Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?

What is the yard stick?

What is the yard stick for modern customs. There were earlier classics that greatly influenced modern classics. What about the post WW1 custom rifles. These would be custom made to order Mauser's and Springfield's. Workmanship on top specimens was spectacular. Today's rifles are classic styled. How many custom features originally found on those early custom rifles are found on today's classics? Could the Model 30 Remington and Flat bolt Ruger's be added to our factory list?

Last edited:
I would go for a CZ American. I have one in .221 Fireball. It rivals many for looks, and accuracy that cost many times more than what it does. An awesome rifle at any price. With a plus that it is at a very good price point, and does not sacrifice any quality, or fit and finish to arrive at its price.

one of my favorite American classic,s is the remington 722 in 257 roberts-300 savage -308 Winchester. I own five and have found them to be honest hard working rifles, pretty plain with solid performance over the years with out any problems and with the right loads will shoot MOA. I do have a Winchester featherweight SS walnut stock CF in .270 that gets left at home 90 percent of the time, no sights. but they could be installed by a good gunsmith for not a lot of money. good luck on your hunting with what ever rifle you decide on.

My vote for an All American classic is my 1959 Winchester Model 88 in .308. Talk about classic American; a levergun is America. Add to that the absolutely stunning lines and beautiful wood of this pristine rifle and it's hands down my favorite hunter. And chambered in .308 and fitted with a Revolution 3-9 scope, it's good for anything in North America.

WqIU1wP.jpg

To me, the quintessential American Game Hunting rifle will be a lever action- .30-30, .300sav or .308.

Winchester 94 or Savage 99.

Nothing that you identified, but you got away from my idea of the classic American Game Hunting rifle when you narrowed it to bolt action.

In bolt action, the 7x57 Mauser cartridge in my mothers' old 1895 Mauser is hard to beat: sporterized, with scope- and costing less than the amount you mentioned.

My Savage 99EG [.300Sav] cost $400, with scope. My 99F [.308] cost $500 with scope.

But, I live on the west coast, and doubt I'd take a shot at anything farther than 200 yards at most [and most under 120 yards].

Well, Montana Rifle Company answered me back:

Hi Nathan,
Thank you for thinking of us !
Currently, due to production demands, we are sticking to our standard specs as shown on the website.

That is disappointing since their website reads:

Will customize Production Rifles through the Custom Shop

I get it though and appreciate the honesty....no need to order and wait 2 years for sights to be installed.

I know what you mean about Montana Rifle Co....I was interested in an Extreme X3 in 260 Rem (one of their catalog rifles). Of the two dealers in the state, I went to the closest one and was told it would be a minimum of 6 months. I had my LGS that I do 99% of my business with check and they were quoted pretty much full MSRP and a minimum of 6 months. I ended going with a Ruger FTW rifle...

Jerry

Aside from the inlaid sling swivel bases, the discontinued Ruger 77 MarkII (RS variant) rifle came with most of the things you want, including a 3-position safety, "slick" controlled-feed type bolt action with a fixed extractor, oil-finished, "classic-styled", hand-checkered stock, blued finish and factory iron sights. Chamberings included .243 Win., 6mm Rem., 25-06 Rem., .270 Win., and .308 Win.
Mine is chambered in 7x64 Brenneke and has proven to be accurate and reliable.

Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?
Every manufacturer, everywhere, makes that exact rifle.
No, not really, because the OP said
CRF action with a fixed extractor and slick bolt
3 position bolt safety
And when you put in both CRF (which eliminates Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, actually most rifle makers) AND 3-position safety, you are left with a pretty scant field. Let's see . . .

Winchester Model 70 Classic
Ruger Hawkeye
Kimber 8400 or 84

I can't think of any others right off the top of my head. There are possibly a couple more. But the list gets small pretty fast!

45/70 with those magnum Buffalo Bore. Twisted this old guy up like my fishing line. Very quickly I started reloading my own to keep from becoming a knot. A marlin lever action

Last edited:
So, what do you think...Ruger Hawkeye African 6.5x55
Nice rifle, Just about everything you said you were looking for. I'm not a fan of iron sights on my rifles nowadays, I put the money towards better glass.
they also made it in 275 Rigby, but that is even more rare!
Now that gets my interest. I owned and hunted with a Ruger M77 in 7X57 for many years (7X57 is the metric designation, .275 Rigby is the British designation). It killed deer, hogs, jackrabbits, ground squirrels, coyotes, you name it.

The Hawkeye is a very nice gun and the African meets most of the OP criteria. I'm not sure about the safety however. If you want a safety that blocks trigger movement in one safe position, and blocks trigger movement and locks the bolt down in the second safety position, the Hawkeye meets that criteria. However I, if you want a bolt mounted safety, a safety that directly blocks the striker, or a safety that permits bolt disassembly without tools, I believe you will need to look elsewhere.

As to the question in the subject line, there are basically 3, Winchester, Remmington and Savage. Walk into any hunting camp and you'll find them. As for the one classic that everyone drooled over, that would be the Weatherby Mark V. Caliber preference varies all over the board but in all my years of hunting, it really didn't make a huge difference. Each hunter knew his rifle simply because very few had more than one.

However I, if you want a bolt mounted safety, a safety that directly blocks the striker, or a safety that permits bolt disassembly without tools, I believe you will need to look elsewhere.

I think the Ruger locks the striker in position 3...
safety.jpg

Pick from 3

As to the question in the subject line, there are basically 3, Winchester, Remmington and Savage. Walk into any hunting camp and you'll find them.
I have looked those over. The pre-64 Winchester model 70 was the classic, right? Why? And it was based on the classic hunting rifles of early Africa hunting made from sporterized military Mausers.

What do these all have in common? Great mid range calibers like 6.5x55, 275 Rigby, 30’06, 270 win....bolt safety, controlled round feed, fixed ejector

As for the one classic that everyone drooled over, that would be the Weatherby Mark V. Caliber preference varies all over the board but in all my years of hunting, it really didn't make a huge difference. Each hunter knew his rifle simply because very few had more than one.
I agree...Mark V 257 Weatherby!

Back