Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?

I think the Ruger locks the striker in position 3...
The safety tab combined with the notch in the striker appears that it might prevent the striker from moving forward more than about 0.1". However I'm not sure the geometries of the parts are actually suitably designed to overcome the very strong striker spring used, especially given a small running start of the striker. It's not easy to test the reliability of the striker notch/safety tab without permanently altering the safety, so I haven't tested it myself. Don't get me wrong, I like and use a Hawkeye myself. I'm just attempting to accurately represent the design.

Winchester's bolt shroud mounted safety is considerably different in the details, but the Ruger design does offer functionality that is somewhat similar, if not completely suitable. Though I greatly prefer the Winchester M70 safety and trigger design over the Ruger, I always seem to find Rugers instead of Winchesters when I'm looking for a hunting rifle. So I've hunted mostly with the Rugers; with success, and without incident.

BBarn,

I completely agree with your sentiment. I was just pointing out the Ruger’s capability. I have looked at one closely, but not been able to adequately determine if it works. Being a Ruger, i’d assume it works. It does engage with a flat spot to the striker and it does have a detent to hold it there.

I too prefer the Winchester setup, but the few super grades I have handled were a bit rough and wobbled in the bolt. Kimber executes this safety better.

Kimber are fine guns in my opinion, but there is so little action and barrel metal on them. The are probably safe and balance well, but I don’t think I could shoot that accurately at that weight. It would make me another whiner on the web about accuracy....

Back