Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?

Nathan

Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle? You know, the one you dreamed about as a young boy carrying a 12lb sporterized P17 over the hills and through the woods chasing that elusive deer or elk...ok, enough about me! Back to the rifle! In my old age, I have some guns I can sell off or some salary to pull from, so I want to buy that rifle. It is:

CRF action with a fixed extractor and slick bolt
3 position bolt safety
Blue or matte SS
QR scope mount and barrel mounted fixed sights
Checkered, oil finished walnut stock with some figure, but not garish
Inlayed sling swivels
A little meat...6.5-8lbs before scope
Smart low recoil round like 7-08, 308, 6.5x55
A reasonable price....under $2000 with $500 in optic and mount

Every manufacturer, everywhere, makes that exact rifle.
A 6.5 pound 7-08, .308 or 6.5x55 will hurt to shoot. The 6.5 x 55 uses a long action too.
A P-17 doesn't weigh 12 pounds in its original military form.

What you sir, are after, is a recent production super grade Winchester Model 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be a Winchester model 70. Classic calibers are those that were commonly around before the Second World War. There weren't many made in 6.5x55mm, so you are probably looking for a 270 Winchester. Want less recoil? Then consider the 257 Roberts. Another classic caliber is 7x57mm. Most of the classic calibers in a Winchester model 70 will be few and far between and often carry a premium price tag with the exception of 270 Winchester and 30-'06 Springfield.

I believe Winchester, Kimber, and Montana Rifle Company make rifles meeting your first three criteria. Most standard production rifles I'm aware of don't even make something with those three. Getting something with sights, oil finish, and inlaid swivels may prove a challenge without going a custom/semicustom route.

A P-17 doesn't weigh 12 pounds in its original military form.

I weighed it. The sporterized P17 Winchester I used with 4x Weaver scope was 12 lbs....it could have been off a pound, but even 11 is kind of heavy. It had the barrel cut and crowned to 24 or 26”.

I have to throw this out there... it would be next rifle... at least I think so this week! [emoji6]

Ruger Hawkeye African - 6.5x55 Swede !

I think it meets all your criteria.

It’s this year’s special run.

No one does what you want currently, you'll have to find a Pre-64 Winchester M70 FWT in .243 or .308 to get what you're wanting. The wood may or may not have the figure you're looking for. That or buy a current model M70 swap out the stock for a custom to get enough drop to align with sights you'll have installed, add a low power scope with a small objective lens to not need a cheek riser, and put it in a set of Leupold QR/QRW rings and bases and you'll have what you want. However, that might blow your $2K budget by just a little.

That's a nice Ruger. Though it has a three position safety, it's not a bolt mounted one like on a M70. The bolt mounted ones like on the M70 and a few others are nice for at least two reasons. They actually cam and hold the striker back when on safe, and permit bolt disassembly without the use of tools.

I have seen quite a few that meets your criteria.

Name one. I can't think of a single manufacturer that meets all criteria.

You'd have to go the custom route. A Winchester will come closest and need the fewest custom touches.

The big kicker is the open sights.
Otherwise i'd say a ruger.
The other kicker is the under $2,000.
Otherwise i'd say a Dakota.

Back