Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?

What's an "inlaid sling swivel"?

You talking a swivel stud, or sling shackles, or something else?

duncan-swivel-base.jpg

The pre-64 model 70 is a fun search...I’ll keep looking there, but I’ll bet 7mm-08 is newer than that, isn’t it?

The 7mm-08 was a wildcat from the late 50's until 1980 when Remington introduced it as a factory round. Any pre-64 M70 in 7mm-08 would not have a factory Winchester barrel (if that matters to you).

I’m mentally pretty hooked on the Kimber Super Grade or maybe the Winchester Super Grade.....I also really like the NECG sights. NECG will put them on and reblue, but that looks like a $1200 upgrade....ouch!

Last edited:
A 284, utilizing a substantially fatter case, will very likely reduce magazine capacity. If you look long enough, there will be a pre-64 Winchester that will turn up in 7mm Mauser. But here's a newer one you can buy right now and add sights later: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783669079
Since the features you want are extremely unlikely to be all found on one gun, you must expect to add some of these features to get what you want anyway.
Another consideration, since you will be wanting to use iron sights, is to perhaps have a gunsmith mill a stripper-clip slot in the receiver. A lot of the older model 70 Winchesters came with stripper-clip slots as standard, just like its predecessor, the model 54.

Just be careful when looking at Model 70s. One of your requirements was CRF. All of the M70s made for a few decades were push-feed, like the 6.5X55 linked to earlier.

BBarn said:
Just be careful when looking at Model 70s. One of your requirements was CRF. All of the M70s made for a few decades were push-feed, like the 6.5X55 linked to earlier.

Good catch on that. A brief look seemed like it had a claw in picture #1 but I think the jeweling is wore off, but is clearly visible on the left side. Again, the "XTR" stamp on the left side is another indicator that I didn't catch the first time.

Jerry

Yes, we are talking now. With a 2K budget, you should easily win this auction and check everything on you list. I won one off gun broker last year (sans sights) for about $1200. No regrets.

Jerry

Bolt action huh Well I have a 1903 Springfield in 30-06 completely custom but $2000 would only let you look at it! Weight's right at 8# with a 2 3/4x Denver Redfield scope! I've also got that mod 70 featherweight in 6.5x55. I'd sell it to you for $2000 and throw in the scope for free, new 2-7x Redfield. Of course I only paid under $800 for the rifle brand new and I think they still go for about the same today. Really really nice rifle! If you want a short action just look for a 260 Rem or much easier to find a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Featherweigh in 6.5x55 is a long action! If you weren't happy with it then your being to fussy, really really nice rifle!

If 30-'06 was on the table and if I felt like I had to have a brand new rifle, it would be the model 70 Alaskan. But that may be getting too far beyond the OP's parameters. But then, the model 70 wasn't even made in a short action until relatively recently and he mentions some post-war calibers that also are outside the pale of his question: "Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?"
To my thinking, then, a 7mm08 would not be acceptable, but the 7mmx57 would be. Likewise, a 308 wouldn't be acceptable, but a 300 Savage would.
But it's Nathan's dream-rifle, so we can hardly put our own stamp on it. This is the kind of stuff that keeps gunsmiths and custom rifle builders in business.
I think he should look for a pre-64 Featherweight in 257 Roberts or 7x57, but like I said, it's his dream. We all have our own.

I work at a Gun store. As I was reading your list of attributes you were wanting, and more specifically the slick bolt, I was thinking of the Winchester M70. Almost all the other bolt action rifles have bolts that are fast but they are loose. They don’t have the smooth, almost hydraulic, feel to them like the Winchester does. I believe in your price range you can indeed get a super grade as was aforementioned by someone above. I think a Weatherby might come in second place. The ONLY drawback about the new Winchester’s is that they are now made in Portugal. Their lever guns are from Japan and their shotguns are made in Turkey, all on the same equipment they all used to be made with here but hell, Brownings, Weatherby’s and a few other top shelf rifles are made in other places as well. If it has to be American made the Remington and Ruger are still made here and are still quality Guns but I don’t think Ruger is making a Walnut stock bolt action this year.

"Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?"
In the present tense, I'm not so sure, since the question implies made in America. But in the past, the correct answer is Winchester, absolutely. Honorable mention goes to Springfield, etc., but Winchester set the pace. There are really only two bolt-action calibers at the top of the most classic list: 30-'06 Springfield and 270 Winchester. There are several other good and classic calibers, but they're riding in the back seat. I prefer 270, but if I had to take a second choice, it would be 30-'06. Still, the 257 Roberts is as American as Apple Pie, and kicks less than the other two.

I work at a Gun store. As I was reading your list of attributes you were wanting, and more specifically the slick bolt, I was thinking of the Winchester M70. Almost all the other bolt action rifles have bolts that are fast but they are loose. They don’t have the smooth, almost hydraulic, feel to them like the Winchester does. I believe in your price range you can indeed get a super grade as was aforementioned by someone above. I think a Weatherby might come in second place. The ONLY drawback about the new Winchester’s is that they are now made in Portugal. Their lever guns are from Japan and their shotguns are made in Turkey, all on the same equipment they all used to be made with here but hell, Brownings, Weatherby’s and a few other top shelf rifles are made in other places as well. If it has to be American made the Remington and Ruger are still made here and are still quality Guns but I don’t think Ruger is making a Walnut stock bolt action this year.
All of the Standard Hawkeyes on their website are listed as having American Walnut Stocks. Am I missing something?

No one does what you want currently, you'll have to find a Pre-64 Winchester M70 FWT in .243 or .308 to get what you're wanting. The wood may or may not have the figure you're looking for. That or buy a current model M70 swap out the stock for a custom to get enough drop to align with sights you'll have installed, add a low power scope with a small objective lens to not need a cheek riser, and put it in a set of Leupold QR/QRW rings and bases and you'll have what you want.

I have a Win Super Grade Mod 70, and the stock already has perfect drop for iron sights, even though the rifle doesn't have them. My cheek is practically hovering over the stock to see through a scope.

Back