think you were getting a few thousand dollars worth of upgrades in their $600 1911. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've never owned a Taurus, because all my friends that had them constantly complained about them. They were always talking about the problems with them, and always having to send them in for repairs. That was enough for me to steer clear of them.

No Bashing, but an honest opinion....

Why all the Taurus hate?

There are a number of things in this old world I hate, but Taurus products are not one of them. I've owned one Taurus revolver about five years, and put several thousands of rounds through it with out any real problems. In fact it lives in the trunk of my car, as my "holly poop" I knew I should have remember to bring a gun with me, back up. Is it a quality product like my Smith and Wesson revolvers, NO. But it does serve it purpose.

I will not buy another product, do to their spotty quality control, I'm at a point in life where:) I don't have to settle for what may be a second tier product.

I do wish that Taurus would spend more time improving its' product line and quality control instead of trying to redesign the wheel.

I've never owned a taurus and don't think of myself as a tarus hater. But with numerous complaints made from owners, why would I take a gamble on one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back